Found a tick on Simon this morning :angry:   So frustrating as not only is he on flea/tick medication (Advantix), but I spray him with a water/apple cider spray a few times a week (it's suppose to ward off ticks/fleas).  On top of that.. he's never in the woods.  He's an indoor dog who is only outside to walk around the neighborhood and go potty.  PLUS when we walk him, we stay out of tall grass and don't let him rub up against any shrubs.  So... we've had him less than 2 months, are doing all of the "preventative" and still ... a tick!  YUCK and DANG IT!!!   

It is the beginning of tick season. It is kind of hard to keep them out of you yard as they will find their way on wild animals that cross your property. Some animals and people seem more prone to finding them. My wife hasn't had one that I ever recall yet I find at least a couple on me every year.

7 minutes ago, keith_h said:

It is the beginning of tick season. It is kind of hard to keep them out of you yard as they will find their way on wild animals that cross your property. Some animals and people seem more prone to finding them. My wife hasn't had one that I ever recall yet I find at least a couple on me every year.

Yuck.  Okay...that's not very encouraging....?

I expect a bad tick season this year for us since we had such a mild winter.

10 hours ago, Beckers said:

Ugh ticks creep me out.

YES... me too!!

10 hours ago, parrothead7368 aka Norm said:

Ticks go with the wind too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay...what?? They "float" in the wind??

10 hours ago, ftwildernessguy said:

Crap... does that make a difference?  We had a pretty mild winter here in Atlanta :huh:

15 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Found a tick on Simon this morning :angry:   So frustrating as not only is he on flea/tick medication (Advantix), but I spray him with a water/apple cider spray a few times a week (it's suppose to ward off ticks/fleas).  On top of that.. he's never in the woods.  He's an indoor dog who is only outside to walk around the neighborhood and go potty.  PLUS when we walk him, we stay out of tall grass and don't let him rub up against any shrubs.  So... we've had him less than 2 months, are doing all of the "preventative" and still ... a tick!  YUCK and DANG IT!!!   

NaCole, just a thought ... might you be decreasing the effects of Advantix by spraying the water/apple cider on him?

Even though Kassie is protected and also indoors, she occasionally picks up a tick too.

4 hours ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

NaCole, just a thought ... might you be decreasing the effects of Advantix by spraying the water/apple cider on him?

Even though Kassie is protected and also indoors, she occasionally picks up a tick too.

I'm not sure...maybe?  We're (now) going to do tick checks after each walk and we're shaving him soon, so tick checks will be easier.

On 4/24/2016 at 9:32 PM, ftwildernessguy said:

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about here too.  I've already found one on Lyn.

In my experience our dogs have picked up more ticks in grassy/brushy areas than in the woods. 

I've also yet to find anything that truly repels them.  Frontline and Advantix are at least supposed to kill them when they bite - reducing the risk of any transmission of disease - but when we used Frontline we still found live ticks on the dogs.

We've resorted to regular tick checks and hoping for the best.

I hate ticks.

• 1 month later...

My wife is a Vet so here is her deal with Ticks, as her and I have talked about this a lot since our dogs usually have a few on them from time to time.

Frontline and Advantix dont keep ticks off pets, they kill them once they "nest" on the pet.  They dont need to bite the pet only be in contact with the skin for a period of time.  She also says the apple ceder thing doesn't work from her experience.  But does attract fruit flies.