2 year old boy grabbed and taken by gator at Grand Floridian

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As much as it hurts, and brings up very bad memories, this story is stacking up to be very true. The father has wounds from wrestling with the gator to try and rescue his son. This family needs lots o

I am the first to point the finger at the Disney corporation when it does something wrong, but I don't think it's fair to point the finger here. Look at what Disney did when the thought there was

Too many people blame the parents.  It was a horrific accident and I grieve for them.  But, I don;t blame them.  I grew up in Florida.  I understand alligators are everywhere but never thought about i

Posted Images

As I posted to my friends on FB, this story actually hit me pretty hard especially after they posted the picture of that little boy. It actually made me tear up. I agree with TCD on this and I don't think It's Disneys fault. Many canals all around the property lead to bay lake and seven seas lagoon. You could trap gators everyday and they would be back.  I don't think it's the parents fault either since everyone is on the bad parenting kick these days.  The father was right there. It's not like he was the typical parent who is drinking his 20$ drink at the pool bar while his kids are unsupervised by the lake. we all have seen this.  I can't express how bad I feel for this family.  I guess it's different since we visit so often it kinda hits home. You are brainwashed in thinking tha you are at the most magical place on earth yet something like this happens and all we do is ask why. This cute young child had his whole life ahead of him and it was taken in seconds at a place you would never imagine. I'm glad Disney is being pro-active with the fence.  I hope that is temporary and they put possibly a cement sea wall at all the beaches. We all know ropes and signs can't fix stupid these days . God bless this family. 

I've  had a really tough time wrapping my head around this whole thing.  I can think of nothing more tragic than what this family is going thru.  Imagine the excitement of a Disney vacation changed in an instant by such a tragedy.   I am afraid they will never recover from this horrific event.   I have seen the fencing pictures and think it will have little to no effect except to distract from the view and quiet the attorneys for a while.   I'm a Yankee so grew up without the threat of alligators, but spent a good part of my adult life living in swamps with them.   They are stone cold creatures whose only purpose in life is to feed and reproduce.  They are territorial and there isn't much more frightening than to see their glowing eyes at night a few feet away unless it is the thought of the ones you don't see.  Anyone caught on property feeding these things should be arrested, fined, banned from Disney.  I don't care if they paid 2000 bucks a night for a freakin bungalow or not.

5 hours ago, ftwildernessguy said:

Anyone caught on property feeding these things should be arrested, fined, banned from Disney.  I don't care if they paid 2000 bucks a night for a freakin bungalow or not.

Agree completely!

On 6/17/2016 at 6:42 PM, keith_h said:

I don't know how true the comments are considering the source but it wouldn't surprise me that the rich folks would habituate the alligators to the area by feeding them.

http://www.insideedition.com/headlines/17044-disturbing-video-shows-disney-employee-fighting-alligator-near-splash-mountain

Did you also notice that the alligator in question was the same alligator that also had people throwing popcorn at it "feeding it"?  No wonder it was going over there.

7 hours ago, GrizzlyBear22 said:

We have been staying at the fort this weekend and we just went down to the meadows to fish and were told the meadows was closed. No fishing or renting canoes. The only fishing going on is in the paid excursions on bay lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I figured that would be the case.

On 6/16/2016 at 8:31 PM, Travisma said:

Watching the fireworks and electric water parade from Clemintines Beach, we've seen plenty of kids and adults running around at the edge of the water. Maybe the gators don't hang around there as much because of the boat traffic.  But they are just about everywhere else that there is water.

Just remember there is a lot of "real" wildlife that calls Disney home.

One time approaching the dock at the Contemporary, we saw what looked like a black plastic bag blowing around on the beach, but it was going in different directions.  As we got closer we realized it was a very large otter playing at the waters edge.

I've seen rabbits running around in the bushes at Great Britian at Epcot, then of course the deer, turkeys and gators at the Fort.

And maybe I'm crazy, but I swear I saw a wolf or coyote from the monorail running thru the woods along 7 Seas Lagoon between the Contemporary and the ticket center stop.

On June 17th we were heading out to dinner from the Fort, turned left on Vista Blvd and a full grown coyote ran in front of my Jeep. All 4 of us in the Jeep saw it.

1 hour ago, oft013 said:

On June 17th we were heading out to dinner from the Fort, turned left on Vista Blvd and a full grown coyote ran in front of my Jeep. All 4 of us in the Jeep saw it.

I was walking the dog out towards the end of the 300 canal dog walk a couple of years ago and saw one peeking out of the woods on the other side of the canal watching us.

Coyotes are just about everywhere. They are living and breeding in downtown Chicago. We have them in my neighborhood even though the NC Wildlife Resource Commission swears to me that they stopped at the county line about 7 miles from the house. Most will run away from humans unless you have a pet and they are actively hunting. I don't know if this is common across the country but out west they are known to send a female in heat out to lure male dogs back to the pack. So if you know coyotes are in the area you need to supervise your pets particularly at night.

8 minutes ago, keith_h said:

Coyotes are just about everywhere. They are living and breeding in downtown Chicago. We have them in my neighborhood even though the NC Wildlife Resource Commission swears to me that they stopped at the county line about 7 miles from the house. Most will run away from humans unless you have a pet and they are actively hunting. I don't know if this is common across the country but out west they are known to send a female in heat out to lure male dogs back to the pack. So if you know coyotes are in the area you need to supervise your pets particularly at night.

I was just about to say the same.  We hear them all the time here in Charlotte. I have a game camera in my back yard and have gotten several pics. We have a big Golden Retriever who was going nuts one night when my husband was out on the porch. He went back with a flashlight on a retaining wall we have and saw a coyote. It wasn't scared of him or the dog. That is a little creepy to me but I read they are curious and it doesn't necessarily mean it had rabies.

49 minutes ago, CJHokie said:

I was just about to say the same.  We hear them all the time here in Charlotte. I have a game camera in my back yard and have gotten several pics. We have a big Golden Retriever who was going nuts one night when my husband was out on the porch. He went back with a flashlight on a retaining wall we have and saw a coyote. It wasn't scared of him or the dog. That is a little creepy to me but I read they are curious and it doesn't necessarily mean it had rabies.

Plenty of them down here in Clermont, FL.  See them crossing the street in my neighborhood. 

1 hour ago, keith_h said:

I don't know if this is common across the country but out west they are known to send a female in heat out to lure male dogs back to the pack. So if you know coyotes are in the area you need to supervise your pets particularly at night.

Friends of mine in upstate NY called their dogs in one night and one didn't come.  They turned on the spotlight and saw him "playing" with a bunch of young coyotes down on the edge of their yard along the treeline. Supposedly that's another tactic they use to lure dogs in.  Thankfully they did get their dog in the house unharmed, but the fence went up shortly after.

19 minutes ago, Odie said:

Has anyone heard if/when the resort boat traffic may be started back up?  I hear that only the large ferry boat is in operation at the moment due to this tragedy.

I believe all the transportation boats are running.

The recreational ones that customers pilot are not running.

Other boats piloted by Disney staff (fishing, fireworks, etc. are running also.

1 hour ago, parrothead7368 aka Norm said:

Could you guys start talking about money trees, because you started talking about coyotes and there was a report today of two in our neighborhood that attacked a dog. Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Norm

Seriously.

And I saw a thread on page 2 of one of these boards where someone was asking about alligators there. Very weird reading it after the attack.

2 hours ago, keith_h said:

If there was any connection with what is discussed on this board and reality Disney would have lowered their prices, give away ooey gooey cinnamon rolls and create the Fiends Pass that would let us jump in front of everyone (celebrities included). 

Truth.