Disney Stops Fishing except on excursions

From The Orlando Sentinel 

"No fishing" signs have been erected at areas including Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa, the Fort Wilderness campground and Old Key West Resort. Fishing is now forbidden at Disney World unless it is part of an excursion.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-no-fishing-disney-world-alligator-attack-20160628-story.html

17 hours ago, Memphis said:

"No fishing signs have been erected at areas including Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa, the Fort Wilderness campground and Old Key West Resort. Fishing is now forbidden at Disney World unless it is part of an excursion.

This will make a LOT of people unhappy - we have friends who spend 6-8 weeks in the 1500 loop just so he can through a line in every day. 

14 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

What a ridiculous overreaction.

The death of that child was tragic, but it was the first and only time in the 44+ years WDW has been open that such a tragedy occurred.

Guests have been fishing in the Fort's canals for all that time.  Why change that now?

TCD

I agree it was very tragic and I can't and don't want to imagine what that family will go through for years. But to me the biggest overreaction is the removal of the crocodile from EWP. 

Although this may be the official rule, it does not appear to be getting enforced. Just came back from 3 days (Thur 6/30 to Sun 7/3) at the fort and although it looks like they went crazy EVERYWHERE with the new alligator/snake signs. I was very surprised to see little enforcement. There are multiple signs on both sides of the dock behind the Meadow trading post and I saw several families fishing from it. Also saw a guy fishing from a rental pontoon boat during a trip across to the Contemporary.

But I have to say, it is hard to go more then a few feet anywhere without running into one of those new signs. If there is water, there is a sign.

Just came back from the Fort yesterday.  There are the warning signs all along the canals and lakes at the majority of the resorts. These are the same signs that others have posted and what you get in your check in package.  We did not see any signs along any of the water edges at Saratoga Springs or along the pathway from the Grand Floridian to the MK.

At the Fort along the Meadow canals and bike barn pond they added a No Fishing sign above the warning sign. But, along the 1300 side of the canal (except for 1 right next to the pathway over the bridge) there are just warning signs, not no fishing signs.  I saw people fishing from there more than once during our stay.  Same thing along the canal alongside and behind 1500, and the canal/pond by the dog park, just warning signs, not No Fishing.  I didn't walk along the canal behind 1400, so I'm not sure what was there.