Looks like a good idea if you are stuck out on an open plain.  If you are in the woods the bigger threat in a tent is falling trees or branches.

Maybe if they modified the design slightly to protect against all of the effects of a thunderstorm.

Make the sides out of hard shiny aluminum, round off the top so that rain and debris slide right off, and put a set of wheels under it so you can move it to the perfect spot.

Oh, wait......    uh nevermind    ;)

18 hours ago, Avatab.... Steve said:

Looks like a good idea if you are stuck out on an open plain.  If you are in the woods the bigger threat in a tent is falling trees or branches.

Maybe if they modified the design slightly to protect against all of the effects of a thunderstorm.

Make the sides out of hard shiny aluminum, round off the top so that rain and debris slide right off, and put a set of wheels under it so you can move it to the perfect spot.

Oh, wait......    uh nevermind    ;)

:lol:  you funny

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I love storms in a tent. I know it's not a safe place, but I enjoy it anyway. 

Because we have a pop up, I always check the canopy above us when we get to a site. If any branches looked iffy, I would ask for another site, or move the camper to a location of the site not directly in the path. 

We had a good thunderstorm last week, in the middle of the night, at the Fort. I knew we would have been safer to move to the comfort station until it was over, but didn't want to get out of our cozy bed. Just said a little prayer and went back to sleep. 

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 0:24 PM, twiceblessed....nacole said:

I would not enjoy that.  I hate them in a house...in a tent, I would need drugs.

I was fortunate enough to have a bottle of whiskey o curl up with the last time I was caught in a lightning storm in a tent....

it was fine... really :blink:

I love storms in a tent. I know it's not a safe place, but I enjoy it anyway. 

Because we have a pop up, I always check the canopy above us when we get to a site. If any branches looked iffy, I would ask for another site, or move the camper to a location of the site not directly in the path. 

We had a good thunderstorm last week, in the middle of the night, at the Fort. I knew we would have been safer to move to the comfort station until it was over, but didn't want to get out of our cozy bed. Just said a little prayer and went back to sleep. 

That storm last week scared me pretty bad. We were in a tent and I think it was about 1:00 am when it got cranked up. My sister was texting me from Georgia to check on us. The wind was enough to wake me up about 30 seconds before my sister started texting. She's real good about keeping an eye on the weather when I'm camping (I'm the baby so she's always worried about me). We got dressed and ready to bolt if we had to. I was shaking like a leaf from fear. The worst part was how loud the thunder was and how bright the lightning was. But, we do tend to experience at least one bad storm on most of our trips. That was the first one that rattled me like that, though.

2 hours ago, sherryberry said:

That storm last week scared me pretty bad. We were in a tent and I think it was about 1:00 am when it got cranked up. My sister was texting me from Georgia to check on us. The wind was enough to wake me up about 30 seconds before my sister started texting. She's real good about keeping an eye on the weather when I'm camping (I'm the baby so she's always worried about me). We got dressed and ready to bolt if we had to. I was shaking like a leaf from fear. The worst part was how loud the thunder was and how bright the lightning was. But, we do tend to experience at least one bad storm on most of our trips. That was the first one that rattled me like that, though.

Awww, I'm so sorry to hear that. I feel bad that you were frightened by it. You could have taken your air mattress and blankets and set up in the comfort station. If I learned anything from our latest trip to the Fort, it's that mostly everyone is completely chill. I never met anyone that wasn't, I only know they exist from this forum. 

It was really loud. It woke me from a sound sleep, that had been induced by two different rx sleeping medications. Even so, I loved going back to sleep to the sound of it. Not even sure how long it lasted because I did fall back to sleep quickly. 

What loop were you on? 

Awww, I'm so sorry to hear that. I feel bad that you were frightened by it. You could have taken your air mattress and blankets and set up in the comfort station. If I learned anything from our latest trip to the Fort, it's that mostly everyone is completely chill. I never met anyone that wasn't, I only know they exist from this forum. 

It was really loud. It woke me from a sound sleep, that had been induced by two different rx sleeping medications. Even so, I loved going back to sleep to the sound of it. Not even sure how long it lasted because I did fall back to sleep quickly. 

What loop were you on? 

We were on the 1700 loop. We rode our bikes around several loops and looked for fiend signs, but didn't see any. We recognized some of the people on our loop from past trips. We would have run to the comfort station or got in our truck if we thought the storm was getting too dangerous. One of my biggest fears is tornadoes and I was mostly scared that something like that might develop from a bad storm. We stayed up for a couple of hours until we knew that the storm was totally gone. The storms we experienced in the past were mostly strong winds and lots of rain. That gets a little scary because the sides of the tent are coming in towards us, lol.

3 hours ago, sherryberry said:

We rode our bikes around several loops and looked for fiend signs,

I'm going to have to look into this. I remember back in they day, looking for a pink flamingo to paint purple. Is there are standard fiend sign? 

We've never tent camped through a FL storm, but did some biggies up north. Only scared me when our kids were little. One night I completely emptied out the van (a huge G30 Chevy van) and made beds for all the kids inside. The rear space perfectly held a queen sized air mattress for us and the two youngest. The older two had their own bench seats. 

I'm going to have to look into this. I remember back in they day, looking for a pink flamingo to paint purple. Is there are standard fiend sign? 

Here's my fiend sign. I usually just park it at the end of my site, by the road. I've met a few people from here, because they saw the sign as they were looping.

F55BB294-8CD7-4CB9-AE57-02811DF4C16F.jpg

Cool! I don't remember these existing before. I'll have to get one before we go next time. 

No screen name anymore. LOL I just changed to to my real name since I noticed, in my absence, lots of people had added their real names to theirs. I guess everyone at FW will know my name, but that's good with me. 

On 2/16/2017 at 10:19 PM, Roberta said:

I know some have painted pink flamingos, but we found a company that makes them in lots of colors (supposedly for sports fans to match their favorite team.)  Our "team" is Fort Fiends!   I made little coonskin hats for them.  Great until it rained.  Then they looked a bit like the Beatles.  I will try to find a pic.

1 hour ago, DramaMama .......... Janet said:

I know some have painted pink flamingos, but we found a company that makes them in lots of colors (supposedly for sports fans to match their favorite team.)  Our "team" is Fort Fiends!   I made little coonskin hats for them.  Great until it rained.  Then they looked a bit like the Beatles.  I will try to find a pic.

That's what we have been working on for our next trip complete with the coonskin hat. With your comment about the rain I might have to figure out some type of cover like a mini Fort.

3 hours ago, DramaMama .......... Janet said:

So adorable! I would love to see pics!