On our way to the fort the week before Easter, we stopped at our usual Orangeburg, SC Cracker Barrel to sleep for the night.  It was a slow go that drive and we didn't get stopped until about 1:30 am.  As we were moving some stuff and the dogs to the 5th wheel to sleep,  a beat up truck with 2 young "Canadians" approached me to solicit money for "gas".  I told them I didn't carry cash when I travel and to try the gas station on the corner.  After I spoke to them, they backed up and asked my wife if she had any money and I responded to them that I just told you we don't carry cash. I got all set up and took the dogs out one last time before turning in, and they drove by me again.

I would have felt a lot more uncomfortable if I didn't have my noisemaker in my pocket.   There were 3 other rv's there but were all sleeping. The fact that they pulled in right behind me just goes to show that people are watching you when you stop for the night- we may stick to campgrounds from now on, but more importantly,  keep yourself safe by bringing along your choice of advantage. These beautiful toys we all own by working hard are an attention getter if nothing else.

Stay safe!

Well, that's scary.  We overnight on the way home from the fort at CB, usually in Walterboro, SC.  But we're always in and have everything locked up tight by dark.

We always have breakfast at the Orangeburg CB on the way down.  It's a little different environment there than most CBs.

• 8 months later...

In Lake City, never park at Cracker Barrel. Nothing but trouble over in that corner of town. Between the CB, the Steak n Shake and hotel across from it, there have been three major incidents in the last year. It "looks" like a nice shady place to park out of the way. Don't do it. 

Go down a few blocks and park at the Walmart, that is much less appealing, but a million times safer. 

We do have an a Inn & Out trailer park right off 75, the exit before Casey Jones, but I wouldn't stay there either. 

7 hours ago, Roberta said:

In Lake City, never park at Cracker Barrel. Nothing but trouble over in that corner of town. Between the CB, the Steak n Shake and hotel across from it, there have been three major incidents in the last year. It "looks" like a nice shady place to park out of the way. Don't do it. 

Go down a few blocks and park at the Walmart, that is much less appealing, but a million times safer. 

We do have an a Inn & Out trailer park right off 75, the exit before Casey Jones, but I wouldn't stay there either. 

Good to know about that CB, we almost stayed there in November, but I decided that I wanted power, so we continued on to Casey Jones.  We typically stay at the CB in Gainesville and have never had an issue, but CB is not as well lit as a Walmart or truck stop...so I can see a definite value in those.

On 5/15/2016 at 3:08 PM, PGHFiend said:

These beautiful toys we all own by working hard are an attention getter if nothing else.

Stay safe!

Ironically, I had this same conversation with another RV owner earlier this week; he had experience vandalism to his unit, at an overnight stop ?

I'm just reading this for the first time

Scary stuff and crazy people out there.  

Y'all be safe. 

There's a reason why the campground at south of the border is behind a gate and has a guard patrolling the premises at night. Had an enlightening conversation with him at 2:30 am while walking the dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe it's just me, but I think there's a significant difference in security in a TT or 5'er versus a Class A.  When we traveled in a TT, we always stopped at a hotel on the way down and back.  In our Class A, we lock ourselves in before dark at a FJ or CB.  And we sufficiently "pack"  to stop anyone who gets in. 

14 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Good to know about that CB, we almost stayed there in November, but I decided that I wanted power, so we continued on to Casey Jones.  We typically stay at the CB in Gainesville and have never had an issue, but CB is not as well lit as a Walmart or truck stop...so I can see a definite value in those.

Honestly, the Cracker Barrel would be fine if they would close the Steak & Shake. That is the sketchiest place in that whole area of town. A lot of the employees are the problem. Two shootings there in a year, both involving employees. One domestic, one drug related. I have heard that they deal drugs out of there, and the shooting backs ups that rumor. Drugs are probably the only way it stays in business, honestly. I don't know a single person who would ever go there. 

With all the dozens of new restaurants that have come in 2016, along 90, and as many more under construction, I think Steak & Shake will eventually be a thing of the past, which will make things nice there. It's like an ugly mole on that entire end of town. 

19 hours ago, bhall said:

There's a reason why the campground at south of the border is behind a gate and has a guard patrolling the premises at night. Had an enlightening conversation with him at 2:30 am while walking the dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly why I like staying there. Clean, quiet, and safe. And inexpensive too.   :-)

For a long time I knew they had a Campground but never took the trouble to look at it, after all it's SOB... it's probably loud, dirty, and not somewhere you would want to stay after dark right? :ph34r:   Wrong.  Have stayed many times since then and we are always pleased.  

The bathrooms and showers are older and could use an update, but they are always clean and well stocked with soap and sometimes even shampoo (they have the motel cleaning staff take care of the CG too)   B)

13 hours ago, Avatab.... Steve said:

Exactly why I like staying there. Clean, quiet, and safe. And inexpensive too.   :-)

For a long time I knew they had a Campground but never took the trouble to look at it, after all it's SOB... it's probably loud, dirty, and not somewhere you would want to stay after dark right? :ph34r:   Wrong.  Have stayed many times since then and we are always pleased.  

The bathrooms and showers are older and could use an update, but they are always clean and well stocked with soap and sometimes even shampoo (they have the motel cleaning staff take care of the CG too)   B)

What campground and where is it?

14 hours ago, Avatab.... Steve said:

I should clarify my post that I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't safe.  I felt 100% safe there.

1 hour ago, LONE-STAR said:

What campground and where is it?

South of the Border.  I will not hesitate to stay there again.  Scenery is lacking but for a quick overnighter, it's perfect.

12 hours ago, bhall said:

I should clarify my post that I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't safe.  I felt 100% safe there.

South of the Border.  I will not hesitate to stay there again.  Scenery is lacking but for a quick overnighter, it's perfect.

Same here, I have always felt safe there, even when arriving late at night. There always seems to be a security truck driving around the grounds and the front gate requires a key card to use the vehicle gate and the pedestrian gate. And when you stay at the CG you can use the indoor pool, hot tub, etc at the motel.  :-)

The scenery does include a giant neon sombrero over the trees.......   ;)

But even with all that Neon so close, the CG has a ton of trees and is screened from the lights and sounds from the rest of SOB and the highway. It really is a nice quiet and cheap place to overnite  B)