Campground Needed Near Fredericksburg, VA

Gretchen,

We stayed there.   It was quiet and clean and we would stay there again.   Decent restaurants along the highway on the way in.  We enjoyed Mimi's Cafe.  Make sure you go to Carl's Frozen Custard stand.  It was like a block party while everyone waits in line and it moves fast.  But it was a great experience.  Tasty too...

Gretchen,

We stayed there.   It was quiet and clean and we would stay there again.   Decent restaurants along the highway on the way in.  We enjoyed Mimi's Cafe.  Make sure you go to Carl's Frozen Custard stand.  It was like a block party while everyone waits in line and it moves fast.  But it was a great experience.  Tasty too...

Has anybody stayed there and used the train to DC?  From the pictures I've seen it looks like a nice place and the reviews are good. The only other KOA is in Maryland and although closer I really don't want to go through the DC traffic frustration to get there not to mention the extra 60-90 minutes driving time.

3 hours ago, Big Kahuna aka John said:

Gretchen,

Thanks for the info about frozen custard!  Do you have any idea how far it is from the convention center in Fredericksburg?

The train to DC would be nice but I'll have the dogs and cat along so won't make use of it.

It's about 14 miles from the campground to the convention center.    We drove up to the end of the metro blue line and ran that into DC for our day trips.  Took it to the central train station and then bought our grey line tickets.   Took the final tram to Arlington National Cemetery and then took the blue line from there back to the truck.   There is a train that goes from Fredericksburg to the metro line station. ie...  beginning of the blue line.      We found the hours were not conducive to our travel plans as the trains were very limited in time frames.  We elected to drive to the metro station where the trains ran every 10-20 minutes until late at night.

19 hours ago, Big Kahuna aka John said:

It's about 14 miles from the campground to the convention center.    We drove up to the end of the metro blue line and ran that into DC for our day trips.  Took it to the central train station and then bought our grey line tickets.   Took the final tram to Arlington National Cemetery and then took the blue line from there back to the truck.   There is a train that goes from Fredericksburg to the metro line station. ie...  beginning of the blue line.      We found the hours were not conducive to our travel plans as the trains were very limited in time frames.  We elected to drive to the metro station where the trains ran every 10-20 minutes until late at night.

Sorry to hijack your thread Gretchen but .....

About how long was the drive to the Blue Line station? We go up to DC once or twice a year but have always stayed in a hotel in Alexandria and always use the Metro to get around. Since we have the trailer we would rather use it and Fredericksburg would actually cut our drive and avoid the really heavy traffic you hit as you near Quantico.  

20 hours ago, Big Kahuna aka John said:

Thanks John, that is very doable.

1 hour ago, keith_h said:

Sorry to hijack your thread Gretchen but .....

About how long was the drive to the Blue Line station? We go up to DC once or twice a year but have always stayed in a hotel in Alexandria and always use the Metro to get around. Since we have the trailer we would rather use it and Fredericksburg would actually cut our drive and avoid the really heavy traffic you hit as you near Quantico.  

Not a problem Keith, I'm learning too.

No problem Keith....   We drove up to the Franconia Springfield Station which is about an hour up I 95.   I think it was right around 50 Miles.   Nice big parking deck and covered walkways into the metro station.  We would take  the blue line into the city and then head to the Main Train Station.  3 flights up we would be  on the ground/ street level.   You can buy your day passes for the grey line trams and take them all over the city and jump on and off.  We would time it so we took the last tram for the city out to the Lincoln Memorial late in the afternoon.  We then take the outer loop tram out to Arlington and do the cemetery.   I don't remember with certainty but it is the same tour company and I think we had to pay additional for the Arlington tour and again it is jump on and off in Arlington.   When we finally got back to the entrance,  you walk out of the building and cross the street and there is a blue line  stop right there.  15 minutes later you are back at your vehicle and headed south to Fredericksburg.

It sounds like the tour buses have changed. Back in 2005, my son and myself did something similar, except it was called TourMobile. (Unlimited on/off at various stops) We stayed in a cabin at the KOA in MD, and drove in to a Metro stop. The first day we Metroed into Union Station and bought a two-day bus ticket, and worked our way on the tour bus down to Arlington Cemetery, and was able to see the guards change and a flag lowering, then took the metro back to our Metro Stop. The 2nd day, we took the metro to Arlington, and worked our way back up to Union Station on the tour bus.

It was a nice way to see all the museums and monuments.

26 minutes ago, Big Kahuna aka John said:

No problem Keith....   We drove up to the Franconia Springfield Station which is about an hour up I 95.   I think it was right around 50 Miles.   Nice big parking deck and covered walkways into the metro station.  We would take  the blue line into the city and then head to the Main Train Station.  3 flights up we would be  on the ground/ street level.   You can buy your day passes for the grey line trams and take them all over the city and jump on and off.  We would time it so we took the last tram for the city out to the Lincoln Memorial late in the afternoon.  We then take the outer loop tram out to Arlington and do the cemetery.   I don't remember with certainty but it is the same tour company and I think we had to pay additional for the Arlington tour and again it is jump on and off in Arlington.   When we finally got back to the entrance,  you walk out of the building and cross the street and there is a blue line  stop right there.  15 minutes later you are back at your vehicle and headed south to Fredericksburg.

I lived in DC in the late 70's working at an education center my company used to run there. We don't tour when we go up and usually don't leave the city until late. An hour would be too much driving time when you add it onto the Metro travel time. I guess we'll just stick to staying at a hotel in Alexandria which also leaves us closer to the Birchmere as we try to catch a concert there when we are in town.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 9:53 PM, keith_h said:

I lived in DC in the late 70's working at an education center my company used to run there. We don't tour when we go up and usually don't leave the city until late. An hour would be too much driving time when you add it onto the Metro travel time. I guess we'll just stick to staying at a hotel in Alexandria which also leaves us closer to the Birchmere as we try to catch a concert there when we are in town.

There's a nice Hilton in Shirlington

Property Location
When you stay at Hilton Garden Inn Arlington-Shirlington in Arlington, you'll be connected to a shopping center and close to Fort Ward and Arlington National Cemetery. This hotel is within close proximity of Birchmere and Alexandria Presbyterian Church.

We've stayed there twice.  It's located in a little shopping/entertainment type village.  Harris Teeter grocery store is right across the street.

They have a shuttle van that takes you up to the Pentagon Metro station.  It's about a 10 minute ride.

Nice place, nice staff.  Decent price for that area.  Free parking.

We usually stay at the Homewood Suites in Alexandria. We like the extra room and since I typically stay up late I can watch TV or whatever without disturbing Rene. They have a free shuttle service to the King Street Metro station which is also a good spot to start walking the downtown. We have used it for both when we aren't planning a late night. If we drive we have to pay for parking at the Metro or downtown but the prices aren't bad and is easy to find.

28 minutes ago, keith_h said:

We usually stay at the Homewood Suites in Alexandria. We like the extra room and since I typically stay up late I can watch TV or whatever without disturbing Rene. They have a free shuttle service to the King Street Metro station which is also a good spot to start walking the downtown. We have used it for both when we aren't planning a late night. If we drive we have to pay for parking at the Metro or downtown but the prices aren't bad and is easy to find.

I'll have to remember that.  My wife wants to get back up to the DC area.  We stopped there last year for 3 days on our way back from NY.

Have you been to the Marine Museum in Quantico?  Very impressive place.  I would like to get back there, we had 2 granddaughters and they were good, but we (I) couldn't read as much of the placards as I would've liked.

We liked the Hilton since the grocery store was right across the street and it had free parking in a garage.  Nice being able to go to the deli/prepared food counter and pick up meals to eat in the room but I'll  look into the Homewood.

54 minutes ago, Travisma said:

I'll have to remember that.  My wife wants to get back up to the DC area.  We stopped there last year for 3 days on our way back from NY.

Have you been to the Marine Museum in Quantico?  Very impressive place.  I would like to get back there, we had 2 granddaughters and they were good, but we (I) couldn't read as much of the placards as I would've liked.

We liked the Hilton since the grocery store was right across the street and it had free parking in a garage.  Nice being able to go to the deli/prepared food counter and pick up meals to eat in the room but I'll  look into the Homewood.

We have never stopped at the Marine Museum. Usually this is near where the first traffic jam is driving up on Friday and by then we aren't in a mood to see anything other than our room. I need to really make the effort. If you are traveling along I-95 and have time the Airborne and Special Forces Museum in Fayetteville,NC is nice.  

Homewood Suites is on the northwestern edge of Alexandria. It is probably a 10-15 minute drive to downtown with lights and all. Further to the northwest there is a shopping center with a grocery store. There is also a Target nearby. I would say the drive is 5-10 minutes to that stuff. 

8 minutes ago, keith_h said:

We have never stopped at the Marine Museum. Usually this is near where the first traffic jam is driving up on Friday and by then we aren't in a mood to see anything other than our room. I need to really make the effort. If you are traveling along I-95 and have time the Airborne and Special Forces Museum in Fayetteville,NC is nice.  

Homewood Suites is on the northwestern edge of Alexandria. It is probably a 10-15 minute drive to downtown with lights and all. Further to the northwest there is a shopping center with a grocery store. There is also a Target nearby. I would say the drive is 5-10 minutes to that stuff. 

Thanks for the info on the hotel and the Airborne Museum.

They put a lot of thought into the Marine one, and it's still growing.  The dioramas and the information that goes along with them is really interesting and well researched.  What I liked about it is there are not a lot of interactive exhibits so it's a lot calmer place than museums with kids fighting over who's next to play with whatever makes noise or shows a video.

• 2 months later...

I'm very happy to say our stay at the KOA in Fredericksburg, VA was successful.  Hubby went off each morning to the convention to fight aka play  war games.  His fav being a WWII navel  battle game, Seekrieg.  The convention center was only one exit north on 95.

We had a nicely shaded camp site near the office and the laundry.  Very quiet CG even on Friday and Saturday.  Saturday,  the CG had several things going to keep kids and parents entertained.  The camp store had a good variety of goods and gifts.  Prices were not outrageous.   I would stay there again.

Thanks to all who commented and helped me decide where to stay.