This is an old rumor that resurfaces from time to time.

It has been discussed here many times, and there have been lengthy threads addressing it.  A couple of examples:

There apparently is something addressing this subject on an internal Disney site.

But that incorrect information has been floating around for years.

It has always been and is still OK to have a tent on a premium site at the Fort.

TCD

13 hours ago, MissyDisneyPin said:

You are welcome!

There is a lot of confusion and wrong information out there, but you can always come here for correct answers to your questions.

It would be a simple thing for Disney to print clear explanations of what is provided and what is allowed and not allowed on each level of campsite.  But, they just have never been able to do that.

When you posted your question, I checked the official Disney site to see if any new information was posted there.  Of course, I had to plug in dates for a proposed trip before I could even see a description of the campsites.  Here is what Disney tells potential guests about the different campsite categories:

fw%20campsites_zpsnwmi8fze.jpg

They start out pretty good with the description of the Tent or Pop-up Sites.  And the full hook-up site description isn't bad.  It tells you that RV's and tents are OK on those sites, and that you get a sewer hook-up.  But then look at the description for a preferred campsite.  Is an RV OK on those sites?  It doesn't say.  Apparently tents are OK, because they show one in the photo.  What about a sewer hook-up?  Doesn't say.  Then look at the Premium description.  It doesn't say anything about tents.  Does that mean they're not allowed?  Apparently, that's how some people interpret it, and I think that's where the persistent rumors come from.  It says some premium sites allow pets.  There's no mention of pets on the full hook up or preferred sites, but we all know that all of the full hook up sites are pet friendly, as is one of the preferred loops.

I think it's safe to say that the majority of people that Disney has answering their phones have never stepped foot on the grounds of Fort Wilderness.  All they know is what Disney provides on their computer monitors.  As you can see, Disney does a horrible job with that.

TCD

14 minutes ago, Seals said:

"Views of Woods" as one of two features of the Preferred sites, and only the Preferred sites, just cracks me up, especially since all the categories have photos with pictures of trees.  

LOL.  I didn't notice that.

It's a good thing they let us know that we will have a view of woods at a campground.

Maybe they're going to cut all the woods down on the other loops?

TCD

A bus driver told me that the Premium sites will soon only allow Prevost Class A's and sufficient foliage will be planted to block any views of poor campers who may have travel trailers or tents.