The Good Ole Days at Fort Wilderness... Then and now?

Let me start by saying this is not a thread to complain about what the Fort use to be but to share your love of the Fort then and now.   If you start complaining about the Fort I will ask the fairies to move your comment to the "complaining about Disney" thread. Lol. 

A question was asked on another thread..."Would I rather camp at the fort now or in the 70's or 80's?"   Since I was not fortunately enough to visit the fort till 2010 I cant answer the question.  

Now, I have heard many of you talk about the good ole days at the Fort and it always reminded me of people talking about the good ole days in general.  And that always amused me. For example.  People always talk about how great it was when they were kids.    When most of us were kids we lived in a house that had 2 or 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom and maybe a one car garage.   I shared a bedroom with 4 brothers and a bathroom with 4 brothers and three sisters.  Yep. We had 8 kids plus mom and dad in a 3 bed, 2 bath house.  

What the heck was so great about that.  Lol. 

Ok let's get back on topic.   When I looked into the fort's history I found some interesting things. But let me answer the question that was asked.  I would rather camp at the fort today over camping there back in 1971 when it opened.   And now instead of the 80's also.   There's a lot more and better amenities now. 

Lets look at what the fort had in 1971. 

1.  Settlement trading post

2. TCD Ranch

3.  Fort wilderness landin

4.  Nature trail

5.  Reception outpost (a trailer)

6.  Bike barn (also a trailer)

7.  6 loops, 3 comfort stations, 252 campsites. 

What I've learned in my research is that the Fort has always been in a state of change. Example,  It wasn't till 1973 the Railroad was added and it only lasted for 4 years.   I would love to see a railroad that I could take my DD for a grand tour of the fort but that's just wishful thinking. 

So here are the rules for posting on this thread. If you share a memory or amenity from the forts past you also have to share a new memory or amenity the fort has now. Pretty simple. Right?

and please keep it positive. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Before I answer that directly I have to put things in perspective. Grandma and I have never considered the FORT a "campground" it has always been a "THEMED"  RV destination resort(We've been full

Our good old days only go back to 2002 when we moved to FL.  The biggest changes we saw were after the 2004 hurricanes.  The planting of new shrubs and then the wider premium sites.  Now about 11 year

All I know is when we made our first trip, 1979, it was the same year Jossie and Paullete started and they're still here. :)   

Ok I'll start. 

Since my history doesn't go back as most of you on hear my past memories are quite limited. 

But one of my favorite memories was of meeting the person and seeing her camp site at Christmas 2010.  Unfortunately she is no longer at the fort. But she is the one that introduced me to FF.Net and the Fort in general.   I think y'all know who I'm referring to. 

My resent memory was meeting several of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting at Dave's site at the Christmas 2014 GG at the fort.  

1 hour ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Now, I have heard many of you talk about the good ole days at the Fort and it always reminded me of people talking about the good ole days in general.  And that always amused me. For example.  People always talk about how great it was when they were kids.    When most of us were kids we lived in a house that had 2 or 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom and maybe a one car garage.   I shared a bedroom with 4 brothers and a bathroom with 4 brothers and three sisters.  Yep. We had 8 kids plus mom and dad in a 3 bed, 2 bath house.  

What the heck was so great about that.  Lol. 

I think one reason some people talk about the good ole days in such positive light, is because they only remember the good stuff and forget the bad stuff that went with it. Only my opinion of course, lol !!

It's good to see a post from you Ray, I had noticed you have been gone a while. Hope all is well.

1 hour ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Ok I'll start. 

Since my history doesn't go back as most of you on hear my past memories are quite limited. 

But one of my favorite memories was of meeting the person and seeing her camp site at Christmas 2010.  Unfortunately she is no longer at the fort. But she is the one that introduced me to FF.Net and the Fort in general.   I think y'all know who I'm referring to. 

My resent memory was meeting several of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting at Dave's site at the Christmas 2014 GG at the fort.  

The people at Dave's site were and still are awesome!!!!

The Fort is the only Disney resort I remember from my childhood. We stayed at others, but they didn't stick out to me. 

A recent memory that I love is Ms. Josie teaching Z to hula hoop. He'd been trying for awhile, and she was so patient with him. He was beaming ear to ear. 

On February 13, 2016 at 1:30 PM, Ivy said:

I think one reason some people talk about the good ole days in such positive light, is because they only remember the good stuff and forget the bad stuff that went with it. Only my opinion of course, lol !!

It's good to see a post from you Ray, I had noticed you have been gone a while. Hope all is well.

I think your right.  When I think of my good ole days I remember all the good times and ratu think about the bad. 

Thank you for asking. All is well in the great state Oklahoma. 

Mans I hope all is well with you and yours. 

On February 13, 2016 at 2:01 PM, Grumpy and Grandma said:

All I know is when we made our first trip, 1979, it was the same year Jossie and Paullete started and they're still here. :) 

1979!   I bet you've seen a lot of changes  

Move never met Paulette but Jossie is a treasure.  

let me Ask you a question since you and grandma have been going to the fort such a long time....what's the most positive change you've seen at the fort in all the years you've been going?

On February 13, 2016 at 2:06 PM, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

The people at Dave's site were and still are awesome!!!!

Yes.  Yes they are.  I met some awesome people and my DD met some awesome kids that evening. Thanks again for taking me and DD to the MK afterwards. We had a blast. 

On February 13, 2016 at 2:09 PM, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

The Fort is the only Disney resort I remember from my childhood. We stayed at others, but they didn't stick out to me. 

A recent memory that I love is Ms. Josie teaching Z to hula hoop. He'd been trying for awhile, and she was so patient with him. He was beaming ear to ear. 

I believe you shared some pictures from that day. I wouldn't mind seeing them again. 

Besides the railroad, the marshmallow marsh excursion, and the swamp trails, the other big things I miss was the delis at both trading posts, the inexpensive beer, and the ability to walk from the settlement TP to the beach, let the kids swim in the lake while the adults hung out on the beach and in the hammocks relaxing and enjoying freshly made sandwiches.

My favorite time at the Fort is the next time I get to be there!!

I've been going only since 2001.

The only thing I'm really upset about is the prices. To me the Fort is about just enjoying camping in my happy place, spending time with Fiends and relaxing.

Yes, there are idiots that don't follow the rules, but that is anywhere. My usual reaction to that is "whoah, how immature" and move on.

2 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

let me Ask you a question since you and grandma have been going to the fort such a long time....what's the most positive change you've seen at the fort in all the years you've been going?

Before I answer that directly I have to put things in perspective.

Grandma and I have never considered the FORT a "campground" it has always been a "THEMED"  RV destination resort(We've been fully self-contained since 1977). Campgrounds, at least to us, are KOAs, Jellystone Parks, State and County parks etc. These are places where you may be parked on pavement but usually grass or gravel and in many tourist areas, during peak season, not much cheaper than the tent sites at the FORT and the only thing you gain is sewer. Example:  Rapid City SD KOA, about an hour from MT. Rushmore in June with 4 kids you'd pay $75.00 a night to park in a mud hole if it rained.  West Yellowstone KOA, again a gravel site $95.00 a night.  A KOA in Wapakoneta OH, where you have about 8 ft between your awning and your neighbor, concrete pad here $88.00 a night.,

With that said I consider the fact that the FORT has kept up with "growing" RVs (larger pads in the Premium sites) the fact that they still allow larger families to camp together without an extra charge two very positive things. The recent addition of the walkway to the Marina a very positive move, the new drink dispenser at the pool another plus. The other amenities that we still have are great, by comparison to most "campgrounds". The campfire, sing along and movie, wishes at the beach every night if you so desire. The games and activites at the pool for the kiddos. A great on site restaurant and bar at TE, Trading posts that do carry a better selection than most CG stores and with pricing very close.

Would I like to see RC resurrected, the food truck and breakfast cart return, a deep water pool sure, but unfortunately, "Big Brother" and the attorneys won out. Too much liability. WeI would also like to see all the rules religiously enforced, but some people ignore them in most other campgrounds as well and get away with it. 

As with many of you we don't always cherish change, but that is all part of life, it and things change.  We have RV'd/camped in all but two of the lower 48 and all of the lower Canadian Provinces. We have yet to find a place that gives you the same "bang for the buck" as the FORT.

2 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Grandma and I have never considered the FORT a "campground" it has always been a "THEMED"  RV destination resort(We've been fully self-contained since 1977). Campgrounds, at least to us, are KOAs, Jellystone Parks, State and County parks etc. These are places where you may be parked on pavement but usually grass or gravel and in many tourist areas, during peak season, not much cheaper than the tent sites at the FORT and the only thing you gain is sewer. Example:  Rapid City SD KOA, about an hour from MT. Rushmore in June with 4 kids you'd pay $75.00 a night to park in a mud hole if it rained.  West Yellowstone KOA, again a gravel site $95.00 a night.  A KOA in Wapakoneta OH, where you have about 8 ft between your awning and your neighbor, concrete pad here $88.00 a night.,

With that said I consider the fact that the FORT has kept up with "growing" RVs (larger pads in the Premium sites) the fact that they still allow larger families to camp together without an extra charge two very positive things. The recent addition of the walkway to the Marina a very positive move, the new drink dispenser at the pool another plus. The other amenities that we still have are great, by comparison to most "campgrounds". The campfire, sing along and movie, wishes at the beach every night if you so desire. The games and activites at the pool for the kiddos. A great on site restaurant and bar at TE, Trading posts that do carry a better selection than most CG stores and with pricing very close.

Would I like to see RC resurrected, the food truck and breakfast cart return, a deep water pool sure, but unfortunately, "Big Brother" and the attorneys won out. Too much liability. WeI would also like to see all the rules religiously enforced, but some people ignore them in most other campgrounds as well and get away with it. 

As with many of you we don't always cherish change, but that is all part of life, it and things change.  We have RV'd/camped in all but two of the lower 48 and all of the lower Canadian Provinces. We have yet to find a place that gives you the same "bang for the buck" as the FORT.

Well said. 

2 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

You have camped more places then me but we'll said. 

Very Well said Dave.

Rich and I have been camping there for about 37 years and though there are things we miss, it is still our fav. CG ever.

I do miss the Deli, but there is always change sometimes good and sometimes not so good. But what is not so good to some is great to others

11 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Very nice statement Grumpy.  I like what you said.

One thing I've been thinking about  back in the early days is,  how many of the campers had TVs in their campers?  And now, how many don't have TVs?

And now the Fort is putting in Wi-Fi (is that correct term) poles to , hopefully cover the camp ground.  Yes it's taking a long time, but if it works, there are going to be a lot of happy campers.  And I'm sure it's not inexpensive either.

23 minutes ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Very nice statement Grumpy.  I like what you said.

One thing I've been thinking about  back in the early days is,  how many of the campers had TVs in their campers?  And now, how many don't have TVs?

And now the Fort is putting in Wi-Fi (is that correct term) poles to , hopefully cover the camp ground.  Yes it's taking a long time, but if it works, there are going to be a lot of happy campers.  And I'm sure it's not inexpensive either.

I think this is part of the underlying issues with the Fort and the reason so many people are "complaining and unhappy".

Yes it's going to be expensive, probably more than putting it in the hotels, but probably a lot less than wiring the theme parks themselves (IMHO).

People feel like the Fort has been treated like the red headed step child for quite a while, but when it first opened and there were only a couple of Disney Hotels, it was treated like royalty and was up there with the hotels in amenities and uniqueness.

Over the years it's been given just enough upkeep and resources to keep it barely in line with Disney standards. Inquiring minds want to know why the little things can't get repaired in a timely fashion like the swings, decorations, etc.

Yes, it's still a great place and unique with it being on a theme parks property and we all love it, even if it's a love hate relationship. And like others have stated the prices are high, but it's all inclusive and you don't get nickeled and dimed with extra site costs, like extra for electric, or more that 2 adults/ 2 kids.

I know it will never happen, (unless there is a Disney Deep Throat hiding in the shadows out there) but it would be interesting to see the price per room upkeep compared to the price per site cost. Again, to me it would seem that the Fort has a lot less day to day costs/upkeep to keep it running so their profit should be higher. You would think just the cooling/heating costs for a hotel would support the entire Forts upkeep.

This is not meant to get people all fired up again and it's not a complaint, just an observation.

The question was then or now, I have a third choice, future.  My favorite fort trip is always the next one.  We have been camping at the fort since 1990, not as long as some, but longer than others.  The only thing I have really complained about are the prices.  But as stated earlier other tourist destination campground prices are priced similarly, so that complaint goes out the window.  One of the things I miss is the petting zoo, when it was up near Pioneer Hall. I have some great pictures of my kids with the animals and also on the pony rides.  The question is do I really miss that stuff or the memories of my kids being that young and the joy on their faces.  Our youngest is now 25 with one child.  So I guess the answer may be that I miss the good ole' days, not because the fort was better, but maybe because we viewed it a whole different way through the eyes of our children.  I am not going to write anymore at the moment because this got way too "dag gum" sappy.

1 hour ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

I think this is part of the underlying issues with the Fort and the reason so many people are "complaining and unhappy".

And in the  "everyone has a different opinion and that's why we're just going to have to agree to disagree"   category, this is where I vote for then instead of now.  Having my children wake up in a tent and go outside and play or explore their surroundings vs having my children (admittedly now teenagers) wake up and reach for their phones / Ipads to connect to the Fort wifi and stare mesmerized at the sacred words of their friends back home or their favorite online game.

But this obviously isn't Fort exclusive. Just one thing I'd love to actually get away from while on vacation which means picking another destination if I want that type of vacation (or confiscating phones and Ipads).  Although MDE makes it more important to have that wifi in order to enjoy our day at the theme park and makes the Fort more equal to the other WDW vacation resorts. 

My overall comment was meant to be that it seems the Fort is the last to get things, and it's not like they are losing money and cant afford upgrades.

I agree, that it's a lot nicer without all the kids (and adults) wandering around with their noses stuck in a phone or tablet.  I've seen so many people missing half the parks because they are tooo busy with their phones.

But as others have said, this is the 2000's and not the dark ages of the 70's.  people want to be connected 24/7.

Gosh Seals, you wouldn't want someone to miss out on the latest Kartrashians antics would you, just because they are roughing it?:P

14 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

My favorite time at the Fort is the next time I get to be there!!

I've been going only since 2001.

The only thing I'm really upset about is the prices. To me the Fort is about just enjoying camping in my happy place, spending time with Fiends and relaxing.

Yes, there are idiots that don't follow the rules, but that is anywhere. My usual reaction to that is "whoah, how immature" and move on.

I think this is most of what I feel.  I have been going to the Fort most of my life.  I started going with my grandparents in the the 70's and riding the train with my uncle, who is 4 years my senior.  He is just basically my big brother.  Our family is big on trains.  My grandparents were big campers but my parents not so much.  They really enjoyed (and still do) the cabins.  I got back into camping after college and started using the normal sites instead of the cabins.  Yes, I miss the train because I am a train crazy person.  But, most of all, I miss being able to go at the drop of a hat and as often as I would like.  I realize that I might be considered "spoiled" because I could go often and such, but there were others who were farther away who went often as well who can no longer go many times because of the price increases too.  Am I going to sit here and gripe about it?  Nope.  I just adjust my schedules and go when I can.  I stay off property and stay in my popup a little more often instead of taking the MH and plan different trips.  Life changes and as much as I REALLY REALLY don't like change, it happens.