• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

These aren't gator protective fences, these are anti-liability barriers. Disney is showing that they are protecting their guests by blocking access to the water and placing signs warning of dange

Oh, people will go past them, somehow get injured, and go after Disney. These are the same entitled people that don't wait in merge lanes, block aisles with their strollers and shopping carts, an

I am a little on the fence about this. I like that the fences are more like barriers and don't look like a eye sore, but part of me is also sad.  As a kid I swam and played in that water, as a dad I r

I thought the same thing when the pictures showed up on Twitter of the fences at GF. I think they look ok and no they won't keep the people who don't need rules out of the water and gators in, they provide a barrier. Now, what kind of rope did they use, I hate those rope splinters from dried out rope.

Best Regards,

Norm

These aren't gator protective fences, these are anti-liability barriers.

Disney is showing that they are protecting their guests by blocking access to the water and placing signs warning of dangerous wildlife and to stay out of the water.

Now if someone passes the barrier and gets injured for any reason Disney is protected.

Another site had mentioned that the same afternoon the barrier went up at GF,  people were already past it so they could take pictures.

17 minutes ago, AuburnJen said:

They are also the same type people who will go past the fences to feed the gators, but I digress.

Oh, people will go past them, somehow get injured, and go after Disney.

These are the same entitled people that don't wait in merge lanes, block aisles with their strollers and shopping carts, and generally think that the world revolves around them... sort of like the Kardashians or politicians.

But now Disney's lawyers have a lot of ammo defending the company. The people were warned and Disney did a "reasonable job" protecting them.

I'm surprised they didn't have stronger worded signs or some sort of barrier a long time ago.

Makes you wonder if they know something that is protecting them even if they didn't do the signs, etc.

These might be just to appease the public and the media.

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

Yep. But the reality is that these days there is no sign they could have put up that someone couldn't have claimed "oh, I didn't know it meant that..." This is about as clear a "Stay out of the water. period. full stop." message that Disney can possibly send.

12 minutes ago, Travisma said:

I'm surprised they didn't have stronger worded signs or some sort of barrier a long time ago.

Agreed.

6 minutes ago, Beckers said:

Unless Disney builds a solid wall a million feet high, someone will always find a way to go over, under, on, and then get hurt and sue. 

But Disney only has to make a reasonable attempt to keep people "safe" that the common person would understand.

There are always going to be idiots, that's why Disney has an entire building of lawyers.

2 hours ago, Travisma said:

Disney is showing that they are protecting their guests by blocking access to the water and placing signs warning of dangerous wildlife and to stay out of the water.

Now if someone passes the barrier and gets injured for any reason Disney is protected.

Agree - this is to say that Disney has done their "due diligence" to protect their guests.

1 hour ago, AuburnJen said:

They are also the same type people who will go past the fences to feed the gators, but I digress.

I agree with this too - because there's that great expression - "you can't teach stupid nothing"!!!!

I am a little on the fence about this. I like that the fences are more like barriers and don't look like a eye sore, but part of me is also sad.  As a kid I swam and played in that water, as a dad I ran around in the ankle to knee deep water playing with my kids in that water, and as a grandpa I hold my grand kids hands as we walked in the water to get our feet wet. 

In Florida if a piece of land is fenced, iy is the same as a no trespassing sign. Also if a field is under cultivation or use it is considered No Trespassing. I even have signs allowing the Law Enforcement to come on my property at anytime for any reason if they think something is not right. My grove is on a public road with no fence, but it is not open to the public. So legally, Disney can have you arrested for crossing that fence, don't think they would, but could ask you to leave property if they wish.

28 minutes ago, Beckers said:

every time you post Big Tom it makes me

want oranges. 

Come down when in season and I will load you up. We have several trees of speciality fruit Honeybells, red grapefruit, pink grapefruit, key limes, tangelos etc, just to give to friends. As well as guavas and bananas at times.

15 hours ago, MadCane said:

I am a little on the fence about this. I like that the fences are more like barriers and don't look like a eye sore, but part of me is also sad.  As a kid I swam and played in that water, as a dad I ran around in the ankle to knee deep water playing with my kids in that water, and as a grandpa I hold my grand kids hands as we walked in the water to get our feet wet. 

I'd wager there were a fair fewer numbers of Alligators in that lake when you were a kid out there from all accounts of the then endangered alligator population. It is kind of sad that some of the natural looking beauty has been lost in a way, but let's face it: Alligators are more prevalent on the water than they used to be.

I think this incident was a result of a sort of hand waving on the part of local Disney execs: "Everyone knows the dangers of Alligators in Florida." Does everyone that visits Disney World know this? Disney has gone out of their way to project an illusion of safety by incorporating beach areas around the Seven Seas Lagoon with their pool areas and lounge chairs in these beach areas, so I think it's natural for people to assume that there is no real threat. Is a "no swimming" sign equivalent to avoiding ALL water contact and/or an equivalent warning to "Beware of Alligators" sign? I don't think so. Would someone who fell asleep on the beach on a blanket or a lounge chair be completely safe? Hmmm. Anyways, when we were there about 3 weeks ago, we sat on our blanket watching the water pageant and the fireworks on the beach about 5' away from the water's edge (people kept standing in front of us anyway but I digress), and plenty of small kids were seen with parents within sight's distance splashing around in the water. Now, our family is informed enough to know that any body of water is a potential danger in Florida and we never get in the water with exception of the swimming holes around spring heads down there. However, I was blissfully unaware that we were still within danger being that close to water's edge, until I heard about the incident reported last week of the one kid about 30 years ago feeding ducks bread from dry land at Clementine's Beach and the Alligator lunging out of the water to get him and barely escaping with his life, and another of a British family that was attacked by a gator at the Polynesian just last month while waiting for the fireworks. Pass! With or without that sign or the fence, we'd be sitting a lot farther away from the water's edge in future.

The thing that's pretty surprising after all this to me is the reaction that some people have to this that the family is going to be gold digging over this or that Disney shouldn't pay handsomely for it.

as already discussed they are intended to keep people out of the water, just as the no swimming signs were.
now if you cross the fence line Disney has more of a leg to stand on saying we told you so....

Personally I don't think Disney or the parents are at fault, it was a horrible incident that a wild animal took part in.

If this happened at AK then it would be a different story, but this gator was not under the care of Disney, nor did it escape from any Disney park

I hope the family will not sue, and I hope Disney doesn't have to pay millions of dollars 
at the end of the day If i were on Disney's legal team, I  would argue the no swimming sign was ignored and it was a tragic accident.
Tons of people comment online the kid was not swimming, however by definition he was

Full Definition of swim

swam

play\ˈswam\ 

swum

play\ˈswəm\ 

swimming

1. intransitive verb
  2. 1a :  to propel oneself in water by natural means (as movements of the limbs, fins, or tail)b :  to play in the water (as at a beach or swimming pool)

3. 2:  to move with a motion like that of swimming :  glide <a cloud swam slowly across the moon>

4. 3a :  to float on a liquid :  not sinkb :  to surmount difficulties :  not go under <sink or swim, live or die, survive or perish — Daniel Webster>

5. 4:  to become immersed in or flooded with or as if with a liquid <potatoes swimming in gravy>

6. 5:  to have a floating or reeling appearance or sensation

33 minutes ago, swimmarz said:

as already discussed they are intended to keep people out of the water, just as the no swimming signs were.
now if you cross the fence line Disney has more of a leg to stand on saying we told you so....

Personally I don't think Disney or the parents are at fault, it was a horrible incident that a wild animal took part in.

If this happened at AK then it would be a different story, but this gator was not under the care of Disney, nor did it escape from any Disney park

I hope the family will not sue, and I hope Disney doesn't have to pay millions of dollars 
at the end of the day If i were on Disney's legal team, I  would argue the no swimming sign was ignored and it was a tragic accident.
Tons of people comment online the kid was not swimming, however by definition he was

Full Definition of swim

swam

play\ˈswam\ 

swum

play\ˈswəm\ 

swimming

1. intransitive verb
  2. 1a :  to propel oneself in water by natural means (as movements of the limbs, fins, or tail)b :  to play in the water (as at a beach or swimming pool)

3. 2:  to move with a motion like that of swimming :  glide <a cloud swam slowly across the moon>

4. 3a :  to float on a liquid :  not sinkb :  to surmount difficulties :  not go under <sink or swim, live or die, survive or perish — Daniel Webster>

5. 4:  to become immersed in or flooded with or as if with a liquid <potatoes swimming in gravy>

6. 5:  to have a floating or reeling appearance or sensation

Like I had mentioned earlier, do the Disney lawyers know something that gives them an out as far as just having the few No Swimming signs ?

The fence and new signage is to alleviate the public fears and the media frenzy.

I would guess that even if Disney has no liability, the family will be compensated somehow.

This is too big of a story to settle quietly and with a non disclosure.

I have done a little research on Disney and its legal issues, 
I would agree that the signage change, and people fence( not animal fence as 3 ropes wont prevent any animal) was mainly reaction to media coverage as well as further prove no swimming is allowed in the waters on Disney property 

I have read that the family has no intentions of filing  lawsuits, and due to Florida Law's Disney can actually settle with the family and keep it entirely out of any legal system via NDA's 
Disney could( and probably will) offer a settlement of $1 million, if the family refuses that Disney then has to wait for a counter offer, or a legal proceeding from the family before making another offer, again this is if what i read is correct as I am no lawyer.

I also found that a vast majority of lawsuits do settle out of court, in most instances for $15,000 or less
and someone ran the numbers, if you do decide to take Disney to court, no matter the issue, one would have a 4% chance of winning