13 Recipes for People Who Think They Hate Slow Cookers

Thanks to Buzz Feed for these ideas!  If I ever get any time, I am trying them!  lol

https://www.buzzfeed.com/h2/fbrh/lindsayhunt/13-ways-to-actually-become-someone-who-makes-food-in-the-slo?utm_term=.gvy4XVJVM#.werp5838E

FOOD

13 Recipes For People Who Think They Hate Slow Cookers

You’re about to fall in love.

You might think the slow cooker isn’t your thing. But I have news for you: If you like brownies, or pulled pork, or cinnamon rolls, or CHEESY POTATOES, the slow cooker IS for you.

Here are 13 reasons to become one of those annoying slow cooker obsessives.

I've used our crock pot for years to make mulled cider. I usually leave the rum and/or bourbon on the side so those that don't drink or are to young for alcohol can drink it too. The potatoes sound good and look like they will work well in the small crock pot we use when it is just the two of us.  The same for the meatballs.  

One recipe I haven't made for a while uses boneless chicken breasts wrapped in bacon, a can of cream of mushroom soup mixed with a 1/4 cup of sour cream and 1/4 cup of flour and 2 1/4 ounces of dried beef. Place dried beef on bottom. Put the bacon wrapped chicken on top and pour soup/sour cream mixture over all. Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours. The original recipe called for 6-8 boneless chicken breasts but we have found the recipe reduces well to smaller servings. We just freeze the excess soup for later use.

One of my favorite recipes is for french onion soup done in a crockpot - it's intensely rich and flavorful and aside from chopping some onions, super easy and no standing over the stove for ages carmelizing the onions.

• 2 pounds beef bones (marrow and/or soup bones - whatever you can get) 

• 4 tablespoons butter

• 6 large yellow onions (about 4 pounds), quartered and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices

• Salt and pepper

• 1 tablespoon brown sugar

• 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme (1/2 tsp if using dried)

• 5 tablespoons all purpose flour

• 3/4 cup dry sherry (I've used a dry white in a pinch)

• 1/4 cup soy sauce

• 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth (homemade if you have it)

• 2 cups low-sodium beef broth (homemade if you have it)

Note: If you don't have both kinds of broth, use 4 cups of whatever you have.

Roast bones in oven at 450° for 30 minutes.

Set slow cooker to high. Add butter, cover, and cook until melted. Add onions, 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, brown sugar, and thyme. Stir flour, sherry/wine, and soy sauce together in small bowl until smooth. Pour over onions and toss to coat. Tuck bones under onions around edge of slow cooker.

Cover and cook on high heat until onions are softened and deep golden brown, 10 to 12 hours. Cooked onions can be refrigerated in airtight container for 1 day.

To seve the soup, heat broth until just boiling and add onions. Heat through and season with salt and pepper to taste.

You can also make this vegetarian by leaving out the bones and using vegetable broth. Still good!

9 hours ago, keith_h said:

One recipe I haven't made for a while uses boneless chicken breasts wrapped in bacon, a can of cream of mushroom soup mixed with a 1/4 cup of sour cream and 1/4 cup of flour and 2 1/4 ounces of dried beef. Place dried beef on bottom. Put the bacon wrapped chicken on top and pour soup/sour cream mixture over all. Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours. The original recipe called for 6-8 boneless chicken breasts but we have found the recipe reduces well to smaller servings. We just freeze the excess soup for later use.

That sounds good but what does the bacon end up like?