Last Day To Cancel...Tent & Rain

Today is our last day to cancel and the forecast is calling for thunderstorms Monday.

We are first time tent campers and not sure how bad it will be in a tent with the rain. Need advice!!

This trip we are checking in Sunday evening and checking out Wednesday, we are NOT going to any parks. This trip is solely to tryout camping (got a tent for Christmas ) and hanging out at the fort.

What would you do????

Thank you for any advice,

Nicole

Do you have an ez-up to put over the tent? Most tents will hold up to some rain. You can also get a waterproofing spray to help seal the tent. You can always go to Downtown Disney during the rain and explore the shops to get out of the rain. And with a couple of days after it should dry off for packing up. 

I would also bring some painters plastic to put under the tent to keep the bottom drier. Make sure when you cut it it doesnt stick out past the bottom of the tent. That will just draw water under the tent. 

I would go. Rain can happen anytime you are camping. Overtime you get the stuff and skills to deal with that. 

Welcome btw!!

If you are already set up I wouldn't think it should be to much of a problem it looks like it is just gonna be scattered storms but you never know. You can always go to one of the other resorts or find a dry place to hang out at the Fort if you are worried about sitting in a tent all day while it rains. I will admit it has been many years since I tent camped so I think I only remember the good and none of the bad parts of it haha.

You can cancel your reservation at anytime. Up to 5 days before your reservation you get your deposit (equal to your first nights rate) back, after the 5 day cut off you can change your reservation and your deposit will be applied to the new reservation. Just don't tell them you want to cancel, you just want to change the dates.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Also, there is a trick, if you get up to the day of or day before your trip and the forecast gets worse, you can CHANGE your reservation to any day in the future, such as a few months out. Then a couple days later, you can cancel and get your deposit back.

WELCOME! 

If it was just one afternoon, I'd still go. Like others have said, there are plenty of places to go that will be dry. The Wilderness Lodge is a quick bus ride away. It's pretty, and you can hit Territory Lounge without a reservation. Or like Jason said, head to Downtown Disney. Raglan Road and the dancing (and bread pudding) will keep you occupied until it blows over. 

Make sure you don't have anything touching the sides of the tent as that can cause it to wick water. 

If this is a new tent I would take the time to get some seam sealer to seal the interior seams of the tent and rain fly. After that has dried I would assemble the tent, wet it down with a hose and let it dry to tighten up the exterior seams and stitching. After that you should be pretty water tight along with following the various suggestions above. One thing I always kept with us when tent camping was a folding shovel. This way I could trench around the tent in heavy rains to direct the water away. They are inexpensive and can be found at any army surplus store. 

Steer away from 1510.  Beautiful site... until it rains.  For some weird reason the sand pad won't drain.  We had to bail water out of the site with a Frisbee two days in a row.  All of the other sites only had small or no puddles that went away as soon as the rain stopped.  Ours stayed a lake.

It's the new feature, at site swimming!

On 2/12/2016 at 9:33 AM, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

It's the new feature, at site swimming!

Reminds me of the 300 loop during one wacky week in November 2014 - every site was "waterfront" which was really unusual for that loop, but there was a TON of rain in a very short amount of time.

Fortunately as long as you kept your stuff on the camping pad you were fine, but if you didn't well... you ran the risk of your stuff floating away. B)

47 minutes ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

I think that was where I first visited you Mo.  Yes it took awhile to get to your RV from the bus stop. Very wet.

It was!  That was the first (and so far last) time we've ever seen it that wet that time of year. Part of the walkway to the comfort station was underwater for days. So glad it's not normally like that in the fall!