Rumor: Sum of All Thrills Closing?

• 10 months later...

Here's an interesting development . . .

There's now a rumor that Sum of all Thrills will be reopening:

http://orlparkpass.com/2017/08/rumor-sum-of-all-thrills-to-reopen-at-epcot/

RUMOR: Sum of all Thrills to reopen at Epcot

Screen-Shot-2015-11-17-at-8.19.35-PM.png

Take this rumor as a grain of salt… but there is some pretty significant evidence to back it up.

Apparently the Sum of all Thrills attraction in Innoventions East will be reopening. Come August 13th, Future World East will only have 2 major operating attractions, as the Wonders of Life pavilion and Energy pavilion will both be closed. Test Track and Mission Space will be open, along with the small Colortopia attraction in Innoventions East.

This past Friday while visiting Colortopia, the Sum of all Thrills marquee and show lighting were both on, this is unusual because ever since the ride has closed all of the lighting has been off. A cast member informed us that crews have been cycling and testing the ride at night recently. They have also been messing with the lighting and show elements. (Side note- Apparently Glidden is NOT happy with the current state of building that their brand new Colortopia attraction is operating in)

If the attraction does re-open it can make a great addition to Future World East. Hopefully they will even add some exterior signage to push guests inside the mostly closed and hidden Innoventions East building to experience the amazing Colortopia, and hopefully the Sum of all Thrills. Once again, take this rumor with a grain of salt.

TCD

3 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I would love for this rumor to be true, but the author of that article lost credibility when he called Colorotopia amazing.

TCD

LOL!  I'll give you that one.

Maybe Disney is realizing that while it's great they've announced all this cool new stuff for Epcot is coming, it's going to be quite a while before it happens and they need SOMETHING good happening in Future World in the meantime.

We can only hope...

15 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

LOL!  I'll give you that one.

Maybe Disney is realizing that while it's great they've announced all this cool new stuff for Epcot is coming, it's going to be quite a while before it happens and they need SOMETHING good happening in Future World in the meantime.

We can only hope...

The rumor article makes a good point- there will only be two attractions left on that side of Future World after Ellen's Energy Adventure closes.  If Sum of all Thrills is operational, they need to open it back up so guests have something to do. 

TCD

3 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

The rumor article makes a good point- there will only be two attractions left on that side of Future World after Ellen's Energy Adventure closes.  If Sum of all Thrills is operational, they need to open it back up so guests have something to do. 

TCD

Yep.  Exactly what I was thinking.   EEA is supposedly closing in the next week-ish, so I guess we'll find out sooner than later.

Just now, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

So by this time next week, we may know for sure if this is a rumor or not.

Very true.  I walked through that area of Innoventions last week.  What a wasteland.  I saw no activity at Sum of All Thrills and I believe Colortopia is the only thing operating.  They would have to reopen the entrance near guest relations to make sure to get people in, but I don't think they can.  It will be interesting to say the least.

2 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Maybe.

They could be waiting for the start of the Food and Wine Festival to announce the "new" attraction.  Ironically, they closed it at the start of last year's Food and Wine Festival.

TCD

That's a possibility.  "Back by popular demand and just in time for F&W..."

1 minute ago, djsamuel said:

Very true.  I walked through that area of Innoventions last week.  What a wasteland.  I saw no activity at Sum of All Thrills and I believe Colortopia is the only thing operating.  They would have to reopen the entrance near guest relations to make sure to get people in, but I don't think they can.  It will be interesting to say the least.

I wandered through there last fall - yeesh.  Reminded me of when a mall is failing and there are only card shop and the Spencer gifts are left.  :(

26 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

They did use the old space for the House of the Future exhibit as a distribution area for the Passholder Food and Wine Gift last year (the glass tumbler) and as a display area for Passholder merchandise. If they do the same this year, that would drive traffic into that area.  But, they didn't give out any kind of Passholder gift for this year's Flower and Garden Festival, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is no Passholder gift this year for Food and Wine.

TCD

37 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

They did use the old space for the House of the Future exhibit as a distribution area for the Passholder Food and Wine Gift last year (the glass tumbler) and as a display area for Passholder merchandise. If they do the same this year, that would drive traffic into that area.  But, they didn't give out any kind of Passholder gift for this year's Flower and Garden Festival, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is no Passholder gift this year for Food and Wine.

TCD

That's because DVC members are their new cash cows and are bending over backwards to accommodate them.