Disney Planning Fail

Ok, so my planning has failed miserably.  I initially purchased a 10 day ticket w/hopper and waterparks and had planned on upgrading to AP's when we got there.  (This would save us around $180 since we purchased them through an outside vendor).  This was all done since we were (key word) planning on going for Spring Break, Fall Break, and Christmas.  

Fast forward 5 months'ish and our house is on the market and we have a contract on another house with some acreage, this is not only affecting our cash flow but also our time available.  So bottom line, we will probably want to spend Christmas in our new home and maybe fall break to work on projects.

My question is this...I know Disney tickets are non refundable and I've spoken with them about this issue just to make sure.  Has anyone had any luck downgrading tickets?  We would want to reduce to a 5 day ticket (no hopper or waterpark option).  The CS rep suggested I speak to them in person when I get there and they may make an exception...any other options?