Raccoon Mountain RV Park in Chattanooga, TN

Stayed here this past weekend.  Reminded me of a KOA with many of the sites being very close together.  The sites were all pull-through and full hook-ups.   Prices are $36-$44/night plus tax (price depends on how long the site is).  Some have shade... a majority are in full sun.  There was a pool, playground, laundry room and a bathroom.  Showers looked clean.  Wifi was decent (for emails/web...not streaming).  We stayed at a KOA in Chattanooga two years ago; I preferred this property.  It was a bit more wide open and the location was better.  The RV park itself needs a little work (some paint and weed killer) however, I think they were recently bought out and in the process of doing this work.

This park also has caves, which were neat.  We did the 45 minute walking tour and the walk was slow and pretty easy. Just a couple of tricky steps.  You get a few dollars off for camping at their park, so our tickets (2 adults/2children) came to $45.  We also let the kids pan for gems and they shared one large back of dirt at a cost of just under $11.  They had several tent sites.  With a few being pretty nice.

www.raccoonmountain.com

IMG_2081_zpsari5cvnw.jpg

IMG_2083_zpsy2syo0qd.jpg

IMG_2084_zpszkli8ulv.jpg

IMG_2088_zpsjdqvhoxc.jpg

IMG_2082_zpsmz4fgv6b.jpg

30 minutes ago, Helmsey......Todd said:

Is this the campground that also has the go cart track attached to it?

They "use to".  What I mean by that, is the track is still there (as are the signs), but the grass was overgrown and it looked abandoned.

1 hour ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

This is a campground we've been interested in. They have good mountain biking trails too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would stay there again as there's not a lot available around Chattanooga.  They do not assign spots, which I don't care for.  Additionally, when we arrived the campground was 80% empty however, they did not want to let me move from the site they had "assigned" me as she explained that the others were assigned to guests coming in (never once was the campground more than 75% when we were there).  The gal at the office could not seem to understand moving us from spot #133, into spot #165 (for example) and then the guest from #165 into our spot (again... they were not fully occupied).  Thankfully, they have a few spots that they leave open for quick overnight stops as they are more narrow than the others, but we gladly took one of those as it was shaded.

22 minutes ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

That's odd.  The campgrounds here that don't have assigned sites are first-come-first-served.  Meaning you pick out the site that you want from what's open..  

That's been our experience too.  Either you reserve a specific site or you can take whatever is open.  The Fort is the only place that assigns you as you show up but...this place was not The Fort ^_^

Thanks for the timely post. I'll have to keep this campground in mind. Rene and I would like to get a trip to Chattanooga in sometime this fall so we can visit the railroad museum. I noticed they have some shaded sites, although we might not need them in October, what were they like? I know only a couple are full hookup but we would be fine with an electric/water site and dumping when we leave.

31 minutes ago, LONE-STAR said:

Every campground we have ever stayed at assign the site to you.

We are going camping Friday and the place lets you pick. During our stay last year we gave them our dates for this year and they gave us a list and we walked around and checked out the available sites and picked from that. 

11 hours ago, Beckers said:

But did you see a raccoon?

Haha... no ^_^

14 hours ago, keith_h said:

Thanks for the timely post. I'll have to keep this campground in mind. Rene and I would like to get a trip to Chattanooga in sometime this fall so we can visit the railroad museum. I noticed they have some shaded sites, although we might not need them in October, what were they like? I know only a couple are full hookup but we would be fine with an electric/water site and dumping when we leave.

There were only a few that were very shaded, the rest either had full sun or young trees that were pretty, but not a lot of shade.  I agree with you, in October, you'll probably be okay.  Only their small (basically a tent site) are without full hook-ups.  We were in a "premium" site as our trailer is 32', then we have our truck.  I saw a few 40' 5ers and Class A's at the property, also in premium sites.  Most of the sites are not terribly level, so prepare for that.  Ours was not horrible, but we did have to level it with one set of blocks. If we visit Chattanooga again, we will stay here.  Overall, it was a good stay.  The location into town is really nice.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2016 at 0:30 PM, caveat lector said:

Thanks for sharing. I love seeing other RV parks. The real question is, did the kids find enough gems while panning, to pay for the campsote?

Haha... I missed this one.  I wouldn't say that we made out, but they sure had fun with it :)   For us, it was worth the $11.