Big Vaca with a Big Family

Hi everyone, 

My family is taking a big cross country trip in August.  We are traveling from Alabama to Yellowstone then to Denver (Golden) then home.  We are so excited and this is a trip we've been dreaming of for years.  We have family in Denver and were planing a trip to see them and then decided to do it all now.  :)  So let the planing begin.  We will be pulling a camper (we are upgrading our current camper to a little big bigger one with bunks). We are taking our three kids, they will be 9, 5, and 3.  I know this may seem crazy to some, but we've gone to China with this crew so we'll be fine.  We are staying at Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone.  I know it's not the best, but we have never boon-docked and we don't want our first time to be in Yellowstone with three kids for a week.  And we will be going to see all the sights so we really don't care that much about our campsite.  Any tips are welcome, must do stops along the way!  

Thanks!!  

10 hours ago, fowlandfishmommy said:

Hi everyone, 

My family is taking a big cross country trip in August.  We are traveling from Alabama to Yellowstone then to Denver (Golden) then home.  We are so excited and this is a trip we've been dreaming of for years.  We have family in Denver and were planing a trip to see them and then decided to do it all now.  :)  So let the planing begin.  We will be pulling a camper (we are upgrading our current camper to a little big bigger one with bunks). We are taking our three kids, they will be 9, 5, and 3.  I know this may seem crazy to some, but we've gone to China with this crew so we'll be fine.  We are staying at Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone.  I know it's not the best, but we have never boon-docked and we don't want our first time to be in Yellowstone with three kids for a week.  And we will be going to see all the sights so we really don't care that much about our campsite.  Any tips are welcome, must do stops along the way!  

Thanks!!  

What route are you planning to take there and back?

Heading out there you could take a route that goes up to Sioux Falls and on I 90 to Yellowstone.  I 90 would give you chances to stop and see the badlands and the black hills.  After Yellowstone heading to Denver I like stopping in Laramie to see the teritoral prison, it's a quick stop that would let you stretch for a few hours.

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 9:01 AM, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Haven't been that way, so cannot offer any advice (except to hit Colorado Springs and Red Rocks... SO pretty!).   Have a GREAT time!! :)

If you go to Colorado Springs, make sure you stop at the Garden of the Gods.  And if you can drop the camper at the base, a drive up Pikes Peak, or take the cog railway up it.

Heading out there you could take a route that goes up to Sioux Falls and on I 90 to Yellowstone.  I 90 would give you chances to stop and see the badlands and the black hills.  After Yellowstone heading to Denver I like stopping in Laramie to see the teritoral prison, it's a quick stop that would let you stretch for a few hours.

One thing to note if you take this route is cell phone service is limited in many places. Make sure you have actual maps with you. You may not be able to rely on your GPS. Also keep your gas tank full. It might be awhile until you get to the next gas station. There are times you will feel like you are the only car on the road. We loved that feeling.

Also if you do go this way plan a stop in Omaha to visit the Henry Doorly Zoo. I would plan a full day there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

One thing to note if you take this route is cell phone service is limited in many places. Make sure you have actual maps with you. You may not be able to rely on your GPS. Also keep your gas tank full. It might be awhile until you get to the next gas station. There are times you will feel like you are the only car on the road. We loved that feeling.

Also if you do go this way plan a stop in Omaha to visit the Henry Doorly Zoo. I would plan a full day there.

That zoo is fantastic!  Makes others look like cheap roadside attractions.

The Strategic Air and Space Museum 28210 W Park Hwy, Ashland, NE 68003 off I-80 between Omaha and Lincoln is a great place also.  Not quite as good as the Smithsonian, but a lot less crowded.

That zoo is fantastic!  Makes others look like cheap roadside attractions.

The Strategic Air and Space Museum 28210 W Park Hwy, Ashland, NE 68003 off I-80 between Omaha and Lincoln is a great place also.  Not quite as good as the Smithsonian, but a lot less crowded.

I agree with both. The thing is I still remember growing up and going to the Henry zoo when I was a little girl. At that time you could see everything in half a day easily.

The SAC museum is cool, but is not directly on the route if they wanted to take I-90.

I agree with both. The thing is I still remember growing up and going to the Henry zoo when I was a little girl. At that time you could see everything in half a day easily.

The SAC museum is cool, but is not directly on the route if they wanted to take I-90.

All though if they stayed at the KOA in Gretna both would be easy to visit.

Thanks everyone!  This is so helpful!  We will take actual maps and my husband is a crazy man about gas.  So we'll be good.  And my boys are zoo freaks, but not sure we can do a whole day.  We have a fairly tight schedule.  Leave Alabama Friday and get to Yellowstone Monday morning.  Yellowstone until Friday and then 1 night in the Tetons and to Denver Saturday.  Then Denver (staying in Golden) until Thursday.  Then home hopefully by Saturday.  2 weeks and 1 day.  

Thanks everyone!  This is so helpful!  We will take actual maps and my husband is a crazy man about gas.  So we'll be good.  And my boys are zoo freaks, but not sure we can do a whole day.  We have a fairly tight schedule.  Leave Alabama Friday and get to Yellowstone Monday morning.  Yellowstone until Friday and then 1 night in the Tetons and to Denver Saturday.  Then Denver (staying in Golden) until Thursday.  Then home hopefully by Saturday.  2 weeks and 1 day.  

If you can't do the whole day at the zoo, then I would at least do the following exhibits: Desert Dome http://www.omahazoo.com/exhibits/desert-dome/

Lied Jungle http://www.omahazoo.com/exhibits/lied-jungle/

Scott Aquarium http://www.omahazoo.com/exhibits/aquarium/

If you have time Kingdoms of the night is good too.

http://www.omahazoo.com/exhibits/kingdoms-of-the-night/

I'm hoping to stop at some cheesy roadside attractions and/or cool restaurants.  Example:  Our last trip we stopped at the Fanciest McDonalds in America and my kids thought it was the best thing ever.  :)  

On your way be sure to stop in Metropolis, IL to get gas and take a bathroom break. You can get pictures like these of the boys.

f64b1424d48d41f7d4d62b260b6513e7.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips everyone.  We have run into a little snag.  Our current camper (was given to us) is not in good enough shape to go that far, so we had planned to buy one around $10,000 or so that has bunks (current one doesn't have them).  Well we noticed a big water spot on our ceiling in our bedroom in our house so it looks like a new roof may replace the new camper.  We are praying some kind of miracle happens and this trip still works out.  But we'll see.  I'll keep you updated.  

On 4/3/2016 at 0:08 AM, fowlandfishmommy said:

Thanks for the tips everyone.  We have run into a little snag.  Our current camper (was given to us) is not in good enough shape to go that far, so we had planned to buy one around $10,000 or so that has bunks (current one doesn't have them).  Well we noticed a big water spot on our ceiling in our bedroom in our house so it looks like a new roof may replace the new camper.  We are praying some kind of miracle happens and this trip still works out.  But we'll see.  I'll keep you updated.  

Ugh!  Praying for an easy/chip fix!  Hopefully you've just got a nail pop somewhere... those can be a bugger to find (remember, water travels!).

8 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Ugh!  Praying for an easy/chip fix!  Hopefully you've just got a nail pop somewhere... those can be a bugger to find (remember, water travels!).

I was thinking the same thing.  About 5 years ago, our 5 year old roof was leaking.  There was water leaking from the dining room ceiling inches away from the light down onto the table.  I went up into the attic and found a 6 foot long path of water from a foot near the ridge vent down the truss to where it decided to drop down.  I then when up on the roof and found a nail sticking 1/2" up.  Drove a half hour to Lowes and picked up some roofers patch and went back up to the roof, removed the nail, drove a new one in at a slightly different angle and then liberally applied the gooey stuff.  Knock on wood, no trouble since then.