Ah, come on- you can see the rails if you look . . .

True, this thread started out with a photo of some canoes at the Fort, but it has morphed into photos of the Fort posted on social media sites- mostly Instagram.

Speaking of which, Halloween photos are starting to become popular there.

Check out this one, which appears to be recent:

c%20d%20halloween_zps2xfdhbwm.jpg

What's newsworthy about that photo is that I thought Chip and Dale only wore their Halloween costumes on Halloween night, but here they are.

And then there's this one- very cool decorations:

fw%20halloween_zpsyqivrlfi.jpg

And here's one I have a question about:

fw%20halloween.2_zpsu5sncnix.jpg

What I see here is a well decorated site.  These campers have one of those signs with all their pet names on it.  And, there's a sign there about a wireless fence.  Is the sign a joke, or did these folks actually set up one of those invisible fences for their fur babies?

TCD

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Umm, where I live you've just described the menu at a family reunion. 

You get a seat for a 30 minute excursion plus free ice cream and a bottle of water for only $299. Only $399 for Paddling with the Pyrotechnics which includes a fireworks viewing dessert party.  

With all this mystery meat and sewer hose talk, I couldn't remember what this thread was actually started about.  So I scrolled back.  It was about a canoe.   LOL.   We've gone off the rails

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

fw%20halloween.2_zpsu5sncnix.jpg

What I see here is a well decorated site.  These campers have one of those signs with all their pet names on it.  And, there's a sign there about a wireless fence.  Is the sign a joke, or did these folks actually set up one of those invisible fences for their fur babies?

TCD

Those portable invisible fences that have a sending unit that covers a circular perimeter, rather than buried wires, would be easy to set up at a campground.  I wouldn't do it...but it would be easy to do.  

1 minute ago, DaveInTN said:

Those portable invisible fences that have a sending unit that covers a circular perimeter, rather than buried wires, would be easy to set up at a campground.  I wouldn't do it...but it would be easy to do.  

I haven't heard about the portable ones.  One of our neighbors had one of the buried wire ones installed, and it was an epic fail.  Their dog was nice, but he was nuts, and on occasion, he would man up and take the shock just for a chance to chase a person riding by on a bike or to bite the mailman.  That was an expensive experiment for the neighbors.

Although we all know there are no such things as pet rules at the Fort, I would hope that these wireless "fences" are not allowed.  My dog would be provoked by some random dog running up to him if we were walking around the loop.

TCD

On 10/25/2016 at 9:47 PM, DaveInTN said:

Spend a few days after a camping weekend with your bowels gushing like Niagara Falls and you look for possible sources of infectious pathogens. Taking a few seconds to spray the spigot is simple insurance. I don't see it as any different than using a filter...which I do also.

Thanks for that description. 

On 10/26/2016 at 10:35 AM, DaveInTN said:

With all this mystery meat and sewer hose talk, I couldn't remember what this thread was actually started about.  So I scrolled back.  It was about a canoe.  

LOL.  

We've gone off the rails before...actually, we pretty much always go off the rails.  But I can't even see the rails from here.  

This might be a record. 

On 10/27/2016 at 1:13 PM, Tri-Circle-D said:

I haven't heard about the portable ones.  One of our neighbors had one of the buried wire ones installed, and it was an epic fail.  Their dog was nice, but he was nuts, and on occasion, he would man up and take the shock just for a chance to chase a person riding by on a bike or to bite the mailman.  That was an expensive experiment for the neighbors.

Although we all know there are no such things as pet rules at the Fort, I would hope that these wireless "fences" are not allowed.  My dog would be provoked by some random dog running up to him if we were walking around the loop.

TCD

My son has one of the wireless units set up at their house, and it works really well for their doggies. I don't know that they've tried it at any other location.

21 hours ago, thegooftroopfla said:

He was at the beach bash. He came out more than once and walked around for about 20 minutes at a time. They also cancelled the campfire and sing a long at the theatre location the same night

That's why no movie was listed on the 30th. They did show Nightmare before Christmas on the far side of the beach during the beach bash.

Yes I did see the Headless Horseman in person. He was in the area they made up with old stalks and hay bales and put the Sleepy Hallow sign up at. It was in front of Trails End at the Y area where they normally have the wagons in front of. The smaller area held the pumpkins and the larger area was the Headless Horseman area. 

The Headless Horseman just moved around the area and stood at each point for a minute or so. It was all photo opts really. It was cool though and crowded. Overall it was a good time by all. They did do a photo scavenger hunt which I would have been all over if I had known. They also had a food truck with hamburgers and things at the Beach Bash and also the Movie area on Halloween.

4 minutes ago, Mich1073 said:

That's why no movie was listed on the 30th. They did show Nightmare before Christmas on the far side of the beach during the beach bash.

Yes I did see the Headless Horseman in person. He was in the area they made up with old stalks and hay bales and put the Sleepy Hallow sign up at. It was in front of Trails End at the Y area where they normally have the wagons in front of. The smaller area held the pumpkins and the larger area was the Headless Horseman area. 

The Headless Horseman just moved around the area and stood at each point for a minute or so. It was all photo opts really. It was cool though and crowded. Overall it was a good time by all. They did do a photo scavenger hunt which I would have been all over if I had known. They also had a food truck with hamburgers and things at the Beach Bash and also the Movie area on Halloween.

Thanks for reporting all of that.  It sounds like the Beach Bash was much nicer than similar Beach Bashes they have done for other holidays.

TCD

They had these cool big balloon blow up lights that were super bright on the beach for light.  A very loud DJ up near the front and the boat ramp/wood patio area.  Also had several games set up. CMs were walking around giving the kids glow bracelets and the food truck was set up in front of the pumpkin area but along the front of the playground and before the road that leads to River Country. Then they had the top ten golf carts on display in the golf cart parking by the beach. All normal golf carts were parked in the Trails End lot (I think overflow was down the River Country road but not sure). They also had ALOT of Police and FW Rangers policing the area. It was well run and busy.

1 minute ago, Mich1073 said:

They had these cool big balloon blow up lights that were super bright on the beach for light.  A very loud DJ up near the front and the boat ramp/wood patio area.  CMs were walking around giving the kids glow bracelets and the food truck was set up in front of the pumpkin area but along the front of the playground and before the road that leads to River Country. Then they had the top ten golf carts on display in the golf cart parking by the beach. All normal golf carts were parked in the Trails End lot (I think overflow was down the River Country road but not sure). They also had ALOT of Police and FW Rangers policing the area. It was well run and busy.

Those big lights are the norm for the beach bashes.

It does sound like it was run better, and having the winning golf carts on display was a great added bonus.

9 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Those big lights are the norm for the beach bashes.

It does sound like it was run better, and having the winning golf carts on display was a great added bonus.

Yes, I've seen those big lights many times.  And the loud DJ.  Definitely the loud DJ.

But, this is the first I've heard of them having the winning golf carts on display.  That's a great idea!

TCD

27 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

From what I've seen and heard, I agree.

Moving the pumpkin carving contest display from the campfire area to the Settlement was another smart change:

TCD

It looks like they had a huge amount of pumpkins in the contest.  The tiered shelves look great and look sturdy and it looks like they are in an area where little hands can't destroy them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...