Transportation Survey

Just got an email thanking me for our recent visit (7/4) and asked me to take a transportation survey.

Has anyone else taken one?

Started out normal, age, income, how we got there.

Then asked if we used Disney transportation, and how wer rated it.

Then after a few more questions they sprung it on me.

They said if they offered a paid Disney transportation service would I use it.  You would pay for a service from your resort to another resort, or to a park or,off site.

I answered no, then they listed options and would any of these make me want to use it.  One fee for an entire day, semi private, private, etc..

Looks like,they want to alleviate taxis, uber, etc.

If it happens on Disney's property, they want to make a $$$ on it.

Remember, the tiered pricing started as a survey...

Very interesting.

You are absolutely right- a lot of things that sound like crazy ideas start as Disney surveys.

I think they could make a tidy profit operating an on demand/fee based transportation system.  The cynic in me makes me think that if they ever did this and revenue wasn't meeting expectations, it would be easy for them to drive business to that profit center by making some adjustments to the exiting transportation system.

Disney always wins.

TCD

16 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

it would be easy for them to drive business to that profit center by making some adjustments to the exiting transportation system.

Disney always wins.

TCD

Like making the bus wait times even longer!

I should have done screen shots of the questions, but in the if we did this would you be interested part they listed maybe 10 or 12 options, completely private, shared, direct from point A to B, one price for the entire day, flat fee to wherever on property, sliding scale (like mileage) fee, charging to your bands, paying before your arrival (package?), quick ride to dinner, getting to ride in decorated cars/vans, childrens safety seats.

I can see the 1% with their $1000 Hummer sized strollers jumping at the chance to take their little princess's in a Elsa and Anna decorated mini van and not having to schlep their stroller on a bus with the sweaty masses.

They are definitely looking at a wide variety of options and I feel that it'll be implemented sooner than later.

I told them they were crazy, that I pay enough to stay on property and wasn't going to pay extra for transportation.

Since I have to use an ECV, I would be willing to pay Disney for special transportation under certain circumstances.  On our upcoming trip we have early morning ADRs at Crystal Palace.  I'm not sure how we're gonna get there.  Does anyone know what time the ferry from TTC starts operating?  Or the monorail?

3 minutes ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

Since I have to use an ECV, I would be willing to pay Disney for special transportation under certain circumstances.  On our upcoming trip we have early morning ADRs at Crystal Palace.  I'm not sure how we're gonna get there.  Does anyone know what time the ferry from TTC starts operating?  Or the monorail?

Is your reservation pre-park opening?  Is that why you can't take the MK boat?

I don't know what time the ferries and monorails begin to run exactly, but I would think it's an hour before park opening.  But how are you going to get to the TTC?

TCD

1 hour ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I'd be up for some sort of viable (preferably free) resort-to-resort transportation option that doesn't involve the "2 bus shuffle" at Disney Springs.

The survey was all about fee based services once you got into it. 

The only thing they asked about free transportation was did you utilize it on your last visit, what did you use it for (they gave different choices) and how did you rate it.  Then they wanted to know why you gave it that rating.

Once you got past that they were all about paying for transportation

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Is your reservation pre-park opening?  Is that why you can't take the MK boat?

I don't know what time the ferries and monorails begin to run exactly, but I would think it's an hour before park opening.  But how are you going to get to the TTC?

TCD

Our reservation is for an hour before park opening.  We'll have a rental car, so we can drive to TTC.

8 minutes ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

Our reservation is for an hour before park opening.  We'll have a rental car, so we can drive to TTC.

OK.  I figured there was a reason you couldn't take the boat.

But, you're right- getting to MK an hour before opening with an ECV is a problem.  I don't think the TTC would work.

The WL bus is an option, but that would require you to load onto a bus at the Settlement and then onto another bus at the Lodge.

I've heard about early buses to the MK from the Outpost for guests with dining reservations.  I've never seen it in person, but I've heard about it.  It would be worth asking about when you're at the Fort. (I wouldn't trust a phone call for this information).

TCD

4 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

BTW, Mark, you scooped WDWMagic on this topic.  They posted a little blurb about it on their site 11 hours after you started this thread: http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/walt-disney-world-resorts-information/news/19aug2016-disney-considering-uber-like-guest-paid-transportation-service-around-walt-disney-world.htm

TCD

They got the gist of it...

They said a lot of survey ideas don't come to fruition, but if Disney can find another way to get a guests money that they are already giving to outsiders they will go for it.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a transportation fee so all guest end up having to pay something to use any Disney transportation. Not something I would like but would live with as I like parking my car and not having to drive it to get around WDW. Unfortunately I don't think it would result in any better service so would just be more greed on Disney's part.

36 minutes ago, Travisma said:

They got the gist of it...

They said a lot of survey ideas don't come to fruition, but if Disney can find another way to get a guests money that they are already giving to outsiders they will go for it.

There's a pretty good discussion thread going on over there.  A couple of points they made are good ones.  First, the only reason this is being discussed is that Disney sees how popular Uber has become as an alternative to their transportation system.  But, rather than fix the transportation system, and reduce or eliminate the need, they're looking to find a way to compete with Uber.  Second, they are going to have to be competitive with Uber's prices, or why would guests use this alternative?  What I think they're missing over there is that Disney might be looking for a way to shut down Uber.

33 minutes ago, keith_h said:

It wouldn't surprise me to see a transportation fee so all guest end up having to pay something to use any Disney transportation. Not something I would like but would live with as I like parking my car and not having to drive it to get around WDW. Unfortunately I don't think it would result in any better service so would just be more greed on Disney's part.

To heck with a transportation fee.  If they want to price gouge, they could charge everyone to park at the hotels.  Even passholders.  Universal does it.   People would squeal like stuck pigs.  But they'd pay.  That is a lot of free money they're leaving on the table.

TCD

28 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

There's a pretty good discussion thread going on over there.  A couple of points they made are good ones.  First, the only reason this is being discussed is that Disney sees how popular Uber has become as an alternative to their transportation system.  But, rather than fix the transportation system, and reduce or eliminate the need, they're looking to find a way to compete with Uber.  Second, they are going to have to be competitive with Uber's prices, or why would guests use this alternative?  What I think they're missing over there is that Disney might be looking for a way to shut down Uber.

To heck with a transportation fee.  If they want to price gouge, they could charge everyone to park at the hotels.  Even passholders.  Universal does it.   People would squeal like stuck pigs.  But they'd pay.  That is a lot of free money they're leaving on the table.

TCD

That may be the straw that breaks the camels back...

A lot of people put up with the higher resort prices for various reasons, one of which is not having to pay to park, like a lot of the off property hotels now charge.

And they can and will charge more than Uber and taxis for some of their offerings.... private door to door service, themed cars/vans (that was a survey question), licensed/bonded/insured drivers, a one charge for all day service.

They may have a more Uber like charge for the share a ride deal, but there are enough people out there that will blindly pay any amount if it's got Disney's name on it.

Heck, next thing you know, they will buy out an airline and brand it as Disney.  Start your vacation as you board your 727 in Peoria!

If they keep the transportation system exactly as it is now and add things like resort to resort, themed vehicles, private or even small on demand shared rides that would be great. There are times I'd pay a few dollars to get to another resort or a park easier. Times like leaving a park on a rainy day or being exhausted and just not feeling like waiting or cramming into a bus if it was as easy as scanning a magic band and getting a private maybe faster ride, I think a lot of people would use that. Or like the time they called me from the Fort saying a neighbor reported a strange noise coming from our trailer and were worried the ac might have quit working with the do inside. I would have happily taken a car that I could have paid with my MB back to the Fort instead of the monorail and boat from the poly, but I didn't have any cash or cards with me at the time to take a cab.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

o heck with a transportation fee.  If they want to price gouge, they could charge everyone to park at the hotels.  Even passholders.  Universal does it.   People would squeal like stuck pigs.  But they'd pay.  That is a lot of free money they're leaving on the table.

I wouldn't say to heck with it. Not only would guests have to pay but they could charge the locals who currently freeload. Adding a kiosk here or there to issue a pass would be pretty easy and then have them scanned along with MB's for guests to be able to catch a ride.

5 hours ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

You can take the bus from Settlement to Wilderness Lodge (or drive your ECV over to Wilderness Lodge on the path), then take the bus from Wilderness Lodge to MK. It is fully accessible and runs very early in the morning.

1 minute ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

You can take the bus from Settlement to Wilderness Lodge (or drive your ECV over to Wilderness Lodge on the path), then take the bus from Wilderness Lodge to MK. It is fully accessible and runs very early in the morning.

Thanks for the info, Carol.

2 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

I think that's about right. But I'm not sure as to why Disney has become so bold and focused in pushing the limits of guests' purse strings versus untying those purse strings through the offering of a better product and service? Yes, Universal does it but that is why Disney has been my choice for all these years. An expensive experience, you bet! But it's still that one stop shop that avoids the inconveniences of being nickel-ed and dimed for every last drop of fun. Of course, it appears this too is changing.

23 hours ago, Travisma said:

The survey was all about fee based services once you got into it. 

The only thing they asked about free transportation was did you utilize it on your last visit, what did you use it for (they gave different choices) and how did you rate it.  Then they wanted to know why you gave it that rating.

Once you got past that they were all about paying for transportation

I might be ok with some small fee resort-to-resort.  Maybe.  Even though we have a car with us, we drive less and less every trip.  And I like it that way.  :)

21 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

BTW, Mark, you scooped WDWMagic on this topic. 

Well done!!

21 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

I wouldn't be surprised if this does happen. But I wonder how much it would resort traffic for people (local or staying off property) that drive in just for dinner.  But it might also solve the problem of resort lots that fill up because people are leaving their cars there while they're at the parks.  Heck it might even solve the summer/weekend pool problem at the Fort.

18 hours ago, Tuke said:

I think that's about right. But I'm not sure as to why Disney has become so bold and focused in pushing the limits of guests' purse strings versus untying those purse strings through the offering of a better product and service?

I think it's how they can solve the problem of lower attendance - whether by natural cycles or them manipulating the attendance on purpose as they essentially said they've done recently with the continued increase in ticket prices.  Higher per-guest spending means even if attendance is down, revenue isn't.

It's also a quicker shot to the bottom line than investing in things that will bring guests in over the long term.  Spend 30 million on an expansion that will take 5 years and probably not pay for itself for a lot longer than that - or - parking fee that increases your bottom line starting now.

Disney has also been churning out tons of "add-on" stuff lately - just this week they announced a new premium level for the Backyard BBQ where you get early access and some additional perks... for a fee.  There are now lots more tours, special viewing parties, dinner packages... all things that don't really cost Disney much as they work off things that already exist (maybe just some marketing and staffing). And despite some really steep price tags in a few cases, people are snapping them up!

On the plus side, this stuff only effects people that want to cough up the extra $, not every guest that comes through the gates.  But that's a relatively small number of people.  Additional fees, even small ones... that's a money maker.

I think TCD also makes a good point also about money on the table.  Other resorts and parks have been charging for all these things for ages now. While people wouldn't like it if WDW started to also, folks are used to being nickel and dimed already. It would make sense (business-wise) if Disney jumped in on that action.

Traditionally people have gladly paid extra for Disney properties over off site because of the perks.

On site, free transportation, no resort fees, free parking, Disney Magic, etc.

I think most people know that some of the higher fees pay for these amenities even though they aren't listed on the bill.  Off site hotels show you a low room rate, then tack on those "mandatory fees".

Just like the Fort, if higher prices drive 1 person away, 10 will willingly take their place. 

Disney is now a huge money making machine being run as a very successful business.

I think the cost of free transportation is built into park ticket prices and to a lesser degree housing/campground fees.  It only "feels" free.  Further, I think the day is not too far off when you will need to scan your magic band to get on the various types of transportation.  It would keep the non-guests off the transportation.

After reading this thread, I had a flashback.  We always used the kennels with Mickey the Wonder Beagle.  Remember when there was a kennel at the Fort?  I do.  One of the best deals on property.  Once after a trip I got a survey about the kennels.  They asked such relevant questions as would I pay for character interactions with pets and story time.  I said no, but of course a significant number of morons said yes.  Jump ahead a few years and now we have Best Friends, Disney kennels are closed and even a basic day stay costs many times what a stay at the old kennels cost.