Copycat Dole Whip Recipe

Here is an easy cheater recipe.  You can also buy the mix on Amazon, but this is the "cheater" recipe.

http://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a46780/copycat-dole-pineapple-whip-recipe/

Copycat Dole Pineapple Whip

landscape-1460152622-delish-copycat-dole

INGREDIENTS

DIRECTIONS

1. Pulse all ingredients in a blender until combined.
  2. Pour into a loaf pan and leave in the freezer for at least 3 hours, or overnight. Scoop and serve immediately.

18 hours ago, bhall said:

Wait.  Does the real authentic recipe use coconut milk?  Anyone know for sure?

It doesn't appear to. Also, no bananas.  This is the ingredients list from the Dole website:

PINEAPPLE

Sugar, Dextrose, Stabilizers (Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Locust Bean Gum, Guar Gum, Karaya Gum, Pectin), Coconut Oil, Contains 2% Or Less Of Each Of The Following: Maltodextrin, Citric Acid, Natural & Artificial Flavor (contains Pineapple Juice Powder), Modified Food Starch, Malic Acid, Beta Carotene (Color), Mono & Diglycerides, Silicon Dioxide (Anticaking).

http://dolesoftserve.com/prod-info.cfm#ingredients

TCD

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

This is the ingredients list from the Dole website:

PINEAPPLE

Sugar, Dextrose, Stabilizers (Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Locust Bean Gum, Guar Gum, Karaya Gum, Pectin), Coconut Oil, Contains 2% Or Less Of Each Of The Following: Maltodextrin, Citric Acid, Natural & Artificial Flavor (contains Pineapple Juice Powder), Modified Food Starch, Malic Acid, Beta Carotene (Color), Mono & Diglycerides, Silicon Dioxide (Anticaking).

Which reinforces my theory that it's not actually food but a delicious space-age polymer. ;) 

8 minutes ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

WOW the "copycat" recipe sounds a whole lot healthier.

Except for the coconut milk part.  I'm allergic to coconuts. 

It looks like the original does have coconut oil (thanks for posting that TCD) so no Dole Whip for me ever....

13 minutes ago, bhall said:

Except for the coconut milk part.  I'm allergic to coconuts. 

It looks like the original does have coconut oil (thanks for posting that TCD) so no Dole Whip for me ever....

Wonder if the bananas are to make it thicker without all the weird stuff?

Sorry about the coconut allergy.  Have you had the Dole Whip or just lucky not to have eaten it?

Something else could substitute for the coconut milk.  Cow milk, soy milk, Almond milk...or leave it out and if too thick add water.

4 hours ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Wonder if the bananas are to make it thicker without all the weird stuff?

Sorry about the coconut allergy.  Have you had the Dole Whip or just lucky not to have eaten it?

Something else could substitute for the coconut milk.  Cow milk, soy milk, Almond milk...or leave it out and if too thick add water.

I've never had the Dole Whip.  Always wanted one.  It's a good thing I saw this thread.  I think I can try this with cow milk.

The coconut allergy is pretty recent.  I noticed it around 2010.  I also just recently became allergic to cherries.  Last year ate a cherry pie and about 10 minutes later, my throat started to constrict and my eyes became itchy, (just like with coconuts) and well I forgot about that happening until today.  At work, we had a cherry pie.  10 minutes later same issue as before.  I forgot all about it.  Loaded myself up with Benadryl to counter act it.  :(  

I understand what you are saying.  Over the years I've become allergic to some odors.  Can't go in a store with soaps or candles.

Today the DH and I were in a Harbor Freight store, had been in it about 15 minutes and we were in the check out lane.  I had said earlier that I wouldn't be able to work in that store because of the smells.  All of a sudden I had to shove the items I was holding into DH's hands and leave the store.  My throat and nose closed up, was coughing so badly almost threw up.  Did not have any allergy meds with me, but just getting out of there and breathing the AC air in the car helped.  But it was hours before my nose cleared.  Allergies are scary! 

Thanks for the reminder to pack some allergy meds in my purse again.

I've become allergic to alcohol.  1 drink with hard liquor and I will develop red blotches on my face.  2 beers, same thing.  Colognes and perfumes get me as well.  I also have trouble going into craft stores like Michaels as I had the same things happen to me as you did in Harbor Freight.  I've also noticed with the last month that working on my cars is starting to affect me.  Seems like 45 minutes into smelling one of the old cars I feel it.  Thankfully it hasn't got to me yet while driving them.  When that day comes, well we won't think of that yet.

8 hours ago, bhall said:

I've become allergic to alcohol.  1 drink with hard liquor and I will develop red blotches on my face.  2 beers, same thing.  Colognes and perfumes get me as well.  I also have trouble going into craft stores like Michaels as I had the same things happen to me as you did in Harbor Freight.  I've also noticed with the last month that working on my cars is starting to affect me.  Seems like 45 minutes into smelling one of the old cars I feel it.  Thankfully it hasn't got to me yet while driving them.  When that day comes, well we won't think of that yet.

I'm sorry to hear that bhall., that Harbor Freight event was downright scary.

I'm not much of  a drinker so the alcohol allergy wouldn't bother me, but the cherry one sure would.  Years ago I realized that the smell of eucalyptus when walking into Pier One or a similar store got to me quickly.  As a child my parents had me tested and that came up with allergies to cats, dogs, horses and dust.  I've lived with cats most of my life and seem to build an immunity to the ones I live with.  Also have two dogs in the house now.  And guess what!  Last 24 years of my working life I was a kennel person and then a mobile groomer.  When I was bitten by one of those pets, I needed to immediately wash the bite or it would swell up fast.  My own pets not so much, not that they bit me but sometimes I would get a scratch while playing with them.   

I need a better Dole whip recipe.  The last one I tried didn't work out.  As for allergies, I can't do red dye 40.  You wouldn't believe what all includes it!  This past week i found it in salted caramel icing.  I thought I had read the ingredient list.  Oh well.  Glad I had Benadryl (strike that - Waldryl.  I have a hard time finding dye free Benadryl so I shop at Walgreens a lot.)  Kudos to Disney for working with families with allergies.  Our last trip we went to one of the Japanese pavilion restaurants.  I had no idea about what it might be in there.  They talked to me about my allergy, how severe (or not in my case - really unpleasant but not life threatening so far) and then brought me an ingredient list for everything on their menu.  The two managers even came by several times and asked how I was doing.  

• 2 months later...
On 7/8/2016 at 10:23 PM, bhall said:

The last couple of times I tried to drink wine, it made me really flushed on my face. I can drink ciders though no problem. My eye dr and dermatologist say I probably have rosacea, and alcohol can be a trigger of that. 

Craft stores don't bother me, but I don't like to go into Bath & Body Works because I start sneezing and get congested right away. 

I have a multitude of allergies.  None are life threatening but we're severe enough to warrant allergy shots when younger.  I used to display some of the effects already discussed. Eyes, throat, nausea. I have not let it stop me.  I've eaten peanuts consistently over the last 30 or so years.  Now I show little or no effect.

• 1 month later...

You can just buy a bag of it... ;)

https://www.amazon.com/Pineapple-Dole-Serve-Cream-Large/dp/B01666JBFG/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1479494925&sr=1-1&keywords=dole+pineapple+soft+serve

This stuff keeps for a good while after opening the bag and you don't have to use it all at once. We've frozen it in our ice cream maker at home. The consistency is a little "grainier" due to it not being in a real soft-serve maker, but it's perfect otherwise.

54 minutes ago, geoffdaddy said:

You can just buy a bag of it... ;)

https://www.amazon.com/Pineapple-Dole-Serve-Cream-Large/dp/B01666JBFG/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1479494925&sr=1-1&keywords=dole+pineapple+soft+serve

This stuff keeps for a good while after opening the bag and you don't have to use it all at once. We've frozen it in our ice cream maker at home. The consistency is a little "grainier" due to it not being in a real soft-serve maker, but it's perfect otherwise.

I liked it much better before I could see the ingredient list.