Site seeing along I95 to the fort

Hello! I am new to fortfiends. My husband, son, 2 fur babies, and myself will be traveling from WV to fort wilderness in October. What attractions are recommended along the way in SC and GA along I95

? We will be in a 37 ft mh. We will be leaving on a Wednesday and will arrive in fort wilderness on Friday. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance ?.

Welcome to the group!

We pick up 95 at the 26 interchange, so I can't help you with most of SC.  Hilton Head Island is nice, but it's quite a drive off 95 to get to it.  Not much to do there for a day trip, and the roads on the island aren't easy to maneuver in a motorhome.  There are a couple of good campgrounds, but they are 1+ mile off the beach.  

A day trip to Savannah would be nice.  From the visitors center you can take a walking trip through the old part of the city and down to the riverfront.  Otherwise there's not much near 95 to see/do in GA.  Be prepared for the stench from the paper mills near Brunswick!

Maybe someone else will come along with more suggestions.  

I suggest Savannah too. There are also a couple of Civil War forts there. One, Fort James Jackson, is run by the State of Georgia. The other, Fort Pulaski, is run by the National Park Service. Of the two Fort Pulaski had better parking for accommodating an RV. My recollection of Fort James Jackson's parking area was it being pretty small.   

As far as anything else along I-95 there really isn't much I can think of convenient to the interstate anywhere in NC. There is the Airborne & Special Operations Museum in Fayetteville, NC. It is one of those places where you could see and read most everything in it within an hour or two. If you are in a rush you can see all of the major exhibits in less than that.  The main roads into and out of the museum are good sized and they can accommodate buses so think you should be able to find a parking spot for your RV. I've never driven there from the I-95 direction but don't think it would be more than a 15-20 minute drive to the downtown where it is located. Here is a link to their site: http://www.asomf.org/    . If you want to eat while at the museum Huske Hardware, a brew pub, is an easy two block walk. There is also a Subway across the tracks from the museum in the train depot. There are some other restaurants along Hay St. but they start 4 or 5 blocks from the museum and run another 5 or 6 blocks after that so might be a bit of a walk depending upon how old your son is. Also a number of the other restaurants don't open for lunch.

I think we are planning on stopping in Savannah. Has anyone been to the Bonaventure cemetery?? If so, if the parking lot accommodates mh? My son is 12...he can probably out walk me lol. Thank you all so much for the suggestions...it's greatly appreciated! ?

There's always South of the Border lol. My husband runs down to Fl once a week for work and tries timing his break so he can stop at SOB and send me pictures to harass me. It's a shame it's going down hill (or maybe it's at the bottom of the hill at this point). 

2 minutes ago, Beckers said:

There's always South of the Border lol. My husband runs down to Fl once a week for work and tries timing his break so he can stop at SOB and send me pictures to harass me. It's a shame it's going down hill (or maybe it's at the bottom of the hill at this point). 

It was at the bottom of the hill 50 years ago!

Welcome !   There's not really a lot right near  I-95 in SC or GA without traveling a ways off.  Jekyll Island and/or St. Simons lsland are both very pretty. The Jekyll Island historic district is a nice place to walk around even if you don't pay to go in the houses. And the Georgia Sea Turtle Center there is interesting.  St. Simons has Fort Frederica National Monument.   We had a great ranger-led tour there.  St. Simons has some good restaurants too.   We ate at Barbara Jean's and Southern Soul BBQ. 

3 hours ago, AldeanFan said:

South of the border!

We've stayed in the campground. Nothing fancy but the sites are big and it felt very secure and safe. And you can get all the shot glasses and tacky t shirts you want!

Another vote for SOB!  As others stated above, it's not for everyone, but we always stop if only for a bite to eat.  We have also stayed overnight several times and as AldeanFan said, nothing fancy, but it has always been clean, quiet, and inexpensive.  B)