End of an era....the beach

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wouldn't you think that, with AK right on property and, I assume, someone on staff there with some familiarity with the native wildlife of Florida and their habits, at least one of those yellow vested

I meant to write tight pants, but that damn auto correct.....

So how long before they have to put up "please don't climb on the rocks" signs?

11 minutes ago, Travisma said:

That's a lot of neon vest standing around.

Are those big rocks, or yellow bags of stones?

They are really big rocks. One of the workers told the guy in front of us that they were doing it for erosion control. Seems like they are full of cover ups this trip.

Hard to believe we used to swim in the water and play at the beaches.  We were there for the 25th Anniversary of Disney World with my kids and they had a great time swimming.  Also, we honeymooned at the Contemporary and had a wing room that opened to the beach.  They even had a bar to serve the swimmers!!!

16 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I thought I was used to the bone-headed management decisions made by Disney.

But this just takes the cake.  What an incredible waste of money.

TCD

Again, this is a knee jerk, cover your butt reaction.

Disney is doing damage control and media propaganda showing that visitors are safe from all of the nasties FL has to throw at them.

It's a 3 step process,

1st step  stay out warning signs

2cd step, the wood post, rope barricades

3rd step the rocks

None are meant to stop the gators, rather they are to keep visitors out of the water.

Law department probably got their butts chewed out for not having warning signs in place before the tragedy, now they are going overboard.

Just now, keith_h said:

Is it just the picture or are the rocks painted yellow. It might be the reflection of all the yellow vests and pollution barrier but they look funny on my screen.

Sometimes depending where the rocks came from, they have  yellowish dirt/sand on them.  With a heavy rain or hosing they hopefully will look a grayish brown.

10 minutes ago, BayLake Campers said:

I see a lot of weeds and trees growing in a few years. An even better habitat for the alligators.

Excellent point.  They aren't going to be able to rake the beach.  Just take a look at what the shoreline of Discovery Island looks like.  I guess they can (and will) use herbicides.  Who cares about nature?

TCD

5 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Excellent point.  They aren't going to be able to rake the beach.  Just take a look at what the shoreline of Discovery Island looks like.  I guess they can (and will) use herbicides.  Who cares about nature?

TCD

They can use a vinegar and salt mix.  Hah!  I tried it at home and it was a waste of $ and time.

1 hour ago, rtguy007 said:

Well the rocks are in and the fence is going up. Still a lot of yellow vests standing around. Looks like a government job site to me.

04043d9933cd8c845908ad1bbaae1a8d.jpg

What? 

There was a fence there already. 

You mean they took the fence down to put in the rocks, and now they have to put it back up?

Definitely a government job.

12 minutes ago, Travisma said:

What? 

There was a fence there already. 

You mean they took the fence down to put in the rocks, and now they have to put it back up?

Definitely a government job.

You are seeing that correctly. The fence was down this morning and it was being put back up in the second pic.

10 hours ago, Travisma said:

Sometimes depending where the rocks came from, they have  yellowish dirt/sand on them.  With a heavy rain or hosing they hopefully will look a grayish brown.

That makes sense.

8 hours ago, Helmsey......Todd said:

and snakes. can't forget about the snakes.

No you can't forget about them and if the rocks attract water moccasins they can be quite aggressive if they feel threatened.  

Somebody on here probably knows a lot more about this than I do. I thought that snakes needed external heat to help their body Temps. Thus, provided it's not a pourous type rock (lava), that rock wall will retain a lot of heat from that beautiful Florida sun.  A natural snake magnet.

Wouldn't you think that, with AK right on property and, I assume, someone on staff there with some familiarity with the native wildlife of Florida and their habits, at least one of those yellow vested minions would be one of those experts and would be able to advise Disney re. This project and the relative effectiveness in deterring gators?  My guess is that, upon closer inspection, these are the same college aged geniuses you see everywhere carrying clipboards and traveling in tight packs around the property.

I meant to write tight pants, but that damn auto correct.....

17 hours ago, ftwildernessguy said:

deterring gators? 

They're not trying to deter gators but guest from the shoreline. As a former wildlife biologist, I have to assume DW has a very aggressive Nuisance Alligator Program that they are keeping out of the spotlight following Harambe the gorilla and Cecil the lion.

Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon's shoreline will return to a more natural setting, which are not sandy beaches but carpets of aquatic and other riparian vegetation. Due to the aesthetics and inaccessibility, I don't think many are going to appreciate it for the better.  

Haha! Maybe with all the erosion control efforts the Poly can reinstall their wave machine.

7 minutes ago, Tuke said:

Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon's shoreline will return to a more natural setting, .

Haha! Maybe with all the erosion control efforts the Poly can reinstall their wave machine.

They will have fun picking up all the trash that gets tossed in between the rock by careless visitors! 

That is the natural setting for most of FL!

I think they dismantled the wave machine a while back.