Crack down ! Should the Fort do this?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sadly, this episode is a perfect illustration of why the Fort management has a huge problem on their hands when it comes to enforcing the golf cart rules. We will never know what really happened,

It depends upon which end of the boomer generation your in. My wife and I are boomers and our kids are Millennials by birth dates as are many of our friends and neighbors kids.

My gut feeling on this is that they were stopped and informed of the problem and the mom got mouthy so things escalated.   Hopefully at the very least she learned a lesson and won't let the kid drive

I expect that there was a little blame that could be attributed to the Malls', but the officer not showing up for court two times tells me that they didn't have a case and were stonewalling knowing that it would finally go away.  How could you charge someone with being intoxicated and never give any type of sobriety test?  

My gut feeling on this is that they were stopped and informed of the problem and the mom got mouthy so things escalated.   Hopefully at the very least she learned a lesson and won't let the kid drive the cart again.

You would think that since the father was in the front next to the kid, he would have been the one in trouble? I found another article saying the mom pointed her finger in the cop's face and told him he should be ashamed of himself because he made her kids cry. So I'm not buying her story that she was %100 innocent here

2 hours ago, ftwildernessguy said:

My gut feeling on this is that they were stopped and informed of the problem and the mom got mouthy so things escalated.   Hopefully at the very least she learned a lesson and won't let the kid drive the cart again.

Probably.  If not... too harsh.

I think if underage kids are caught driving Disney golf carts, the carts should be confiscated for the rest of the stay and the users don't get back any $$. 

Doesn't the rental agreement state all the rules pretty clearly?

When a person brings in a private cart, at check in they should be given a set of rules that they need to read, sign and return.  Then if little Missy or Buddy are caught, the cart should be impounded until the people leave.

6 minutes ago, Travisma said:

I think if underage kids are caught driving Disney golf carts, the carts should be confiscated for the rest of the stay and the users don't get back any $$. 

Doesn't the rental agreement state all the rules pretty clearly?

When a person brings in a private cart, at check in they should be given a set of rules that they need to read, sign and return.  Then if little Missy or Buddy are caught, the cart should be impounded until the people leave.

This is not only a under age problem, I have seen a lot of clearly old enough drivers that do not follow the rules. All you have to do is sit and watch and observe the traffic, speeding, passing stopped buses, careless driving, drinking while driving, and such happen all the time. Also a lot of people do not realize how unstable a golf cart is, raise it up and put oversize tires on it and it get worst, they turn over real easy at high speeds. The rules need to be followed or Disney just might no longer allow us to bring our carts. Don't get me started on loud radios or blowing horns every 10 seconds or loud mufflers.

1 hour ago, Beckers said:

You would think that since the father was in the front next to the kid, he would have been the one in trouble? I found another article saying the mom pointed her finger in the cop's face and told him he should be ashamed of himself because he made her kids cry. So I'm not buying her story that she was %100 innocent here

Isn't social media wonderful?  A strictly local issue on a secluded island hits the national media, complete with the sobbing mother on home video being roughed up by the big bad Police, then the obligatory in home interview where she doesn't understand why she was arrested. She was saying how she was taken into the jail in leg irons and it just wasn't right.  Most police agencies have a set of rules they follow for everyone they arrest, for their safety and the persons.

I think Beckers got it right.  It was probably going to be a warning to the dad since he was in the front seat, and Mrs. High and Mighty butted in and got taken down. Funny how the video only started when the cops were trying to cuff her.

And the only powered transportation on the island is golf carts.  You have to take a boat to reach the island.

Sadly, this episode is a perfect illustration of why the Fort management has a huge problem on their hands when it comes to enforcing the golf cart rules.

We will never know what really happened, but we do know that a child was driving a golf cart, and that a police officer stopped the cart because of that.  How would something have this played out at Fort Wilderness with one of the geriatric Rangers?

People are ***holes.  I've seen it myself at the Fort while slowly driving all the way out on Fort Wilderness Trail behind some Guido with gelled hair and a big gold chain, talking on his cell phone, driving his golf cart at 7 miles and hour, with his wife and six or seven kids squeezed in the cart.  The jackwagon flipped me off when I gave him a courtesy tap of the horn.  I've seen the same behavior by jackwagons with buses behind them.

We live in a society where people believe that rules are suggestions, and they can do as they please.  There is no such thing as common courtesy.  And pity the fool who tries to stop these jackwagons from being jackwagons. 

TCD

7 minutes ago, jayco1 said:

Guido ?

Yeah, like this:

guido_zpsde6kye4c.jpg

Urban Dictionary defines a Guido as a sad pathetic excuse for a man, not necessarily of Italian descent, but most likely; usually a native of New York/New Jersey tri-state area.

That's who was driving the golf cart I got stuck behind.  Only I would guess he was from South Florida- like Miami-ish.

TCD

We live in a society where people believe that rules are suggestions, and they can do as they please.  There is no such thing as common courtesy.  And pity the fool who tries to stop these jackwagons from being jackwagons. 

I said for years that common courtesy is no longer common.

1 minute ago, oft013 said:

These people live in the land of ME, where everything revolves around them.

Part of the problem is cultural, a lot of the problem is generational/age.

Perfect example, yesterday I was lugging some large items down a narrow walkway.  Young all dressed up managerial type keeps walking towards me causing me to stop with my burden so I didn't hit him or the wall.  Few seconds late a middle age guy steps into a recessed area allowing me to keep walking.  I told him thanks and got a your welcome in return.

Once they started giving out awards just for being semi conscious, everyone thought they were special, and the lack of parental supervision or just giving a damn really started the big decline.

And people wonder why there are so many shootings and stabbings.  No one was taught manners or tolerance of others.  probably the same reason the divorce rate is so high also.  No one wants to compromise on anything.

Generational and how and where one was raised. I'm 34 and was raised in Florida, grandfather is retired army, and the family business was in the tourist industry. I was raised to say yes or no sir/ma'am ( close family friends were/are called aunts or uncles) open and hold doors, be respectful and polite, wait my turn to speak, help or offer to help people, say please and thank you, offer someone a seat. I'm floored every time I get on a Disney bus at the number of teenagers to people in their 30s or 40s who will watch someone older, or with children get on a bus and not move or offer to move for them. I understand some people have disabilities or reasons they need to sit but not a bus full of people.

What gets me even more is when you do offer or do something for someone and don't get a thank you or any recognition. On our Christmas trip we were coming back on one of the launches a d the was a couple with their 2 granddaughters in strollers. We offered them help, and a ride back up to the parking lot on the golf cart. My mom had given them her business card while we chatted and when we got home there was a thank you card from them with a little note if we were ever in their area to give them a call.

But that's not the ME or easy thing to do, and that's all it seems most people care about now a days.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, oft013 said:

Actually I think common courtesy, like common sense, left the planet quite some time ago

15 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Oops so what I was getting at before my tangent was that it's not entirely a generational thing as I have seen younger people with good manners as well as older with poor or no manners.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

When we moved to Texas 18 years ago, I saw good manners, the yes sir, no sir, door holding etc from young people that were involved in high school activities, such as football or band.  The kids were taught by the coaches/ teachers.  You could always tell which kids were involved.  It was quite a shock at first.  The flip side to that was you could tell the kids that weren't involved were not learning these things at home. 

15 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Oops so what I was getting at before my tangent was that it's not entirely a generational thing as I have seen younger people with good manners as well as older with poor or no manners.

I agree that rude behavior isn't confined to a particular generation.

We need to remember that the Baby Boomer generation is the original "Me Generation."

Their offspring, known as Millennials, are the "Me, Me, Me Generation."

Sociologists and other bright folks have spent a lot of time pondering what this means, and it's fascinating stuff: http://time.com/247/millennials-the-me-me-me-generation/,

From that article:

I am about to do what old people have done throughout history: call those younger than me lazy, entitled, selfish and shallow. But I have studies! I have statistics! I have quotes from respected academics! Unlike my parents, my grandparents and my great-grandparents, I have proof.

Here’s the cold, hard data: The incidence of narcissistic personality disorder is nearly three times as high for people in their 20s as for the generation that’s now 65 or older, according to the National Institutes of Health; 58% more college students scored higher on a narcissism scale in 2009 than in 1982. Millennials got so many participation trophies growing up that a recent study showed that 40% believe they should be promoted every two years, regardless of performance. They are fame-obsessed: three times as many middle school girls want to grow up to be a personal assistant to a famous person as want to be a Senator, according to a 2007 survey; four times as many would pick the assistant job over CEO of a major corporation. They’re so convinced of their own greatness that the National Study of Youth and Religion found the guiding morality of 60% of millennials in any situation is that they’ll just be able to feel what’s right. Their development is stunted: more people ages 18 to 29 live with their parents than with a spouse, according to the 2012 Clark University Poll of Emerging Adults. And they are lazy. In 1992, the nonprofit Families and Work Institute reported that 80% of people under 23 wanted to one day have a job with greater responsibility; 10 years later, only 60% did.

I recommend that your read the rest of the article- it explains a lot of what we see today.  Times have changed, and there's no going back.

TCD

37 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I agree that rude behavior isn't confined to a particular generation.

We need to remember that the Baby Boomer generation is the original "Me Generation."

Their offspring, known as Millennials, are the "Me, Me, Me Generation."

TCD

This is  incorrect, Baby Boomers(1946-64) offspring are Generation X(1964-1980), the Millennials(1980-2000) are the offspring of Gen X mostly.

Best Regards,

Norm