The Good Ole Days at Fort Wilderness... Then and now?

We enjoyed our trips in the 90's and early 2000's more than the more resent trips.  While I made a lot less money back then I could better afford the trips.  We loved the petting zoo with Minnie Moo and all the other animals.  We went to River Country so the pool being plain did not bother us.  We didn't feel like we had to get a golf cart back then because we felt safe riding bikes for transportation.  Most sites had a lot more privacy than they do now.  I liked that the courts all had balls available at the court and all the nets were always in great shape. I don't ever remember seeing a tetherball pole without a ball or swing sets without swings plus they were in a lot more locations.  There just seemed to be more interesting things to see and do.  The peacocks, the walking trails, the props around the fort like the water wagon, the covered wagon, the ice cream wagon, lawnmower tree, the travel trailer they had on display by Pioneer Hall.  I guess part of it has to do with memories of our DD and her friends and our friends' kids and the fact that going to the Fort was new to us.  I don't remember it being hard at all to get a reservation except for holiday weekends and even then you only had to book a month or two out.  I also don't remember soooo many rude and me me me people.  They have made a lot of improvements over the years that I do like.  I like the pool upgrade with the slide, kid splash area, accessibly lifts, a lot more seating, and the hot tubs.  While they didn't enlarge the footprint of the pool filling in the deep end did increase the number of people that could be in the pool.  Without a diving board or being allowed to run and jump in the pool the deep end was kind of a wasted space which mostly just had a few people holding on to the edge of the pool.  I like that they added cable and internet to all the sites and I like they made some sites premium to more easily fit the big rigs and offer an all paved site. (I just wish they had not done so many) I love that they will now have WiFi everywhere.  I'm sure the pet lovers are thrilled to now be able to bring their pets and they even built a dog park and many dog walking areas.  Things change.  Always have and always will. I just think there was a lot more to do back then.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Before I answer that directly I have to put things in perspective. Grandma and I have never considered the FORT a "campground" it has always been a "THEMED"  RV destination resort(We've been full

Our good old days only go back to 2002 when we moved to FL.  The biggest changes we saw were after the 2004 hurricanes.  The planting of new shrubs and then the wider premium sites.  Now about 11 year

All I know is when we made our first trip, 1979, it was the same year Jossie and Paullete started and they're still here. :)   

I think by now most of you know where I stand on the "Then or Now" question.  But since Jen brought up the Train, it reminded me of the Trams that ran around the Fort after the Train went away.  

They always reminded me that we were at Disney since they were the same Trams they used at the Parks.

As much as Lou reminded us how buses were the only solution that could move people around efficiently, I do miss the Trams.

As Travisma said, not a complaint, just an observation.  ;)

4 minutes ago, Avatab.... Steve said:

I think by now most of you know where I stand on the "Then or Now" question.  But since Jen brought up the Train, it reminded me of the Trams that ran around the Fort after the Train went away.  

They always reminded me that we were at Disney since they were the same Trams they used at the Parks.

As much as Lou reminded us how buses were the only solution that could move people around efficiently, I do miss the Trams.

I know memory isn't the best way to document things, especially if you fondly recall something you tend overlook the rough edges.

Seems to me that the trams ran a lot more often then the busses. And with the advent of the busses, it seems like the golf cart population started growing.

I think they should run the trams in between the bus runs.  People could utilize the busses if they wanted A/C or heat and needed the accessibility, and others could get the fresh air along with rain and bugs of the Trams!  And I would hope they had the old trams without the doors and the 15 minutes worth of warnings and walking up and down at every stop.  Busch Gardens and other parks don't have doors on their trams.

If the trams are the same as the parking lot trams I'm glad there are gone.   Those things are loud.  Could you imagine camping near a bus stop and hearing the safety spiel they do now over and over and over and one more time because someone got on after they said no more boarding.  If we need more transportation add more buses.  you only need 1 CM to drive a bus.  The trams take 2. 

1 minute ago, Memphis said:

If the trams are the same as the parking lot trams I'm glad there are gone.   Those things are loud.  Could you imagine camping near a bus stop and hearing the safety spiel they do now over and over and over and one more time because someone got on after they said no more boarding.  If we need more transportation add more buses.  you only need 1 CM to drive a bus.  The trams take 2. 

Maybe a memory loss, but I think back then they just had a driver?  Could be mistaken.  Hopefully they wouldn't have to do the big safety talk.  And would it be any worse then the ear piercing warning when the bus kneels?

No way they would only have a driver now.  And no way they would not do a safety spiel now.  I'll take the 3 second beeping over a one minute safety spiel in two languages.  Not to mention what it would do to traffic.  I'm sure they were great a long time ago but no way now.  

7 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Last time we rode them, it was a quick safety spiel, and no doors.  Less than two minutes from unload to taking off.

That was probably before some idiot stood up, fell off and sued DISNEY. :rolleyes:

On February 17, 2016 at 6:16 PM, Travisma said:

Besides the railroad, the marshmallow marsh excursion, and the swamp trails, the other big things I miss was the delis at both trading posts, the inexpensive beer, and the ability to walk from the settlement TP to the beach, let the kids swim in the lake while the adults hung out on the beach and in the hammocks relaxing and enjoying freshly made sandwiches.

But what do you like about it now?

On February 17, 2016 at 7:07 AM, Travisma said:

I think this is part of the underlying issues with the Fort and the reason so many people are "complaining and unhappy".

Yes it's going to be expensive, probably more than putting it in the hotels, but probably a lot less than wiring the theme parks themselves (IMHO).

People feel like the Fort has been treated like the red headed step child for quite a while, but when it first opened and there were only a couple of Disney Hotels, it was treated like royalty and was up there with the hotels in amenities and uniqueness.

Over the years it's been given just enough upkeep and resources to keep it barely in line with Disney standards. Inquiring minds want to know why the little things can't get repaired in a timely fashion like the swings, decorations, etc.

Yes, it's still a great place and unique with it being on a theme parks property and we all love it, even if it's a love hate relationship. And like others have stated the prices are high, but it's all inclusive and you don't get nickeled and dimed with extra site costs, like extra for electric, or more that 2 adults/ 2 kids.

I know it will never happen, (unless there is a Disney Deep Throat hiding in the shadows out there) but it would be interesting to see the price per room upkeep compared to the price per site cost. Again, to me it would seem that the Fort has a lot less day to day costs/upkeep to keep it running so their profit should be higher. You would think just the cooling/heating costs for a hotel would support the entire Forts upkeep.

This is not meant to get people all fired up again and it's not a complaint, just an observation.

I appreciate your thoughts on the fort. However I think your post would've been better suited for the when does the fort become not worth it  thread. I would really like to keep this thread positive by people stating what they liked in the past and what they like now. Do you have a memory that you would like to share and a positive change that you have seen at the fort?

On February 17, 2016 at 8:04 AM, oft013 said:

The question was then or now, I have a third choice, future.  My favorite fort trip is always the next one.  We have been camping at the fort since 1990, not as long as some, but longer than others.  The only thing I have really complained about are the prices.  But as stated earlier other tourist destination campground prices are priced similarly, so that complaint goes out the window.  One of the things I miss is the petting zoo, when it was up near Pioneer Hall. I have some great pictures of my kids with the animals and also on the pony rides.  The question is do I really miss that stuff or the memories of my kids being that young and the joy on their faces.  Our youngest is now 25 with one child.  So I guess the answer may be that I miss the good ole' days, not because the fort was better, but maybe because we viewed it a whole different way through the eyes of our children.  I am not going to write anymore at the moment because this got way too "dag gum" sappy.

Great memories. 

What psoitive change have you seen at the fort?

On February 17, 2016 at 8:20 AM, Seals said:

And in the  "everyone has a different opinion and that's why we're just going to have to agree to disagree"   category, this is where I vote for then instead of now.  Having my children wake up in a tent and go outside and play or explore their surroundings vs having my children (admittedly now teenagers) wake up and reach for their phones / Ipads to connect to the Fort wifi and stare mesmerized at the sacred words of their friends back home or their favorite online game.

But this obviously isn't Fort exclusive. Just one thing I'd love to actually get away from while on vacation which means picking another destination if I want that type of vacation (or confiscating phones and Ipads).  Although MDE makes it more important to have that wifi in order to enjoy our day at the theme park and makes the Fort more equal to the other WDW vacation resorts. 

Agree. A iPhone free vacation would be awesome.  

But whar positive change have you seen at the fort?

23 hours ago, Avatab.... Steve said:

Part of the OP was to tell us what you liked about the good ole days and what positive changes you've noticed at the fort.  

I meant to call this the fort then AND now. So I changed the title to what I intended it to be. 

After reading several posts I realized I messed up on two things. 

1.  The title. It should have said the fort then AND now. Not or. 

2.   I forgot once the thread goes past 4 or 6 posts we don't read the original post LOL .  This thread is supposed to be a place where people can share their memories from the good old days and share positive changes they've seen at the fort.

please share a memory from the past and a positive change you seen 

Our good old days only go back to 2002 when we moved to FL.  The biggest changes we saw were after the 2004 hurricanes.  The planting of new shrubs and then the wider premium sites.  Now about 11 years later there is a nice amount of privacy at most sites.  Other campgrounds in FL tend to be side by side with no shrubs. 

On 2/17/2016 at 9:26 AM, AuburnJen said:

I think this is most of what I feel.  I have been going to the Fort most of my life.  I started going with my grandparents in the the 70's and riding the train with my uncle, who is 4 years my senior.  He is just basically my big brother.  Our family is big on trains.  My grandparents were big campers but my parents not so much.  They really enjoyed (and still do) the cabins.  I got back into camping after college and started using the normal sites instead of the cabins.  Yes, I miss the train because I am a train crazy person.  But, most of all, I miss being able to go at the drop of a hat and as often as I would like.  I realize that I might be considered "spoiled" because I could go often and such, but there were others who were farther away who went often as well who can no longer go many times because of the price increases too.  Am I going to sit here and gripe about it?  Nope.  I just adjust my schedules and go when I can.  I stay off property and stay in my popup a little more often instead of taking the MH and plan different trips.  Life changes and as much as I REALLY REALLY don't like change, it happens. 

I am sorry Ray, I forgot to add....

What is most refreshing about the Fort that is positive is that it has kept up with the changing aspects of the RV's.  Even though the RV's are getting bigger, the real estate of the Fort is finite.  Disney has really done a nice job, (however at a snail's pace at some points) of trying to keep the theme running and doing a good overall job of keeping the theme running.  At no point did I ever say, "I quit, I am never going again!"  At no point did I ever say, "I quit, I am not renewing my passes!"  I did cut one out, for financial reasons, but I have kept two.  Why?  Because the Fort has kept the nostalgia and even though it has increased in cost, the love is still there.  No matter how much griping people do, you have to admit, people bust their behinds to keep it clean for us to enjoy.  That is what keeps me coming back for more memories. 

19 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Great memories. 

What positive change have you seen at the fort?

Well, that is a tough question.  I have been sitting here thinking on how to best answer your question.  Over the years as our needs have changed, what we focus on at the Fort has also changed.  When we started it was a popup and little kids, now it's a 31' MH and our kids and their kids, or just us old folks.  Many things at the fort I am oblivious to these days, so the short answer is I really don't see a lot of positive changes but I also don't dwell on the negative things. I am glad/ thankful for the things that haven't changed.  The boats still run to the MK, the bathrooms are still usually clean, the laundry rooms still have working washers and dryers.  We still enjoy looping around in our rented golf cart in the evenings and wandering through the Trading Posts.  I like the premium larger sites, do I always use them, no, I am a creature of habit and getting into the 100/200 loop area was important when the kids were small, but now not so much, but bad habits die hard.  Over the years even some of the less than positive things you see have kind of a comfort level.  To see that same repaired bathroom door year after year instead of a new door, you get used to it and it becomes part of the fort.  If it ever got replaced, I would try to figure out what changed, but then I would just move on.  If anything I see that bother me, I'd just usually just shake my head and move on, a couple of minutes later I would have forgotten all about it and I'm back to thinking about where I really am...Disneyworld...and how I'm going to beat the crowds on any given day. 

We stayed at the fort in 2000.  I remember back then that the bus routes were "Chip" and "Dale" and the "cabin" and "home" routes.  (remember the "homes"?)  We were also there when the pool was River Country.  In fact I have a picture of my DD standing under the water tower (pull the string and you got drenched) that is now part of the pool/slide.  It just seemed much more quiet, less chaotic.  I'm not sure if they allowed 10 people per site back then...

Ok, many changes over the years for sure: Some quite interesting. Some I miss, some I don't.

First, River Country. I always looked at River Country as the Fort's own private resort within a resort that you could walk to and we always kept an annual pass for it. Before they closed it there were rumors that it was going to part of the Fort's amenities. Did not happen of course and I understand. However the new waterparks are a lot better with many more rides and a lot more for everyone to do. You could imagine how crowded River Country got being the only water park.

The Train.  While unique it was a very slow mode of transportation considering how long it took to start and stop. You could actually walk faster around the Fort. It also was very noisy, especially if your site was near the tracks, especially near the stops. Almost impossible for children to take naps, When they did away with it, they used the older style parking lot trams. These were the ones that had a single back to back bench seat going lengthwise on the tram cars. Very little protection from the rain. Next they went to an older hand me down bus system, that the air conditioning rarely worked. The new buses are a vast improvement.

Swimming.  I do miss laying on the beach and getting in the lake, but before they closed the lake swimming, the grass/moss beds had almost taken over. The pool first lost the diving boards, then they raised the depth of the pool up to around 6 feet in the deep end, then the last rehab, the raised the depth to what it is now. The trade off is the new spa and the splash and play area for the kids along with the slide.

Boat transportation has changed little except for a few things. When it was just the Magic Kingdom, Contemporary, Poly, and the Fort (not including Disney Inn or Treehouse), there was a boat that you could take from the Fort to Poly. Also, on very crowded days, Disney used to have a large boat similar to the ones used from the TTC to Magic Kingdom, but a bit smaller. About an hour prior to park opening, it would dock at the end of the Fort's dock, sideways. It had a side entry door and they had a ramp they placed from it to the dock. It would pull out about 30 minutes until opening. After the other parks opened, it took the strain off MK and was no longer used. Even though the lines fro the boat seem long some times, they are nothing like I have seen them.

More to follow

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2016 at 2:24 PM, Travisma said:

Maybe a memory loss, but I think back then they just had a driver?  Could be mistaken.  Hopefully they wouldn't have to do the big safety talk.  And would it be any worse then the ear piercing warning when the bus kneels?

That drives me nuts more than anything. And, I can't really understand why the warning. I mean, it's not like the kneeling bus is much of a safety hazard compared to say backing up or letting the ramp down. I haven't noticed any pinch points anywhere.