River Country Again

Hi All.  First Post, Long time lurker.  I thought the group might be interested in the following.  DW and I were having a discussion with a long-time cast member.  DW asks the CM, what are you going to do with River Country?   CM replies hush-hush talks ongoing with "your group".  CM knows we are DVC.  I replied old rumor, even saw the plans on-line.  CM states new plans being drawn up.  Also said FW may be expanded.  

Even though I trust the CM, I think this is only a rumor at this point.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Once again I had a chance to speak with the CM noted in the first post in this topic.  I am told DVC has dibs on the River Country area, but has not decided what to do with it yet.  CM states progress

I think there are two changes that could benefit the Fort for regular people... they are admittedly small things, but I think they could have a big impact:   1. Reduce the number of people a

Hi All.  First Post, Long time lurker.  I thought the group might be interested in the following.  DW and I were having a discussion with a long-time cast member.  DW asks the CM, what are you going t

3 hours ago, PghBob said:

Hi All.  First Post, Long time lurker.  I thought the group might be interested in the following.  DW and I were having a discussion with a long-time cast member.  DW asks the CM, what are you going to do with River Country?   CM replies hush-hush talks ongoing with "your group".  CM knows we are DVC.  I replied old rumor, even saw the plans on-line.  CM states new plans being drawn up.  Also said FW may be expanded.  

Even though I trust the CM, I think this is only a rumor at this point.

Nice rumor,  guess we will wait and see. Welcome.

I see it happening. I do not see it happening until at least the Wilderness Lodge is complete. More than likely it wouldn't happen until after part of Caribbean Beach is converted to DVC. I know that is in the beginning phase. I think it is supposed to go full steam int eh fall or winter.

Whatever, Disney can keep DVC. We had it and just sold. Biggest waste of money I ever had. It does save you money on rooms but they keep bumping the costs of tickets and such up that I really just don't have the love of going that much anymore. 

19 hours ago, hunter99 said:

I see it happening. I do not see it happening until at least the Wilderness Lodge is complete. More than likely it wouldn't happen until after part of Caribbean Beach is converted to DVC. I know that is in the beginning phase. I think it is supposed to go full steam int eh fall or winter.

Whatever, Disney can keep DVC. We had it and just sold. Biggest waste of money I ever had. It does save you money on rooms but they keep bumping the costs of tickets and such up that I really just don't have the love of going that much anymore. 

Caribbean Beach as a DVC? I thought one of the big draws is that they're all deluxe properties. 

20 hours ago, hunter99 said:

I agree about the way the costs at WDW keep going up but for the last few years we've been taking our DVC points and trading them into RCI - spent a month in Hawaii last year visiting four islands;  did the airfare with Air Miles (don't know what the US equivalent is) and all our accommodation on DVC points.  All we had to spend was our food and the car rental.  Probably one of the least expensive trips we've ever had. 

• 7 months later...

Once again I had a chance to speak with the CM noted in the first post in this topic.  I am told DVC has dibs on the River Country area, but has not decided what to do with it yet.  CM states progress being made with the decision.  Further, CM reported that "things" are being slowly removed from the site.  Sorry to re-surface an old topic.

9 hours ago, PghBob said:

Once again I had a chance to speak with the CM noted in the first post in this topic.  I am told DVC has dibs on the River Country area, but has not decided what to do with it yet.  CM states progress being made with the decision.  Further, CM reported that "things" are being slowly removed from the site.  Sorry to re-surface an old topic.

Thanks for posting what you heard.  It's probably only a matter of time.  I always thought one thing that has held DVC back is that there would be a lot more costs associated with building on the River Country site because they would have to add all the infrastructure to go with the new resort, unlike what we've seen done at the Contemporary, Polynesian, and Wilderness Lodge where they've been able to add on and take advantage of the parking lots, restaurants, and transportation options already in place.  But now we are seeing that they are tearing down perfectly good buildings at the Caribbean Beach resort, and spending money on a new transportation system (the gondola rumor), it looks like the return on investment makes them willing to spend whatever it takes to build more DVC rooms.

It's not if DVC is coming to the Fort.  It's when.

TCD

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Thanks for posting what you heard.  It's probably only a matter of time.  I always thought one thing that has held DVC back is that there would be a lot more costs associated with building on the River Country site because they would have to add all the infrastructure to go with the new resort, unlike what we've seen done at the Contemporary, Polynesian, and Wilderness Lodge where they've been able to add on and take advantage of the parking lots, restaurants, and transportation options already in place.  But now we are seeing that they are tearing down perfectly good buildings at the Caribbean Beach resort, and spending money on a new transportation system (the gondola rumor), it looks like the return on investment makes them willing to spend whatever it takes to build more DVC rooms.

It's not if DVC is coming to the Fort.  It's when.

TCD

Plus, we always scratched our heads because DVC's were either standalone, or part of a Deluxe resort.  Caribbean Beach changes that model.  I totally believe they will build that huge DVC resort at the Fort at some point.  I just wonder now whether they will include some lakefront cabins west of the main building, and tie them into the Copper Creek ones on the east side of the Lodge property.  One continuous row of cabins along the lake shore from the Lodge to the Fort.  Doesn't that sound fantastic?  No more ugly pristine lakeshore!  

10 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

Plus, we always scratched our heads because DVC's were either standalone, or part of a Deluxe resort.  Caribbean Beach changes that model.  I totally believe they will build that huge DVC resort at the Fort at some point.  I just wonder now whether they will include some lakefront cabins west of the main building, and tie them into the Copper Creek ones on the east side of the Lodge property.  One continuous row of cabins along the lake shore from the Lodge to the Fort.  Doesn't that sound fantastic?  No more ugly pristine lakeshore!  

Wow, that's a frightening thought. 

That would be a lot of cabins.  But, if they priced them right, there would definitely be a market for them.

I wonder if there will be demand for a whole new DVC resort?

I guess if Star Wars Land is a hit, there will be.

TCD

3 minutes ago, Travisma said:

I'm wondering if there is some sort of financial windfall for Disney if they add/build more DVC facilities and they aren't sold out year round?

Maybe some sort of tax break?

Or are they just that confidant that if they build it they will come?

Well if they sell all the units and the people don't come they definetly have a windfall.  For one they could rent them to non DVC owners.  And if they're empty they don't have to pay for the utilities that a guest would use.  And they wouldn't have to pay housekeeping to clean the rooms.  

3 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

Dear heaven I pray that you are wrong - that will look like H@@L

3 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

Ughh...

On 7/19/2016 at 8:52 PM, lightbikes said:

I agree about the way the costs at WDW keep going up but for the last few years we've been taking our DVC points and trading them into RCI - spent a month in Hawaii last year visiting four islands;  did the airfare with Air Miles (don't know what the US equivalent is) and all our accommodation on DVC points.  All we had to spend was our food and the car rental.  Probably one of the least expensive trips we've ever had. 

What is RCI?

2 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Ughh...

What is RCI?

RCI is a massive timeshare company (I think actually part of Wyndham resorts) that Disney points can be traded into.  So essential 140 to 170 DVC points converts to a a week in a timeshare that is part of the RCI inventory that Disney has indicates equals the same quality as their properties.  It usually costs $85 to do a swap but right now Disney is "waiving" the fee as part of their 25 year celebration.  

We figured out that the dollar for dollar value of switching into RCI was better than using the points for a Disney Cruise 

11 minutes ago, lightbikes said:

RCI is a massive timeshare company (I think actually part of Wyndham resorts) that Disney points can be traded into.  So essential 140 to 170 DVC points converts to a a week in a timeshare that is part of the RCI inventory that Disney has indicates equals the same quality as their properties.  It usually costs $85 to do a swap but right now Disney is "waiving" the fee as part of their 25 year celebration.  

We figured out that the dollar for dollar value of switching into RCI was better than using the points for a Disney Cruise 

Gotcha... 

11 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

I just wonder now whether they will include some lakefront cabins west of the main building, and tie them into the Copper Creek ones on the east side of the Lodge property.  One continuous row of cabins along the lake shore from the Lodge to the Fort.  Doesn't that sound fantastic?  No more ugly pristine lakeshore!  

I was thinking  the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I think by the time they even think of building a DVC at the fort , we will be done with camping.  We truly only go to the fort twice a year now for the kids. There was a time where I could make last minute reservations for a 3 day weekend at a good price , but those days are gone and the prices are just now insane. Once the DVC is built, I'm sure the prices will continue to rise. Such a shame the best campground around is turning into something that people just can't afford any longer.