S.E.A. Shu Mai from Jungle Skipper Canteen - Magic Kingdom

From Disney Parks Blog...

RECIPE: S.E.A. Shu Mai from Jungle Skipper Canteen at Magic Kingdom

Pam Brandon

by Pam Brandon, Food Writer, Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort

Advanced Dining Reservations are now available at Jungle Skipper Canteen in the Magic Kingdom, a restaurant which adds a whole new dimension to theme park dining at Walt Disney World Resort. Bold tastes from Asia, South America and Africa are prominent at the 222-seat table-service restaurant.

Fun décor takes you to the mess hall, or to the jungle-inspired parlor once used by the company’s founder, Dr. Albert Falls and his family. Behind the once-secret bookcase, another dining room is in a former meeting room of the mysterious Society of Explorers and Adventurers.

One of our favorite dishes are these steamed dumplings made with fresh pork, shrimp and the crunch of water chestnuts. The simple dipping sauce is the perfect accompaniment.

It takes a little time to grind the meat in your food processor – but you also could ask your butcher to do it for you. And wonton wrappers are available in most grocery store produce aisles. Ditto the sambal oelek, a spicy Southeast Asian chile sauce usually made with hot red chile peppers, salt and sometimes vinegar.

These dumplings make a great starter for any meal – or serve them as an entrée with a cool Asian salad.

Recipe for Shu Mai from Jungle Skipper Canteen at Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/06/recipe-s-e-a-shu-mai-from-jungle-skipper-canteen-at-magic-kingdom/

Gosh that recipe is complicated.

I think I'll cheat and buy frozen dumplings and just make the sauce, which is the best part of this dish anyway.

I never heard of Sambal Oelek, but I Googled it, and it looks like it's something not too hard to get ahold of.

TCD

Yeah, it seems like there's a lot to that recipe. My mom used to make pork shu-mai when I was a kid and I don't think there was much to it. In fact, I wonder if I have the recipe for it somewhere. I need to look and see if I can make hers one day!

The filling really doesn't take all that much time to make. It is the filling and shaping of the wrappers that becomes the never ending task. Since they freeze well I used to make up a large batch once or twice a year but with the wisdom I've gain with age I now to go to the Asian store and just buy what I want. The same goes for wontons and dumplings. Now if we only had a place where I could order tamales for Christmas like we could in California. 

While we can get Sambal at our local Asian market the also carry it in a couple of our chain grocery stores. I prefer the Vietnamese style chile garlic sauce. Other than the garlic there really isn't any difference in the ingredients. Just a side note. The US market for Sambal, Sriracha and chile garlic sauce is owned by Huy Fong Foods in California. They actually use ripe jalapenos for the sauces as opposed to the traditional peppers used in South East Asia. I've made my own chile garlic sauce using cayenne peppers and garlic from the garden which is closer to SE Asian recipes. While similar the flavor is different and does make a difference in the taste of some dishes.   

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

So my pantry collection obsession pays off again... I've already got a jar of sambal in the house! LOL

Using it tonight in a chicken and shrimp stir fry.

How did it turn out?

Mrs. TCD looked for the sambal sauce at Publix and came home empty handed. 

We did find that frozen PF Changs dumplings are good, and come with a decent dipping sauce.

But, I'm going to hunt down that sambal sauce.

TCD

5 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

How did it turn out?

Totally winged the marinade/sauce I used for the stir fry, but used a hefty amount of the sambal and it came out pretty darned good!

It was one of those spicy sauces that didn't smack you in the face right up front. The longer things sat in it, and the more you ate, the more it built up. And it was a tasty spicy, not just a "holy hannah this is hot" spicy.

1 minute ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Totally winged the marinade/sauce I used for the stir fry, but used a hefty amount of the sambal and it came out pretty darned good!

It was one of those spicy sauces that didn't smack you in the face right up front. The longer things sat in it, and the more you ate, the more it built up. And it was a tasty spicy, not just a "holy hannah this is hot" spicy.

I noticed the recipe only calls for one tablespoon for 1/4 cup of soy sauce.

Sounds like you used more.  I would have too.

TCD

Yeah I didn't follow the recipe at all.  I also didn't measure.  ;)

I wanted enough to marinate the chicken ahead, and still have some to cook things in.

I'm guessing I used probably 1/2 cup soy, about 2-3 TBS of Mirin, 1-2 tsp of fish sauce, about a TBS of sesame oil, enough brown sugar to balance out the saltiness (I just kept stirring and tasting - maybe 3 TBS?), a pinch of crushed mustard seed and black pepper, and if I had to guess a total of about 2-3 TBS of sambal.

I'd say go easy on the sambal at first.  What you taste in the just mixed sauce will get stronger as it sits.