Changes being made due to the alligator attack

Thanks to Kenny the Pirate for posting this.  Here are the changes that are going into effect right now as far as transportation and such.  Updates will become available when we get them.

http://www.kennythepirate.com/2016/06/16/changes-made-in-light-of-the-recent-alligator-attack-at-walt-disney-world/

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks to Kenny the Pirate for posting this.  Here are the changes that are going into effect right now as far as transportation and such.  Updates will become available when we get them. http://

They will have a major issue for the 4th of July fireworks if you can't view them from Clementines Beach. There are no other places at the Fort with a clear view. The docks aren't large enough to hold

This is a typical (not just for Disney) knee jerk reaction that is not thought out. PR flunkies are trying to do damage control.  Clear the beaches 1 hour before sunset, what a load of ....

18 minutes ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

What about #3 on the list:

"All water recreation departing from resorts, including boat rentals, is currently suspended pending review."

Does that include the boats to the MK and the Contemporary?

I think it means any fishing excursions etc and any boat rentals. To me the boats are water transportation, not recreation.

5 minutes ago, parrothead7368 aka Norm said:

I think it means any fishing excursions etc and any boat rentals. To me the boats are water transportation, not recreation.

That's what I think too, but I heard yesterday afternoon that, although the ferries were back in service, the resort transportation boats weren't.

I had wondered about the Jungle Cruise and Tik Tok Croc (although I didn't know his name,just had seen him in parade pictures). I'd forgotten about the Safari. I'd actually thought even about the Orlando massacre and the Great Movie Ride since I've gotten a little twinge of panic when the gangster appears with his gun. And then I started thinking about how when I was a kid, kids played cops and robbers/cowboys and Indians, etc. with no thought that they could be reflecting a real life scenario that could happen to them. I don't know about kids today. Are we more sensitive to this because of social media/media?  Can we ever go back.  I had an interesting discussion with myself. 

New info from WDWMagic, which typically gets its info right off The Hub...

Walt Disney World reopens resort beaches and recreational marinas

6 minutes ago

Walt Disney World Resort beaches are once again open to guests.

Crews have been installing temporary barriers and new signage on the beaches, and there are new restrictions on beach use.

Guests will be able to use the beach areas from sunrise to one hour before sunset, and they will be staffed by cast members.

Recreational marinas are also once again open, offering boat rentals and watersports.

Article Posted: Jun 23, 2016 / 11:50am EDT

http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/walt-disney-world-resorts-information/news/23jun2016-walt-disney-world-reopens-resort-beaches-and-recreational-marinas.htm

11 minutes ago, Memphis said:

So no more fireworks viewing from any of the beaches?  That stinks. 

Hadn't thought about that.  I'd imagine at the Fort you'll still be able to access the dock areas on either side of the marina building (and the main dock itself), but I guess we'll see.

I do wonder if they're going to keep people off the beach entirely at the Fort, or just block off a certain amount of space near the water? In other words - what about the tether ball area or the place down on Clementine's beach where people like to pull their carts to the end of the pavement?

They will have a major issue for the 4th of July fireworks if you can't view them from Clementines Beach. There are no other places at the Fort with a clear view. The docks aren't large enough to hold the nightly fireworks and EWP crowd.

And how much safer is the dock/gangway sticking out into the lake than then being 10 foot from the waters edge at the beach?

25 minutes ago, Travisma said:

They will have a major issue for the 4th of July fireworks if you can't view them from Clementines Beach. There are no other places at the Fort with a clear view. The docks aren't large enough to hold the nightly fireworks and EWP crowd.

And how much safer is the dock/gangway sticking out into the lake than then being 10 foot from the waters edge at the beach?

You are absolutely right.

This is going to be a major issue.

Clementine Beach is packed on the 4th of July.

So much so that they use the field behind Pioneer Hall for golf cart parking- and it usually fills up.

Where are all of those guests going to go?

TCD

10 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

You are absolutely right.

So much so that they use the field behind Pioneer Hall for golf cart parking- and it usually fills up.

Where are all of those guests going to go?

TCD

This is a typical (not just for Disney) knee jerk reaction that is not thought out.

PR flunkies are trying to do damage control.  Clear the beaches 1 hour before sunset, what a load of ....

Obviously whoever came up with this bright idea didn't consult with any wildlife experts, security, or crowd control experts.

The attack occurred in a quiet area and the child was IN THE WATER making noises/splashes like a normal gator food source.

I have never seen or heard of gators roaming the beaches of any Disney Resort, especially if you have a large crowd gathered, they are going to be far away.

If they keep everyone behind the barriers everyone will be safe, except of course when the loud drunks thinking they're funny begin yelling "I see a gator" at the top of their lungs causing a panic.

When did we become such a wimpy, whiny, nanny state where we can't take care of ourselves and we can't see an animated light show with a gator (or can't have a cup with a purple? monorail on it) because we might upset someone.

We would all be speaking German and Japanese if our parents and grandparents were so sensitive.

I guess the Monorail resorts will make special places so their guests can still view the nightly fireworks.  Who cares about the low life campers. Hey if you want to see fireworks spend the money and go to the MK!

What about the Aloha Luau?  Isn't that outside near the beach?  Are they going to have trappers standing by in case a rogue gator decide he wants to join in on the fun?

Rant Over...

I would think Disney has reasonable confidence that people up on the docks are safe, as you can't even reach into the water to do anything that might attract something dangerous with the way the dock is fenced off on the sides.

56 minutes ago, keith_h said:

I also wonder if this means they will have a security guard on duty all night to enforce the closer?

Sounds like it.

24 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I wonder if this means all the beach activities for holidays like the 4th are now moved or cancelled?

I guess we'll find out when the July activities calendar comes out.

I'd also have to think that they'll have to limit how crowded the docks can be during fireworks and EWP before it's a safety issue.  Never mind when HDDR lets out and the lines for the boats are really long.