We got home from camping last night and Tom found a nail in one of the TT tires.  He pulled the nail out (good sized nail) and we're watching to see if it looses pressure.  IF it doesn't loose air, are we safe to consider it safe?  Driving to Chattanooga this weekend (130 miles each way) and I'm a little nervous.

Thoughts??

2 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Do we need to put a "plug" in it?  

Only if it is leaking.  Otherwise, to put a plug in would mean that you are creating a hole through the tire belts that didn't exist before.  If it isn't leaking, you haven't gone through the belts and the puncture is superficial.  Even if the nail was long, it may have "grazed" the tire and therefore did not do much damage.

Now let me once more emphasize the importance of a tire pressure monitoring system.  In this case, it would give you reassurance during your trip as you would be constantly monitoring your tire during your trip. 

1 hour ago, ftwildernessguy said:

Now let me once more emphasize the importance of a tire pressure monitoring system.  In this case, it would give you reassurance during your trip as you would be constantly monitoring your tire during your trip. 

Excellent point

45 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

I checked with Larry.  He said to wrap the tire with Eternabond and not to worry about it.  

Haha... yep.  Eternabond fixes all :lol:

1 hour ago, djsamuel said:

Only if it is leaking.  Otherwise, to put a plug in would mean that you are creating a hole through the tire belts that didn't exist before.  If it isn't leaking, you haven't gone through the belts and the puncture is superficial.  Even if the nail was long, it may have "grazed" the tire and therefore did not do much damage.

Thanks.  That's what Tom though too.

20 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Sorry to hear that, update on if it's leaking?

Oh and welcome to my world, sometimes I think I have magnets in my tires!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Magnets?  Hmmm...

It doesn't look like it's leaking, but I'll know more today when I test the pressure.  We purchased a TPMS off Amazon and I'll hook it up today so... we'll see!

23 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Magnets attracting every nail in sight to my tires.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I know what you mean too.  Took my Miata for an oil change this week, and the mechanic found a piece of metal in one of my tires.  Required a plug.