I hate to see the fences go up around the canals at the Fort but it's not a dumb move on management's part. Other than keeping people a little further away from aquatic wildlife if also is keeping people away from the water and the potential of fall or getting it to swim. There have been none that I'm aware of but correct me if I'm wrong Disney has been very lucky especially at the Fort with no drownings in the canals on property.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When renting the alligator feeders, do you have to sign any sort of waiver or do they just give you the paddles and a shove?

We need answers, folks. I've also been curious about how far the Fence Frenzy has gone. I paid a visit to Twin #2 on Saturday, September 10, 2016.  We were going to meet up for a meal at Dis

LOL. If the Commissioner needs a fish to be picked up, Captain Awesome 7.3 will be there in a flash with his pliers!  TCD

None that I'm aware of.  The closest I know of was this idiot last year...

Deputies arrested a 27-year-old Ohio man early Monday after an apparent drunken night at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort.

Andrew Hall, of Mentor, Ohio, was arrested after being rescued by a Walt Disney World marine unit, which found him struggling to stay afloat in the middle of Bay Lake, according to an Orange County Sheriff's Office arrest report.

Before that, deputies said Hall was drinking at the resort's restaurant and attempted to leave on a bicycle, according to the report.

A manager at the restaurant said Hall had trouble staying balanced and fell numerous times, so the manager drove a golf cart to catch up and help.

When the manager got to Hall, he ran toward the cart, jumping and crashing through the plastic windshield, the report states.

Hall then got in the driver's seat and headed for Bay Lake, where he crashed into a pier, the manager told deputies. There, he jumped into the water and swam away until he started struggling, according to the report.

A Walt Disney World marine unit came to help, however, deputies said Hall yelled racial slurs and refused to get in the boat, the report states.

He then "dove below the surface beyond sight," the report states. When he came back up, Hall was going in and out of consciousness, gasping for breath, according to the report.

Deputies said someone from the marine unit jumped in, swam to him and pulled him into the boat.

Emergency medical crews met them on shore and took Hall to a local hospital, where he was treated and released.

He was then booked into the Orange County Jail on charges of disturbing the peace at a public lodging establishment, grand theft and criminal mischief, according to the report.

Deputies said the damage to the golf cart and pier cost about $5,000.

Hall is being held on $2,500 bail.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-disney-resort-golf-cart-crash-lake-20150519-story.html

The fence along the big canal is going to be a nightmare for the ground keepers.  Unless they kill the grass along the fence line that is going to be a lot of weed wacking. Won't that be nice to wake up to on the 1500 and 1800 loops. 

None that I'm aware of.  The closest I know of was this idiot last year...

Deputies arrested a 27-year-old Ohio man early Monday after an apparent drunken night at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort.

Andrew Hall, of Mentor, Ohio, was arrested after being rescued by a Walt Disney World marine unit, which found him struggling to stay afloat in the middle of Bay Lake, according to an Orange County Sheriff's Office arrest report.

Before that, deputies said Hall was drinking at the resort's restaurant and attempted to leave on a bicycle, according to the report.

A manager at the restaurant said Hall had trouble staying balanced and fell numerous times, so the manager drove a golf cart to catch up and help.

When the manager got to Hall, he ran toward the cart, jumping and crashing through the plastic windshield, the report states.

Hall then got in the driver's seat and headed for Bay Lake, where he crashed into a pier, the manager told deputies. There, he jumped into the water and swam away until he started struggling, according to the report.

A Walt Disney World marine unit came to help, however, deputies said Hall yelled racial slurs and refused to get in the boat, the report states.

He then "dove below the surface beyond sight," the report states. When he came back up, Hall was going in and out of consciousness, gasping for breath, according to the report.

Deputies said someone from the marine unit jumped in, swam to him and pulled him into the boat.

Emergency medical crews met them on shore and took Hall to a local hospital, where he was treated and released.

He was then booked into the Orange County Jail on charges of disturbing the peace at a public lodging establishment, grand theft and criminal mischief, according to the report.

Deputies said the damage to the golf cart and pier cost about $5,000.

Hall is being held on $2,500 bail.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-disney-resort-golf-cart-crash-lake-20150519-story.html

Oh I missed that one. Sounds like he had a special night.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

One unintended consequence of this will be to trap gators, deer, or other animals on the wrong side of the fence sometimes.

The fences will all have an end-point, and if an animal wanders around it they won't be able to easily escape back into the water when startled.

1 hour ago, DaveInTN said:

I think this has been mentioned before, but I don't understand fencing every waterway at the Fort to keep the humans and gators separated, but then renting the humans little, top heavy, capsize prone boats to paddle around those same waterways in.   

You don't understand?

Think, man.

How much do you reckon they rake in constantly renting those top heavy, capsize prone boats over and over again every day?

And you call yourself a beancounter.

TCD

5 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

I think this has been mentioned before, but I don't understand fencing every waterway at the Fort to keep the humans and gators separated, but then renting the humans little, top heavy, capsize prone boats to paddle around those same waterways in.   

When renting the alligator feeders, do you have to sign any sort of waiver or do they just give you the paddles and a shove?

9 hours ago, Helmsey......Todd said:

Sorry - spilling my tea I'm laughing so hard - why would they ask for a waiver for an alligator feeder - they let children drive the da## golf carts!!!

Love that expression - alligator feeder - brilliant!!!

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone interested, here's an update on the status of the fencing along the canal behind the 300 loop.

I checked on things on Saturday, August 13.

This sign is posted at the exit from the 300 loop.  I am not sure what trail it refers to.  Certainly it doesn't refer to the grassy dog walk area along the canal, does it?  I mean, that's not a trail:

8%2013%2016%20044_zpsbyngmowg.jpg

I figured that no one would mind if I took a quick peek back along the canal.  That isn't the trail.  Sure enough, they've got the rope and netting on the posts that we first saw in Starbuck71's photos:

8%2013%2016%20045_zpsztv9hqz1.jpg

The fence goes all the way up to the bridge, and past it too:

8%2013%2016%20046_zpsguppcgpg.jpg

You can see in this photo that the fencing goes as far as the eye can see.  At the far end, the fence turns to the right, and follows the canal that leads to the little pond near the 300 loop playground:

8%2013%2016%20047_zpszzbkh7ph.jpg

The fence is not right up on the canal bank.  In some places it is several feet away from the bank.  As far as I could see, there are no gates for landscape crews to use to access the grass/weeds between the fence and canal, and it looks like the weeds have not been whacked in a few weeks:

8%2013%2016%20048_zpsrduxwbva.jpg

8%2013%2016%20049_zpse5xasafy.jpg

On the other side of the bridge, the fence goes around the trees and stuff that was growing along the bank-  again, they didn't provide a gate to access this area.  I guess the landscapers are supposed to jump the fence, or just let what's on the other side of it go:

8%2013%2016%20050_zpskknoxqhq.jpg

8%2013%2016%20051_zpshof1n0jn.jpg

8%2013%2016%20052_zpsvskbq56l.jpg

8%2013%2016%20053_zpsxifz0egq.jpg

The fence goes from here all the way down toward the marina:

8%2013%2016%20054_zpsgy2fyypc.jpg

My favorite spot now is adorned with a fence:

8%2013%2016%20055_zpsdopa3q2g.jpg

8%2013%2016%20056_zpsunc85xps.jpg

It's crazy to me that they put in all of this fencing:

8%2013%2016%20057_zpsn04p83wv.jpg

I wonder if the BABH has any residents?:

8%2013%2016%20058_zpsx4f91oxd.jpg

The old cabin is still there, but I can't visit it anymore:

8%2013%2016%20059_zps3mcudsaw.jpg

8%2013%2016%20060_zps9cyzt65q.jpg

It's really only been about a month since all of this fencing has been installed.  And the weeds already are looking high:

8%2013%2016%20061_zpsukxji7b2.jpg

One thing that's dumb about all of this is that any hungry gator only needs to swim under the bridge and head up the ditch that runs along the back of the 300, 200 and 100 loops.  There's no fence along the banks there, and there's plenty of water and places to hide and wait for a snack:

8%2013%2016%20063_zps00yu1z5f.jpg

I guess I had better get used to the fencing.  It's going to be here for a while:

8%2013%2016%20064_zps9gsfnva9.jpg

Those yellow stripes they painted across the fronts of the 300 loop sites haven't done a whole lot of good:

8%2013%2016%20066_zpspae2mhtf.jpg

8%2013%2016%20067_zpsoploqgbr.jpg

That's all the fence photos I have for you.

I need to check on the situation at the pool some time.

TCD

Yeah, that canal and the dam (before it was fenced off) were popular spots for folks to fish.  That's an activity that was enjoyed for the entire almost 45 years that the Fort has been in existence.  I've never heard of anyone having a problem with a gator out there.  I've seen some small ones out that way, but only a couple of times in all of my visits.  Now that whole canal is closed to fishing. Very dumb.

TCD

Thanks for the updates TCD and Doug.

No more fishing along the 300 canal is a bummer.  I don't see why they couldn't still let people fish over the fences - it's not like they're 8' high. You could still pretty easily toss a line over. And hey, if a gator did come and snag your bait, you can drop your pole and still have a spiffy fence between you and him.

On the plus side I don't have to worry about a certain old dog getting any bright ideas about banging a left and taking a swim on our walks down there.  ;)

20 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

As of yesterday, the trail starting next to the Settlement Trading Post is now open.  The closed sign is now replaced with a "No Golf Carts" sign.  Didn't have time to walk back there, but hope to tonight or tomorrow.

Good to know!

Thanks for the update!

It seems that the fencing has stopped.  Have you seen any signs of it along the canals that border any of the campsites?

13 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Thanks for the updates TCD and Doug.

No more fishing along the 300 canal is a bummer.  I don't see why they couldn't still let people fish over the fences - it's not like they're 8' high. You could still pretty easily toss a line over. And hey, if a gator did come and snag your bait, you can drop your pole and still have a spiffy fence between you and him.

On the plus side I don't have to worry about a certain old dog getting any bright ideas about banging a left and taking a swim on our walks down there.  ;)

Yeah- you could fish over the fences.  But, it would be hard to actually land the fish and release it with that fence in the way. As far as I could see, they don't have the "No Fishing" version of the gator/snake signs posted there.

Good to know that the fence will be a good thing for your puppy (and you).

TCD

9 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

...it would be hard to actually land the fish and release it with that fence in the way. As far as I could see, they don't have the "No Fishing" version of the gator/snake signs posted there.

Good to know that the fence will be a good thing for your puppy (and you)

Fair point about landing/releasing a fish over the fence.  But if there aren't any signs up, I suppose folks could give it a try. Unless they just haven't gotten around to putting them up yet.

As for the upside for my one-track-mind dog... I'm shooting for that "glass half full" thing these days.  ;)

On August 16, 2016 at 2:21 PM, Travisma said:

We used to enjoy fishing down near the dam when we used the cabins, and since real camping again, we would try for a canal side site in 1500.  This is really disappointing that they are doing this.

Does anyone know if they have run the fence along the back of 1500 loop yet?