Resort Fees Surveys Being Conducted

According to WDWMagic.com, a $15 resort fee survey is being conducted right now to guests to see how they would react to paying it in addition to hotel rates.  It is already standard practice around Orlando.  Orlando has to my knowledge, the highest of such rates.  I recollect paying at Gaylord Palms up to 50 plus dollars a night for such fees as parking, internet, bottled water, touching the candy, food, etc.  Thoughts?  Comments, please weigh in.  Here is the article.

PS: this is the VERY reason I stay on property....

http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/walt-disney-world-resorts-information/news/09mar2016-disney-considering-adding-a-nightly-resort-fee-to-its-resort-hotels.htm

Disney is considering adding a nightly resort fee to its resort hotels

3 hours ago in "Walt Disney World Resorts"

In the Orlando area, a majority of the mid to upper priced hotels (not just resorts) charge the resort fee and a parking fee.

It's not uncommon to get a good deal on Priceline, then have to pay 1/2 again as much in the parking and resort fees.

I don't mind a resort fee if you are truly at a resort and are getting decent amenities.

Parking fees are just a rip-off money grabbing scheme.  We stayed at a very nice Hilton, had to pay parking, and most of the time the gates wouldn't open and a guard had to come over and unlock them with a key.

A lot of the hotels we used to go to without any fees now are charging one or both.

But since it's Disney, people will gladly pay the fees just to stay on property, at least the ones that are here on a "big" vacation and not just us locals.

Gaylord charged $18, probably $20 by now for parking, even if you are just going to visit the hotel or go to the show like ICE.

Embassy Suites which used to have no fees now charges $15 for parking and I think $20 or $25 resort fees.

At least you get cocktail hours every evening and a great breakfast buffet.

How soon before Disney Springs starts charging to recoup the cost of the parking garages, and to deter park visitors from freeloading parking and riding the resort busses.

3 minutes ago, parrothead7368 aka Norm said:

Why do they bother with surveys, just say you're going to start doing it and be done with it. We all know they are going to do it anyway.

Best Regards,

Norm

Yup, it's a done deal.

Maybe not this year, but soon, very soon.

Shareholders want to see a bigger profit.  ESPN lost $$ for them last year.

Just think though, if they cut down on the freeloaders, they wouldn't need to do this... not that they have to do it anyway.

This past year I stayed at Bonnett Creek.  We were charged a parking fee as well as a resort fee each day.  There was a part of me that felt like I had to stay there instead of going to Disney to enjoy all the amenities that I was being charged for in order to get my monies worth.  It was a good chunk of money each day.  Now, was there a bus to the resorts, yes.  Was there a nice pool, yes.  Was there nice things to do, yes.  Was there internet, yes.  Was there a parking deck, yes.  However, there are such things outside of Orlando and I don't pay extra for these things to rent a room per night.  I understand I am on a soapbox, but if there are all these fees that are not accounted for in my budget, I may have issues with a conversation with my wallet.  I may not be the norm that Disney is going for any longer, but I do love going there.  I plan many trips a year and my wallet around it.  All these extra fees hurt my bottom line, especially when I usually have no clue what they all are until the final bill comes.  

When I book a hotel I never just look at the nightly rate anymore. I always go to the total amount to see all the fees, etc. If they don't provide it I usually look to book elsewhere. We've stayed at the Dolphin a couple of times and they charge a $25 per night fee. 

40 minutes ago, Seals said:

When I book a hotel I never just look at the nightly rate anymore. I always go to the total amount to see all the fees, etc. If they don't provide it I usually look to book elsewhere. We've stayed at the Dolphin a couple of times and they charge a $25 per night fee. 

And a parking fee.

And a parking fee.

Plus a parking fee for guests visiting you. My aunt and uncle were at a conference at the Swan and Dolphin and we were staying at the Fort. Went over to see them one day and they wanted 15.00 for us to park. So we went to the Boardwalk parked for free and walked over.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Plus a parking fee for guests visiting you. My aunt and uncle were at a conference at the Swan and Dolphin and we were staying at the Fort. Went over to see them one day and they wanted 15.00 for us to park. So we went to the Boardwalk parked for free and walked over.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

So those hotels don't recognize the other Disney Resorts parking passes?  Nice.

It's just a matter of time before these fees kick in.  Around the holidays, the only way you could park at some of the resorts if you weren't staying there was to pay a valet fee of either $20 or 25.

Personally I would just rather see any company not play these types of games and just post the real rate. To me resort fees are a lot like the fuel surcharges you see with airlines or UPS. I feel they are kind of offensive like the companies think we are stupid enough not to realize the stay costs more no matter what the stated room rate is. 

Personally I would just rather see any company not play these types of games and just post the real rate. To me resort fees are a lot like the fuel surcharges you see with airlines or UPS. I feel they are kind of offensive like the companies think we are stupid enough not to realize the stay costs more no matter what the stated room rate is. 

This. Just charge extra and don't list it especially if it's mandatory.

That is my whole point.  I would just rather all the stuff be PART OF WHAT I AM PAYING FOR IN THE FIRST PLACE.  Enough of this nickel and dime crap.  You are not enticing me to stay because of your low rates.  You are charging me extra for the mere purpose that you can and I unfortunately HAVE to pay it or I cannot go to Disney any more.

3 hours ago, keith_h said:

I agree and if I was part of there test I would complain.

8 hours ago, parrothead7368 aka Norm said:

Why do they bother with surveys, just say you're going to start doing it and be done with it. We all know they are going to do it anyway.

Best Regards,

Norm

And who in their right mind would say "sure, charge me more!"

Not good.  This is one thing I like about being on property...there is no need to investigate the hidden fees.  I wish If they did add more, they would at least send me a Duffy bear or something for coming so often.  Really those of us who people label as Disney nuts are some of their best marketers.  They could do a referral system like direc tv :). 

What's worse, is that you can't opt out by saying I'm not going to use the pool or the Internet. Like everyone says, just bump up the price, why bother calling it anything other than a price increase.

Same thing with hotels and parking fees. Even if you don't drive I think you still get charged.  The only option is self parking or valet parking.

We stayed at Bonnet Creek recently and got a room for $189.  We had a coupon for a free night.  With fees and taxes the bill came to $259.  That extra $70 was close to 27% of the original price.

Correction, my math was wrong, the $70 was closer to 37%

8 hours ago, Travisma said:

What's worse, is that you can't opt out by saying I'm not going to use the pool or the Internet. Like everyone says, just bump up the price, why bother calling it anything other than a price increase.

Same thing with hotels and parking fees. Even if you don't drive I think you still get charged.  The only option is self parking or valet parking.

We stayed at Bonnet Creek recently and got a room for $189.  We had a coupon for a free night.  With fees and taxes the bill came to $259.  That extra $70 was close to 27% of the original price.

Ouch

18 hours ago, Travisma said:

That is my whole point.  And in addition, that is pure profit for the hotel.  There is no commission on those fees what-so-ever.  The booking agent, if there is one, gets none of that $70.  They just get the commission off the original rack rate, which is the whole reason the off site hotels started doing this in the first place.

I would be really upset myself. Except for the fact that they are on property, Disney hotels actually offer the least per dollar of any other hotels/motels/resorts. AND they are the only hotels that do not have any type of loyalty program. So adding a resort fee on top of that will SMB!!!

13 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

I would be really upset myself. Except for the fact that they are on property, Disney hotels actually offer the least per dollar of any other hotels/motels/resorts. AND they are the only hotels that do not have any type of loyalty program. So adding a resort fee on top of that will SMB!!!

That's a very good point, at least offsite have loyalty programs to earn more stays, we know how that Disney loyalty program is going, more fees. LOL

Best Regards,

Norm