11 hours ago, Travisma said:

With all the cuts at the various parks, it doesn't seem like has hurt their bottom line.  And if some people don't come, others will fill the gaps.

I don't think a lot of folks would notice the difference. They go to WDW so infrequently they have no idea what entertainment they have other than maybe remembering something from when they were a kid and made that one family trip.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How do you like me now?: https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/10/once-upon-a-time-projection-show-begins-november-4/ ‘Once Upon A Time’ Projection Show Begins November 4 by Je

Could we be seeing the last of the MSEP?? http://www.chipandco.com/main-street-electrical-parade-closing-245798/

Confirmed. (But it runs until October 9) Main Street Electrical Parade Ends Run at Walt Disney World On October 9, Heads to Disneyland Resort for a Limited Time  https://disneyparks.disney.g

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 3:29 PM, Tri-Circle-D said:

OK-

Here's a new rumor that I haven't seen reported anywhere.

Let's see how good my source is.

There will be a new nighttime show at the MK.

It's a projection show along the lines of Celebrate the Magic.

But, this one will be different and allegedly more spectacular.

And will be narrated by Mrs. Potts and Chip of Beauty and The Beast Fame.

To start November 1.

TCD

How do you like me now?:

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/10/once-upon-a-time-projection-show-begins-november-4/

‘Once Upon A Time’ Projection Show Begins November 4

Jennifer Fickley-Baker

by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Editorial Content Manager, Walt Disney World Resort

Today we’re happy to announce that a new nighttime projection show, “Once Upon a Time,” will debut at Magic Kingdom Park on November 4.

In this new show, Mrs. Potts from “Beauty and the Beast” shares bedtime stories with Chip, taking them (and all of us) on a magical trip through the most adventurous scenes from favorite Disney films like “Cinderella,” “Peter Pan,” “Alice in Wonderland” and “The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.”

Scenes that are expected to be guest-favorites include a flight with Peter Pan from London to Never Land, the Mad Hatter’s whimsical tea party, and a daring duel between Gaston and Beast. Mrs. Potts and Chip end their bedtime story with a grand finale that includes appearances by characters from even more Disney films.

‘Once Upon A Time: Where Stories Take You Anywhere’ ‘Once Upon A Time: Where Stories Take You Anywhere’ ‘Once Upon A Time: Where Stories Take You Anywhere’

The show, which was inspired by one of a similar name at Tokyo Disneyland Park, uses projection mapping technology to cover every nook and cranny of Cinderella Castle in vibrant images that appear almost three-dimensional.

“Once Upon A Time” will replace the current “Celebrate the Magic” projection show, which will end its run on November 3. Check your My Disney Experience app for times and more information.

As far as I can tell, the ONLY place this new show was predicted was right here on Fort Fiends.

TCD

I loved the MSEP because it drew enough spectators to create shorter lines on the rides.  This projection show seems like the kind of thing you might watch if you happened to be walking through the Hub while it was going on....similar to the afternoon castle entertainment they do on the stage.  But I don't see it reducing wait times much.  

I give this news 4 Yawns on the DIT Boredom Scale.  

54 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

I loved the MSEP because it drew enough spectators to create shorter lines on the rides.  This projection show seems like the kind of thing you might watch if you happened to be walking through the Hub while it was going on....similar to the afternoon castle entertainment they do on the stage.  But I don't see it reducing wait times much.  

I give this news 4 Yawns on the DIT Boredom Scale.  

You are right on all counts.  Except maybe the walking through the Hub part.  I'm guessing the Hub will be pretty clogged up with everyone wanting to see the BRAND NEW show!

But, you also know that this is the way things have been done at WDW for the last few years- things disappear and are either not replaced at all or replaced by some lesser offering.

This is WDW management's response to removing the MSEP- Look everyone!  A BRAND NEW projection show!!!

We are not supposed to stop and think that there was already a projection show AND a night parade.  We are just supposed to be excited about this great new projection show.

TCD

I give it a solid meh.

I have to say that the Disneyland Forever projection show at DL ruined it for me. That was a great show and the projections went all the way from the castle down main street to the flagpole hub. This is boring.

I still hold out hope that the rumors about bringing Paint the Night to WDW are true.

There was a switch to laser projectors, so the fidelity of the projections should be much better than the previous show.  However, I never really thought of the previous show as anything more than a time filler before fireworks, and certainly not a replacement for the parade. 

• 1 month later...

MSEP Returns to Disneyland, starting January 20th. Where's our parade announcement for the Magic Kingdom? Who cares, we've got a tent city in Tomorrowland!

Get ready to celebrate the return of a Disney Parks icon! As we told you earlier this year, the Main Street Electrical Parade is coming back to the place it began – Disneyland park – for a limited time, beginning January 20. Whether you’re making new memories or reliving favorite moments, this is a homecoming celebration you’ll want to share with family and friends.

This encore performance at Disneyland park will run nightly until June 18 – that’s 45 years after it first lit up Main Street, U.S.A., in 1972! During this limited-time celebration, guests will also enjoy special merchandise and food offerings inspired by the Main Street Electrical Parade – we’ll have more to share on those very soon.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/12/main-street-electrical-parade-returns-to-disneyland-park-january-20/

7 minutes ago, shoreline99 said:

MSEP Returns to Disneyland, starting January 20th. Where's our parade announcement for the Magic Kingdom? Who cares, we've got a tent city in Tomorrowland!

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/12/main-street-electrical-parade-returns-to-disneyland-park-january-20/

Reading the Disney Parks Blog postings, it seems like there are a lot of new things/improvements, or holiday items that happen at DL and not at WDW.

35 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Reading the Disney Parks Blog postings, it seems like there are a lot of new things/improvements, or holiday items that happen at DL and not at WDW.

You would be amazed at what Disneyland has that we don't.

Here's one important fact- they have more shows and attractions in their two parks as we do in four at WDW. 

No joke.

Their restaurant and other food choices are varied and affordable compared to what is offered at WDW.

Their shows are top-notch, with real singers and dancers-not the lip synched shows that we have at WDW.

Disneyland's management is separate from WDW's and the difference in philosophies about how to operate their parks is huge.

WDW is the cash cow that Disney milks to prop up their other parks around the globe.

So of course, Disneyland gets two night-time parades and we get none.

TCD

36 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Yep. They had a lot of stuff updated or introduced for their 60th, and even though it seems like half the park is blocked off for the new SW land there is a lot going on there that we don't get here. Lots of live entertainment, ride overlays and seasonal theming that would never fly at WDW.

We get the Jingle Cruise but i can't think of any other ride that gets an overlay. Closing stuff down at WDW would be too much of a logistical nightmare for some, but I bet if they staggered it they could make it happen.

5 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

You would be amazed at what Disneyland has that we don't.

Here's one important fact- they have more shows and attractions in their two parks as we do in four at WDW. 

No joke.

Their restaurant and other food choices are varied and affordable compared to what is offered at WDW.

Their shows are top-notch, with real singers and dancers-not the lip synched shows that we have at WDW.

Disneyland's management is separate from WDW's and the difference in philosophies about how to operate their parks is huge.

WDW is the cash cow that Disney milks to prop up their other parks around the globe.

So of course, Disneyland gets two night-time parades and we get none.

TCD

I keep seeing all the Christmas items they add to Haunted Mansion like Jack Skellington.

I get a FB post about exclusive pins being released monthly at DL but not WDW.

Other postings

Celebrating the Twentieth Season of ‘it’s a small world’ Holiday at Disneyland Park

From Screen to Park: Haunted Mansion Holiday at Disneyland Park

December 2016 Disneyland Resort Merchandise Events

PHOTOS – Gingerbread House at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa at the Disneyland Resort

They get all that, we get a second rate Ice Cream Social that the bloggers are even dissing!

7 minutes ago, shoreline99 said:

We get the Jingle Cruise but i can't think of any other ride that gets an overlay.

And our version of the Jingle Cruise is far inferior to Disneyland's.

They easily have twice the decorations, and their skippers have entire new spiels that they recite.

We have a few wrapped packages and a couple of Santa hats,  and if you're lucky, your skipper will remember to tell a holiday joke or two.

Speaking of holiday offerings, they have a long Christmas parade that they perform every day for all guests.  The only way you get to see a Christmas parade at WDW is to buy a MVMCP ticket, or brave the crowds Christmas week (when a lot of passes are blocked out).

TCD

5 minutes ago, shoreline99 said:

Yep. They had a lot of stuff updated or introduced for their 60th, and even though it seems like half the park is blocked off for the new SW land there is a lot going on there that we don't get here. Lots of live entertainment, ride overlays and seasonal theming that would never fly at WDW.

We get the Jingle Cruise but i can't think of any other ride that gets an overlay. Closing stuff down at WDW would be too much of a logistical nightmare for some, but I bet if they staggered it they could make it happen.

If they can decorate just about the entire park overnight, they should be able to add items to rides fairly quick.

Maybe they would have to shut down a ride a little early one night and delay the opening the next day to noon, but they could do it if they wanted to.

Maybe the DL people are more critical if they don't get updates to the parks, whereas WDW patron just roll over and accept anything that's tossed to them.  And if 10 people get tired of the same old thing and don't come back, 100 will fill their shoes.

5 minutes ago, Travisma said:

They get all that, we get a second rate Ice Cream Social that the bloggers are even dissing!

Interesting that you mention that, it seems like even the most Pixie Dusted Mommy Bloggers have taken off the rose colored glasses these days. Lots of disinterest and general feelings of unhappiness with some of the recent moves - rivers of light, abracadaBAR, tomorrowland tent city, ice cream social, etc etc

2 minutes ago, Travisma said:

If they can decorate just about the entire park overnight, they should be able to add items to rides fairly quick.

Maybe they would have to shut down a ride a little early one night and delay the opening the next day to noon, but they could do it if they wanted to.

Maybe the DL people are more critical if they don't get updates to the parks, whereas WDW patron just roll over and accept anything that's tossed to them.  And if 10 people get tired of the same old thing and don't come back, 100 will fill their shoes.

I think they do the Jingle Cruise decorating overnight. If they don't, it sure looks like it.

Rolling over and accepting it is just part of it. There's a lot of people that hate change and crave nostalgia.

I think some of the differences also has to do with how the parks are supported. WDW is largely a worldwide destination and is supported by lots of out of towners. Yes there are the local Florida folks but by and large Disney uses them to even out the busy and off seasons. More so with the recent AP changes. Disneyland on the other hand is largely supported by SoCal locals. A bunch that is very critical and vocal about changes that don't fit their expectations.This makes the management ensure their expectations are met as much as possible in order to keep up the revenue. You'd think that Disney would also draw from Northern CA being a 4-5 hour drive or an hour flight but that never seemed to be the case. Folks up north would make trips but it was more of a special event. Much different from my perspective of what goes on in Florida where a WDW visit is more of a regular thing. 

• 1 month later...

I tell ya something else Disneyland has that we don't... not only do they decorate Haunted Mansion with special themeing for Christmas, they also decorate the crap out of It's A Small World too. It was pretty awesome to be honest when we got to see it. And they still have the superior paper fast pass system. ;)

It is a bit surprising. All I can think is that Disneyland is quite a lot older, and thus has had more time for the inital investment/payback/depreciation to no longer be a factor, so everything they spend on it at this point is gravy.