What's even more amazing is look at the skyline, only one or two large resorts in the background.  I remember when I was a kid and driving to Orlando with my parents and seeing the Marriott Orlando World center.  This was one of the only large resorts and I thought it was a castle

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2016 at 8:34 AM, ImDownWithDisney said:

Wow that pic really takes me back to my early days at the Fort. It is just the way I remember it. That lake seemed so huge back then.

To this day i remember my first trip to WDW and remember boarding the boat and thinking it was going to take hours to cross the lake..  Great pictures everyone.

14 hours ago, Sakone1 said:

Any idea what year this was?

We have discussed this very map on this Board before.

My guess is that it's from 1971.  Note that what we later would know as Discovery Island is called Blackbeard's Island.  Also, there is no mention of Pioneer Hall or either Trading Post.  The check-in building is in the area we now know as the 4-way stop.

If you're interested, here's a link to where this was all kicked around already (click on the title to get to that old post) :

TCD