I am getting ready to replace the tires on my 2009 Ram 1500.  I currently have P265/70R17 tires on the Ram.  I've towed my Camplite 21BHS over 7,000 miles and it tows great.  My inclination is to stick with P tires because I really like the ride of the Ram when not towing.  Also, there is a bit of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" thinking going on here.  However, I don't know if the additional benefits towing with LT tires would outweigh any change in ride comfort.

Has anybody made the change to LT (or use LT tires) and if so, what did you find?  I'm trying to weight the pros and cons of each, so I welcome all thoughts.

Thanks,

Doug

Our F250 came with LTs on it so I can't really compare. If you go with LT tires I would avoid continentals, I had 4 of them form bubbles in them after towing in the first 3 trips we took with our trailer. Replaced them with michelin and have had no problems.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

P stands for passenger. LT stands for light truck. It all depends on weight but I would go with LT tires for a tow vehicle. We had a Tacoma a few years back that came with LT tires on it I switched to p tires thinking it would ride better and get better mpg but it made no difference. 

We have P rated tires on the new truck. Since our trailer is not very heavy nor has a high tongue weight I am just going to go with them until the wear out. When it comes time for new tires I will decide then whether to move to LT or stick with P. If I were towing closer to the maximum tow limits I would consider LT for a bigger safety margin but that won't be the consideration for at least a a few more years.