Crack down ! Should the Fort do this?

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 10:37 AM, Travisma said:

These people live in the land of ME, where everything revolves around them.

Perfect example, yesterday I was lugging some large items down a narrow walkway.  Young all dressed up managerial type keeps walking towards me causing me to stop with my burden so I didn't hit him or the wall.  Few seconds late a middle age guy steps into a recessed area allowing me to keep walking.  I told him thanks and got a your welcome in return.

Once they started giving out awards just for being semi conscious, everyone thought they were special, and the lack of parental supervision or just giving a damn really started the big decline.

And people wonder why there are so many shootings and stabbings.  No one was taught manners or tolerance of others.  probably the same reason the divorce rate is so high also.  No one wants to compromise on anything.

I had to run the string between two cans to talk to my cousins! In the snow! Uphill both ways!

I do remember my Aunt's party line with no dial on the phone.  You had to pick it up and tell the operator who you wanted to talk to.  All of the phone numbers started with a word, such as Hazelwood 9-2222.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sadly, this episode is a perfect illustration of why the Fort management has a huge problem on their hands when it comes to enforcing the golf cart rules. We will never know what really happened,

It depends upon which end of the boomer generation your in. My wife and I are boomers and our kids are Millennials by birth dates as are many of our friends and neighbors kids.

My gut feeling on this is that they were stopped and informed of the problem and the mom got mouthy so things escalated.   Hopefully at the very least she learned a lesson and won't let the kid drive

34 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

I had to run the string between two cans to talk to my cousins! In the snow! Uphill both ways!

I do remember my Aunt's party line with no dial on the phone.  You had to pick it up and tell the operator who you wanted to talk to.  All of the phone numbers started with a word, such as Hazelwood 9-2222.

Yup, the phones in our area were JOhn  which changed to 56.

I remember TV ads from NYC saying the phone # was Murray Hill X-XXXX.

Our city used to have a yearly exposition, local business's would set up displays.  One year the big display was NY Telephone showing off a new fangled push button phone. They had it next to a dial phone and you could race and time yourself to see what one dialed faster.

51 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Yup, the phones in our area were JOhn  which changed to 56.

I remember TV ads from NYC saying the phone # was Murray Hill X-XXXX.

Our city used to have a yearly exposition, local business's would set up displays.  One year the big display was NY Telephone showing off a new fangled push button phone. They had it next to a dial phone and you could race and time yourself to see what one dialed faster.

My uncle worked for the phone company.  He got one of the first pushbutton phones.  We were trying to figure out what the # and * buttons would ever be used for. We couldn't imagine a use.

1 hour ago, djsamuel said:

My uncle worked for the phone company.  He got one of the first pushbutton phones.  We were trying to figure out what the # and * buttons would ever be used for. We couldn't imagine a use.

You mean # the hashtag button? Haha, I kid, I kid. I know it's a pound sign 

I blame the inventor of the camera phone, 24 hour news, and Al Gore (self professed creator of the internet).  It would be a better world if we weren't subjected to everyone's  (including mine) every thought. It has given every whining nimrod a pulpit to complain. There have to be winners and ah hem..."non winners".  What successful society has thrived when all population being classified as partcipants? Without the strive for "more", personal growth is stunted.

Just left the fort yesterday and I really didn't notice a ton of kids driving golf carts. The only one I saw was probably 13-14yo I would say. There were a lot of overcrowded carts. The most troubling thing is the people driving their cats while openly drinking beer. My family is driving, walking, biking, etc. on those same roads. I think we have a right to not have to share them with someone drinking. Save it for the campsite. Maybe I'm just too idealistic. 

2 hours ago, WrigleysWagon said:

. The most troubling thing is the people driving their cats while openly drinking beer. My family is driving, walking, biking, etc. on those same roads. I think we have a right to not have to share them with someone drinking. Save it for the campsite. Maybe I'm just too idealistic. 

I hate when people endanger their pets ;)

when we we were there in October either mischief night or Halloween we had taken the kids out on the golf cart to look at decorations and ended up cutting it short because of the people driving like idiots (presumably drunk). 

I've really enjoyed this thread, it's good to see how many folks that had the same experiences as myself growing up. 

On the original subject of carts, we are presently in a campground in Sevierville, TN, and the golf carts are almost completely unregulated here.  I have seen everything from minors driving to adults driving and holding an infant in their arms at the same time.  They also do not come close to observing the "strictly enforced" 5Mph speed limit for vehicles.

The only rules for golf carts are, that they have to be registered in the office and must be a licensed driver to operate one.  Fortunately, this is a very large campground with wide roads and it is not saturated with them like most I have been in.

They also do not allow bike riding after dark.  I obeyed this, although no one else seemed to care as several were biking anyway.