The problem using DVC points at the Fort is that there are a limited number of sites made available for DVC and it's almost impossible to book them.  In the almost 18 years we've had our points I've only been able to use them at the Fort once, about 6 years ago, and only for a week.

As noted above it's just not a really good use of points.  Much better to book into one of the resorts.  My own favourite is Old Key West

Yes sites on DVC Points seem hard to get plus there might be a limit on how many days in a row you can book using DVC but I am sure you could make more then one reservation. Cost wise might not be that much cheaper unless you buy a resale.

It "might" be beneficial especially since you are a family of 4 to try and find a very small contract (25-50 points) on resale and see if the contract price, maintenance fees etc, balance out the savings on Annual Passes.

But using the points at the Fort, from what I understand don't add up.

• 4 weeks later...

We have DVC and using the points for any normal hotel rooms, campsites, or the cruise line is not worth it. The point cost is far more than it costs to use the points at a DVC resort. We bought in because we are related to a cast member and got an amazing deal about 5 years ago (think original point costs from 25 years ago). We didn't buy too much. Anyway, what we have found is we don't use our points for one year and then use the extra points every other year to book a much nicer room. 

Oh, when I say the cruise line isn' worth it, yeah don't do that. If it tell you anything even the member cruises advertise very clearly you can book with cash and get the full DVC benefits for the cruise. 

Also, they have just instituted that if you buy resale, you get none of the extra benefits such as discounted APs, booking outside DVC properties, etc.

I sortof considered a small purchase (like 25 points, only available on resale market), just to get the lower priced APs, but now not possible.

24 minutes ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

Also, they have just instituted that if you buy resale, you get none of the extra benefits such as discounted APs, booking outside DVC properties, etc.

I sortof considered a small purchase (like 25 points, only available on resale market), just to get the lower priced APs, but now not possible.

Another loophole closed....