Help us avoid Atlanta!

I know I've read stuff here and there on this topic, and I may have asked in another thread but don't remember if I did or not. Getting close to trip time now.  Wondering if there is any way for us to avoid going through ATL. 

Here are the specifics:

We are coming from Charlotte area, going to Camp Gulf in Destin area (actual address Miramar Beach) in a 40ft. Class A probably towing a Jeep with 4 bikes on the back. 

Have looked at various alternatives on Google Maps and our Rand McNally RV GPS (which has steered us horribly, horribly wrong in the past), and there are a lot of of tiny-looking roads that make us nervous, plus it adds like 45min-1.5 longer. So maybe we should just suck it up and deal with the traffic.

We went to the same place last year and the trip was kind of a nightmare. Mr. CJH bumped side mirrors with a tractor trailer so then I had to help be his eyes on that side until we got out of ATL to a truck stop and could readjust.  We overnighted in Eufala, but it seems like total trip time was 13 hrs. when it should've been 10. FTR, we went straight through instead of the bypass, but I've heard that doesn't really make a difference, sometimes one is traffic jam, sometimes the other is, or usually both are.

We ended up going across the panhandle to Jax and up 95 on the return trip. 

So, any guidance will be appreciated. Please and thank you.

Would it be possible you could "schedule" the time you are driving through ATL? If so that would help a ton.
When we are headed through (towing or not) I try to shoot for 9:30am - 11:00am and I will take 75 strait through. There are times I will use the HOV lane if traffic dictates but usually it isn't needed. I always stay in the 2nd lane from the right and after each time 75 merges I will move over 1 lane to the left. We can generally get through fairly easy doing that.

Obviously if you aren't able to hit ATL at a desired time your experience would be different.

Todd has the right idea.  Time your trip, if traveling thru ATL timing is the key.  I lived there for five years and commuted in that traffic downtown every day.

Todd's 9:30am - 11:00am is good as is 1:30 - 3:00pm.   If not, wait until after 7:00pm to go thru. 

You want to be listening to AM 750/FM 95.5 which is WSB Radio  http://www.wsbradio.com/

WSB has good traffic reports all day long.  I would listen to them live a few times before your trip so you can learn how the traffic reports sound.

Now, your other option is to skip I-85 and drive thru Columbia, Jacksonville  and across I-10.  According to Google that only adds about 45 minutes to the trip.

2 hours ago, lightbikes said:

We too would like to avoid Atlanta - but we're coming in from the West - out of Nashville - anyone got any suggestions for a more westerly route?

TnBob goes thru Birmingham.  Search for his posts, he has described his route in detail on here before.  I always go thru Atlanta working to time it well.  I have been successful more times than not.

4 hours ago, lightbikes said:

We too would like to avoid Atlanta - but we're coming in from the West - out of Nashville - anyone got any suggestions for a more westerly route?

We are coming from just south of Louisville KY and want to avoid Atlanta, as we really can't time our arrival.  We are planning on taking I-65 south to Montgomery, then US 231 through Dothan AL to I-10.  10 to 75 around Lake City/Gainesville then on to Orlando.  The Google says it add about an hour, but honestly I don't think we've gone through Atlanta and not been held up for at least an hour.  Last time through it was 3hr.  Others on here have said its good road, we'll see in May how it works out.

We are coming from just south of Louisville KY and want to avoid Atlanta, as we really can't time our arrival.  We are planning on taking I-65 south to Montgomery, then US 231 through Dothan AL to I-10.  10 to 75 around Lake City/Gainesville then on to Orlando.  The Google says it add about an hour, but honestly I don't think we've gone through Atlanta and not been held up for at least an hour.  Last time through it was 3hr.  Others on here have said its good road, we'll see in May how it works out.

That is way we went in October.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone - we'll look into both the I-65 and that route through Birmingham.  We aren't really able to time going through Atlanta, but both coming and going we've found ourselves spending hours, like sometimes 2 and 3, just crawling along.  We'd rather add an extra hour driving and know we at least can keep on rolling !!! :rolleyes:

On 3/14/2016 at 11:44 AM, CJHokie said:

I know I've read stuff here and there on this topic, and I may have asked in another thread but don't remember if I did or not. Getting close to trip time now.  Wondering if there is any way for us to avoid going through ATL. 

Here are the specifics:

We are coming from Charlotte area, going to Camp Gulf in Destin area (actual address Miramar Beach) in a 40ft. Class A probably towing a Jeep with 4 bikes on the back. 

Have looked at various alternatives on Google Maps and our Rand McNally RV GPS (which has steered us horribly, horribly wrong in the past), and there are a lot of of tiny-looking roads that make us nervous, plus it adds like 45min-1.5 longer. So maybe we should just suck it up and deal with the traffic.

We went to the same place last year and the trip was kind of a nightmare. Mr. CJH bumped side mirrors with a tractor trailer so then I had to help be his eyes on that side until we got out of ATL to a truck stop and could readjust.  We overnighted in Eufala, but it seems like total trip time was 13 hrs. when it should've been 10. FTR, we went straight through instead of the bypass, but I've heard that doesn't really make a difference, sometimes one is traffic jam, sometimes the other is, or usually both are.

We ended up going across the panhandle to Jax and up 95 on the return trip. 

So, any guidance will be appreciated. Please and thank you.

Coming from the east and going to WDW we like to avoid the entire Atlanta area by getting off I-85 at Commerce and taking 441 to 129 to Macon and then getting on I-75 and sailing down into Fla.  BUT we are just a minivan not towing anything. Parts of that way are nice fairly empty scenic roads but I can't remember all of it.  However, I don't know if that would be your best bet if you are going to Destin since that's west of Atlanta.  What route do you usually take after you go through Atlanta?

20 hours ago, lightbikes said:

Thank you everyone - we'll look into both the I-65 and that route through Birmingham.  We aren't really able to time going through Atlanta, but both coming and going we've found ourselves spending hours, like sometimes 2 and 3, just crawling along.  We'd rather add an extra hour driving and know we at least can keep on rolling !!! :rolleyes:

We must be long lost relatives!!

Thanks for all the advice.  Not sure if we will be able to time it. The kids have half day school, which means the middle schooler will get home around 12:30, which would put us there in the very worst, horrible time.  Maybe we will let him skip that day. I am pretty sure we hit there last year in one of the suggested time windows and it was still horrible, so not sure about this magical window.

Middle-GA raised, and long-time Atlantan here. IMO, 441 is a nightmare when you are anxious to get to your destination: 1000 little towns where the speed drops to 30mph. Unless the zombie apocalypse hits, driving through downtown would be faster. I avoid taking the Perimeter, too (285). All through-trucks are required to take 285 so not only does it add many miles, it is a gladiatorial battle with truckers and pocket-rockets that like weaving through. Get in the third-lane from the left on 75 and stay there, watch several cars ahead, and just knuckle through downtown... that's my advice.

We drove through there in September, when we drove from Florida to Townsend, TN.  The people through Atlanta don't want to give anybody a break.  I needed to move one lane to the right as I near the I-75 lanes north of Atlanta, and my turn signal seemed to be an indicator for people to speed up and block me in.  Finally, one nice person blocked traffic so I could get over.  Coming home, we sat in traffic Southbound, losing an hour or so as an accident blocked all northbound lanes and everybody heading south had to look.  The northbound traffic jam was mind boggling.  That made me want to avoid this next time.  Both north and south trips through Atlanta were around 2PM. 

Thanks for posting alternative routes.  I'll have to check them out.

• 7 months later...

Well this year we're going to try and dodge Atlanta when we head to Florida.   We're planning on taking the I-65 out of Nashville to Montgomery and then pick up the 231 until the I-10.  We'll then just take that over to the I-75.  

Can anyone along the way just let me know the current condition of those roads.  Were they affected by any of the flooding from Matthew or is everything ok?  Are there any places that could give us trouble?  

• 2 weeks later...

Can't speak for the roads, we went through there in May, but the route was not what we hoped.  Tons of traffic lights, and traffic.  Wound up taking a lot longer than anticipated, and next year have already decided to roll the dice in Atlanta. It was worth a shot though....  Probably a good option if you're starting south of Nashville, so you don't have to back track. 

After 7pm, we have very little trouble with going through the southern portion of Atlanta on I-20 to I-75.

Having said that, every time I have to be on I-75 or the "loop" on the northern part of Atlanta, it's always bad.

I also really don't like 231 with the lights and slowdowns through towns.

So we ALWAYS take I-65 - I-20, then I-75