End of an era....the beach

2 hours ago, Travisma said:

That is the natural setting for most of FL!

I think they dismantled the wave machine a while back.

Groomed white sand beaches? No, it was both dredged from the lakes' bottom and trucked in. Also, photos from Bay Lake prior to Disney show mature vegetation to the shoreline. Some of the sediments seen around the lakes are remnants of the wave machines' damage to the Poly's original Beachcomber Beach that contained a many metric tons of white sand. It was Dick Nunis that pushed hard for what became the forgotten half million dollar boondoggle.

The wave machine comment was a joke as the machine only ran either a single day or a matter of a couple of weeks according to varying Disney employees' testimonies.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wouldn't you think that, with AK right on property and, I assume, someone on staff there with some familiarity with the native wildlife of Florida and their habits, at least one of those yellow vested

I meant to write tight pants, but that damn auto correct.....

So how long before they have to put up "please don't climb on the rocks" signs?

1 hour ago, Tuke said:

Groomed white sand beaches? No, it was both dredged from the lakes' bottom and trucked in. Also, photos from Bay Lake prior to Disney show mature vegetation to the shoreline. Some of the sediments seen around the lakes are remnants of the wave machines' damage to the Poly's original Beachcomber Beach that contained a many metric tons of white sand. It was Dick Nunis that pushed hard for what became the forgotten half million dollar boondoggle.

The wave machine comment was a joke as the machine only ran either a single day or a matter of a couple of weeks according to varying Disney employees' testimonies.

I remember seeing the wave machine in action on either a Merv Griffin or a Mike Douglas show being broadcast from the Poly beach.  That was a couple? of years after they opened, but they quickly realized the issues, and only used it for specials like that, and each night they had to replenish the beach.

If you're not older than your mid 50's you're probably wondering who the heck I'm talking about

2 minutes ago, Travisma said:

I remember seeing the wave machine in action on either a Merv Griffin or a Mike Douglas show being broadcast from the Poly beach.  That was a couple? of years after they opened, but they quickly realized the issues, and only used it for specials like that, and each night they had to replenish the beach.

If you're not older than your mid 50's you're probably wondering who the heck I'm talking about

LOL! That's really cool. I remember something about the fond memories made by the staff and executives during the wave machine's initial test runs. 

Like TCD had said in an earlier post, to keep the beaches looking neat and clean, they are going to have to use some sort of herbacides to keep vegetation from overgrowing all the rocks, and like I said, most people on vacation are slobs, and there's going to be a ton of trash that will need to be removed from between those rocks on a daily basis.

In my opinion, the bigger problem is that "guests" don't seem to need to take any responsibility for their own safety.  Common sense should come into play at some point.  No swimming means to stay out of the water.  I'm sure there will also be stay off the fence signs and stay off the rocks signs.  I guess that is what happens when we live in a lawsuit society.  It's always someone else's fault!!

45 minutes ago, disneylitch......Debbie said:

Totally unrelated to The Fort, but you need to use vinegar, Epsom salt, and Dawn (the original blue).  This worked great for me.

My wife swears by this combination and it seems to do the trick around our house, and it's much safer for the puppies.

Totally unrelated to The Fort, but you need to use vinegar, Epsom salt, and Dawn (the original blue).  This worked great for me.

This is what I just started using. So far seems to be working. I have noticed some of the bigger weeds need to be sprayed again. I have my fingers crossed for it to work, much cheaper than roundup and I'm not worried if the dog goes out and eats grass right after I spray.

I had read a cup of regular salt to a gallon of vinegar, how much epsom salt do you use?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

How can blocking the beach be the end of an era, lakes in Florida do not have sandy beaches as a rule. To have a sandy beach, you have to have wave action, most lakes have vegitation right down to the water and no beach. Let nature bring it back to normal, or just let grass grow and keep it mowed instead of sand.

I am 40 years old, and I can remember when Bay Lake was basically ringed with a white sand beach. Even way over across the lake to the right when standing on the pier was white sand. I always thought the white sand beaches on either side of the MK was pretty and added to the look. I guess it was in the late 90's or early 2000's it seemed that the beaches started being neglected. It is a shame. It sure did look good.

When we first started going to the Fort the beaches were open for swimming and the pool was not installed. The beach to the right of the dock was white sand all of the way to the canal. We definitely did not worry about gators back then.

On August 11, 2016 at 4:06 PM, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

This is what I just started using. So far seems to be working. I have noticed some of the bigger weeds need to be sprayed again. I have my fingers crossed for it to work, much cheaper than roundup and I'm not worried if the dog goes out and eats grass right after I spray.

I had read a cup of regular salt to a gallon of vinegar, how much epsom salt do you use?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Asked my wife.  She says 1 gallon white vinegar, 2 cups Epsom salts, 1/4 cup blue Dawn dishwashing soap.

On 8/9/2016 at 2:17 PM, rtguy007 said:

Well the rocks are in and the fence is going up. Still a lot of yellow vests standing around. Looks like a government job site to me.

04043d9933cd8c845908ad1bbaae1a8d.jpg

The extra vests are forming a human fence in case any crazed irresponsible campers see the fence down and try to break through to open water......

Looks like they have multiple layers of defense.  Where are they on Halloween or busy pool days when we need them?

I'm guessing that the next thing they will do to save us from ourselves (and save themselves from lawsuits) will be to install side guards on the water mice.

They will gladly rent you all the "water toys" you want, but for Gods sake DON'T TOUCH THE WATER!  

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, Humphrey Bear…Rob said:

How long until some fool gets hurt crossing the fence to rock hop....where there's a will (and stupidity to match) there's a way!  Shame...

My money is on this guy...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-disney-resort-golf-cart-crash-lake-20150519-story.html

2 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Did Dave give him some of his famous green beer or is there a new Kungaloosh recipe that I'm aware of....wow.

• 2 weeks later...