Hurricane season?

So my husband and I have been at The Fort 3 times so far in August (but a total of 9 times so far) and on our last August trip we were faced with a potential hurricane. We are returning again this August which I'm not worried about but we'd like to plan a 20th anniversary trip for Sept 2017. Anyone been there in Sept or during a hurricane?  I'm almost positive we would camp vs stay at a resort since our kids will be staying home for this trip and we'd like to camp without them for once:)  What does Disney do for campers if a hurricane hits? Do you evacuate to a shelter? If you decide to leave do they reimburse you? What if your RV gets damaged by branches/trees?  Any advice or suggestions are appreciated!

Live nearby but also have stayed at the park in September.  Overall a great time to come.  Any time from June though November can be hit or miss for hurricanes, but the peak is September 10th.  However, even then, the odds of a storm coming when you are there will be low.  In the past, Fort Wilderness has been evacuated if there is a storm approaching.  If I recall correctly, they provide shelter on a space available basis at other resorts, and I believe you can check back into the Fort when cleared if you have days remaining.  Of course you can always check out early and get a refund for the days you miss.  I don't think you'll have an issue though.  September and early December are my two favorite times of year there.  We'll be camping there in September this year as well.  Enjoy. 

I would not avoid a trip just because it is hurricane season. First, how many and where they will go is very unpredictable. Second, you have plenty of warning about arrival and the path of the hurricane if it is headed toward Florida. The worst case is it would cause the Fort to evacuate at which point you will have plenty of time to decide what you want to do. 

From another florida resident I agree with everyone else, I wouldn't avoid the Fort in September or worry about the possibility of a hurricane.

If there is a storm that could effect Florida you'll have plenty of warning. Then just keep an eye on it and decide what to do as it progresses.

I don't know for sure but would assume that they would evacuate the Fort if there was a storm forecast to hit the Orlando area. If it was me and a storm was going to hit I would probably just leave early, better safe then sorry type thing. I doubt Disney would take responsibility for anything that happened to your personal property in the case of a storm and I'm not sure I would want to ride out a direct hit or close hurricane at the Fort with the trees and such.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back in the dark ages of pagers and no internet or cell phones (so no up to the minute storm tracking) we were at the Fort and either a hurricane or severe storm was approaching.  They asked everybody to evacuate the Fort, I think they put everyone up in a convention hall or two at the Contemporary.  Since we lived in Tampa, we got a credit for the day or two we had to cut short, and we packed up and headed home.  When we got to Tampa the sun was shining, and I don't think we got a drop of rain.  Orlando did get heavy rains and moderate to high winds..I remember seeing a couple of pictures of the Disney Resorts with storm shutters on them, and the larger potted plants either drug under cover or tipped over as a precaution.

We have reservations this year for early September to early October.  While thinking about a hurricane hitting the Fort isn't pleasant, we also have the potential for hurricane damage here at home.  It's just something we live with.  We had a nasty one several years ago that caused major damage in the Myrtle Beach area and then headed toward us.  We were without power for three days.  And we live 200 miles from the coast.

If the Fort is evacuated and they put us in a convention hall, where do we park our rig?

We were there back in 2001 and a tropical storm came through...They evacuated us to Port Orleans, pets and all and we parked our trailer in the parking lot of the hotel...Next day we were able to go back to our site...Very professional...Unlike a few years ago when while at the Fort we had a Tornado Warning for the immediate area... Not one person came through the camp to warn people to seek shelter...Fortunately there was no tornado just brief severe T storm but I felt they dropped the ball...

For the 2004 tornadoes, they evacuated the Fort, and put folks into the hotels. There are plenty of hotel rooms, as folks that haven't gotten in yet, cancel or postpone due to the airport being closed. Most folks park their rigs at the hotel they are put in.

4 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

For the 2004 tornadoes, they evacuated the Fort, and put folks into the hotels. There are plenty of hotel rooms, as folks that haven't gotten in yet, cancel or postpone due to the airport being closed. Most folks park their rigs at the hotel they are put in.

Did that include folks with trailers? I definitely feel it would be safer for them lined up in an open parking lot than individually at the Fort. Assuming it isn't a direct hit that is. If it were a direct hit it wouldn't matter much where you were parked.

Unlike a few years ago when while at the Fort we had a Tornado Warning for the immediate area... Not one person came through the camp to warn people to seek shelter...Fortunately there was no tornado just brief severe T storm but I felt they dropped the ball...

2 summers ago we were there and it had been raining and windy, the boats were shut down. We went back to the Fort for a planned lunch and nap. While eating lunch we heard a tornado siren going off. So we turned on the TV and I called the front desk to see if there was somewhere we should be heading. Guess what, nobody knew anything about it...... I asked if the had a storm siren and was told she had never heard one go off at the Fort before (I'm pretty sure that was an I don't know). Now I will say I have never heard it again at the Fort and it could have very possibly been another camper but they should at least know if they have a siren or not.

I'd fill all my tanks with water (the weight could only help, plus with a full fresh tank you're prepared) and take my trailer where ever I was being evacuated to. Try to get it behind a building out of the wind as much as possible.

But then we did ride out Hurricane Elena in a MH behind the hospital and tropical storms either in a mobile home, MH or on the boats at the docks with engines running.