pop-up a/c--opinions, stand alone unit or roof mount unit?

Ok we got a 99 viking legend popup a couple weeks ago for a great price, BUT it has no a/c! We are looking at roof mount a/c units that range from $500-$1000  :rofl2: And we are looking at the stand alone units (vent free) 12,000 BTU for about $250-$400.....

OK,...fire away and give me your opinions, ideas, anything....we will take it!

Thanks so much!!! :)

He said that it is...we just think its cheaper for the free standing unit...but didn't know how well it would keep cool or if it would work?

Mike says the roof mounted will put out more cool air and be more efficient. So in the long run spending the money would be a better investment.

He said that it is...we just think its cheaper for the free standing unit...but didn't know how well it would keep cool or if it would work?

Mike says the roof mounted will put out more cool air and be more efficient. So in the long run spending the money would be a better investment.

I agree, but thats if you plan on keeping this pop-up for awhile. The Vikings were good but basic and I would make sure that the roof really is braced for the extra weight. If not, over time the roof will start to bow inward and the condensation from the AC, along with rain water, will pool on the roof and eventually leak.

The standalone AC will not be quite as efficient, but you can use it with your next camper or even at home if you need it. And if your next Pop-up has AC, you can sell the stand-alone.

:protip: :rofl2: :rofl2: :argh: :)

As long as the roof is braced and the electrical is there, I would go for the roof mount if for no other reason than the convenience.

I've had a pop up with a stand-alone and it cooled it Okay.  It got it down to about 78 in June in Florida, cooler at night.  It was warmer behind it, as the exhaust vent duct was very hot and radiated heat before it went outside.  We had a 97 Viking with a roof air and it chilled us, even in June.  IMHO I would go with the roof air, especially if it already has the roof ready to go for installation.

Oh I forgot.  One of the best things you can do with a pop up is put the solar blankets on the bunk ends.  It made a HUGE difference.  I know some people have used a heavier thing like that but a solar blanket is MUCH cheaper and works well.  I put my hand on the bunk end roof and where the solar blanket was it was cool to the touch and where I didn't cover the inch or so it was HOT.

Our pup was a viking that we put a roof mount on and it would freeze you out! Never a problem with weight even after 4 years. If you do go with roof mount, just park it "slightly" unlevel and all the water from a/c will drain off one corner.

if you go with the roof mount, make sure you keep the seal on it monitored

i am replacing wood on my very old popup because someone did not...the whole middle section rotted out

it is not a terrible fix, but a pita none the less

it certainly could have been avoided with simple maintenance

• 2 weeks later...

I would look in to the roof mounted unit and make sure it is braced properly. I would also consider a unit with the heat strips just in case you decide to camp in cooler weather. There is a company that also makes thermal bunk end covers called popup gizmos custom to diferent brands of pups