RUMOR: (CONFIRMED) Guardians of the Galaxy Coaster coming to Epcot

One more juicy rumor to kick off the day.  We've already seen reports that Ellen's Energy Adventure will be rethemed as a Guardians of the Galaxy attraction, but latest buzz is that this attraction will be a roller coaster of some sort.

From WDWNews Today...

Epcot’s “Guardians of the Galaxy” Ride will be a Roller Coaster Attraction

I wish I had better news, but it seems the replacement of the Universe of Energy at Epcot in favor of a “Guardians of the Galaxy” ride is indeed imminent. Today, we are finding out more about what exactly guests may find instead of a slow-moving ride through Dinosaurs and film clips when the blockbuster MARVEL property breaks into the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow (if that even still means that anymore).

Guardians of the Galaxy

Rumor has it that the Guardians of the Galaxy ride at Epcot will be a roller coaster attraction. This attraction would already be historic as it would be the first Future World attraction to break way from the fundamental “edutainment” theme the park has had for nearly 35 years now. However, it could now be an even more profound statement as it would be the very first roller coaster in the park’s history and only the 6th ride that could be categorized under “thrill”.

Apparently the ride would feature both elaborate scenes and a long roller coaster portion, very similar to the rumored plans for a Captain America roller coaster once-slated for the new land at Disney California Adventure. The existing Universe of Energy building and attraction would be demolished.

The one interesting wrinkle is that the words “MARVEL” nor “Guardians of the Galaxy” appear in any renderings of the attraction that exist so far. This is of course a product of the legal restrictions still in place on Walt Disney World by the parameters of the MARVEL/Universal Studios theme park deal.

Sources seem convinced that this attraction will be announced before the end of 2016, possibly by Bob Chapek at the upcoming Destination D event at Walt Disney World. With that being said, it does sound like the project has been approved and will be moving forward barring any unseen problems.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/08/epcots-guardians-galaxy-ride-will-roller-coaster-attraction/

I heard this same rumor from the TCD twins.  The added twist from them is that the ride vehicles and track will be similar to the TRON "light bikes" which debuted at Shanghai Disneyland in June.  If there's going to be a coaster in Epcot, them copying something that already exists and tweaking the theme seems plausible to me.  We've all seen that done before (e.g. the Radiator Springs Racer attraction is a tweak (and huge improvement) of Test Track.

TCD

13 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Makes sense to me!  It could also mean we don't have to wait 5 years for it.

Yeah right! 

1 hour ago, Littleolwoman.aka.Kristie said:

Interesting, but what in the world are they doing with Epcot? I wish they would give us a picture of where they see this park going over the next 10 years.

I agree.

People are up in arms about this, but who still rides this ride? It's tooooooooooooooooo long. 

Universe of Energy represents the roots of EPCOT Center, when people were actually expected to learn something.  Today, if a kid can't get the information via video format in under 5 minutes, it is time to move on.  Talking turtles and animatronic snowmen -  oh yeah, now we're talking progress!

I think the problem with having Future World be focused on, well, the Future...is that things change too bloody fast these days.

Crazypants "communicator" technology - check.  A new version comes out every 6 months.

Self driving cars you say?!?!?  Yeah, got that too.

Hovercraft - that'll never happen, right?!

http://cdn2.pcadvisor.co.uk/cmsdata/slideshow/3627914/hoverboard-main-image_thumb800.jpg

Ok so maybe we can work on that one a bit so that it doesn't burst into flames, but still...

I'm not what a "Future World" looks like these days when it seems like we're smack in the middle of "if you dream it... it'll be on Kickstarter in 9 months."

That said, I'd love to see some sort of plan for Epcot that doesn't involve turning everything into a character or movie-based attraction.  But given that most of what we see of "the future" IS in movies these days, that might be where things end up.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, article says this will be just the sixth attraction in Epcot's history to fall into the "thrill" category: Maelstrom, Test Track, Mission Space, Frozen, Soarin', Body Wars, and this. Maybe they don't consider Soarin' a thrill? I guess "Sum of all Thrills" didn't rank as an attraction, either?

Anyhow, I agree that the lack of theme at these theme parks is a little vexing to me, too. Pandora, Frozen, and now this?

We are among the few that actually still enjoy Ellen's Energy Adventure.  My son is a non-thrill seeker and is very disappointed that another of his favorites is being replaced by a roller coaster.  Our next trip to the Fort was not supposed to be until next summer, but we are jumping through financial and campsite availability hoops to get him to Florida for one last ride.

2 hours ago, Santa ... Shannon said:

Hmm, article says this will be just the sixth attraction in Epcot's history to fall into the "thrill" category: Maelstrom, Test Track, Mission Space, Frozen, Soarin', Body Wars, and this. Maybe they don't consider Soarin' a thrill? I guess "Sum of all Thrills" didn't rank as an attraction, either?

Anyhow, I agree that the lack of theme at these theme parks is a little vexing to me, too. Pandora, Frozen, and now this?

Star Tours would have come under the thrill rides more so than Soarin' to me. But yeah I thing their counts are off (or they're just too young to remember).

2 hours ago, kadancer said:

We are among the few that actually still enjoy Ellen's Energy Adventure.  My son is a non-thrill seeker and is very disappointed that another of his favorites is being replaced by a roller coaster.  Our next trip to the Fort was not supposed to be until next summer, but we are jumping through financial and campsite availability hoops to get him to Florida for one last ride.

It's hoakie,  it's air conditioned, and practically never a wait.  I dig it too.

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/28/2016 at 3:34 PM, kadancer said:

I actually kind of like this ride too. As a kid I remember the "dinosaur ride" at Epcot 

The confirmation is that there will be a replacement of Ellen's Energy, but it is a little different than originally speculated.  Here is what has been released.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/07/guardians-of-the-galaxy-ratatouille-attractions-coming-to-epcot/

rat2340987FI.jpg

‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ & ‘Ratatouille’ Attractions Coming to Epcot

Jennifer Fickley-Baker

by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Editorial Content Manager, Walt Disney World Resort

Epcot fans, rejoice! Plans were just unveiled at the D23 Expo that the park will receive not one, but two new attractions inspired by popular films.

guar0874324.jpg

guar2340498.jpg

First, a “Guardians of the Galaxy”-inspired attraction will be added to Future World, adhering to the original vision of Epcot’s Future World as the place to experience the excitement and adventure offered by space travel.

ptr349872.jpg

This is an addition we’re really looking forward to, as a “Guardians of the Galaxy” attraction – Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! – debuted at Disney California Adventure park earlier this year to rave reviews from guests. Epcot’s brand new E-ticket attraction will be based on the rockin’ and action-packed world of “Guardians of the Galaxy” and is the next step in how guests can encounter these characters at the Walt Disney World Resort. Epcot just may be the perfect place for a “Guardians”-inspired attraction as you can see in the photo above – Peter Quill (aka Star Lord) actually visited Epcot as a kid! (Note: This new attraction will replace the current Universe of Energy attraction, which will close August 13, 2017).

Second, a Disney•Pixar’s “Ratatouille”-inspired attraction will also be added to the France Pavilion in World Showcase. The attraction will expand the pavilion. Similar to the 4-D attraction Ratatouille: The Adventure that opened at the Walt Disney Studios Park in Paris in 2014, guests will be able to shrink to Remy’s size and scurry to safety in a dazzling chase across a kitchen with the sights, sounds and smells of Gusteau’s legendary Parisian restaurant.

According to Disney leaders, both attractions will open in time for the 50th anniversary of Walt Disney World Resort in 2021.

Please keep your eye on the Disney Parks Blog for updates as these attractions progress.

7 hours ago, Beckers said:

I'll forever say "Stupid Judy, Stupid Judy" in honor of Ellen's Universe. No one in my family (except my kids because they aren't allowed to say stupid ? ) can say Judy without saying "stupid Judy"

My son grew up thinking Stupid Judy was actually a name.  I am so glad he doesn't know anyone with that name.

• 2 months later...

Oooh!!  :)

CONFIRMED: Guardians of the Galaxy Ride at Epcot Will Be A Roller Coaster

October 2, 2017

As we have rumored on this site for some time, the Guardians of the Galaxy Ride coming to Epcot will indeed be a roller coaster attraction.
Image_WDW_Guardians-Interior-1200x545.jp
AT D23 EXPO 2017, DISNEY PARKS CHAIRMAN BOB CHAPEK ANNOUNCES E-TICKET GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY ATTRACTION COMING TO EPCOT — Looking ahead to the 50th Anniversary of Walt Disney World, Disney Parks Chairman Bob Chapek announced exciting plans across Epcot to realize the original vision of the park while making it more timeless and relevant than ever before, including a brand-new E-ticket attraction based on the rockin’ and action-packed world of Guardians of the Galaxy.

The Vice President of Epcot, Melissa Valiquette, confirmed that the attraction is a coaster to members of the media at the Epcot 35 celebration yesterday.

According to sources, the roller coaster will load guests in the former Universe of Energy attraction, launching guests through a tunnel into a 10-story tall show building. The coaster will reportedly be a first of its kind ride system, but it remains unclear how it will differ from a conventional ride.

The attraction will mark the very first roller coaster for Epcot in its 35 year history, the last remaining Disney Park on earth without one.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/10/confirmed-guardians-galaxy-ride-epcot-will-revolutionary-roller-coaster-rude/

17 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Wow, a 10 story tall show building? I wonder how tall the Rock N Rollercoaster building is?  Not near 10 stories I don't think.  Wait, how tall is a story?

I never thought about the fact that Epcot is the only Disney Park without a roller coaster.

TCD

31 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Wow, a 10 story tall show building? I wonder how tall the Rock N Rollercoaster building is?  Not near 10 stories I don't think.  Wait, how tall is a story?

I never thought about the fact that Epcot is the only Disney Park without a roller coaster.

TCD

A story is roughly 10 feet so... yeah, that's pretty darned tall!  Wikipedia says the height of RNRC is 86 feet - no idea how accurate that is, but that plus the building around it would probably put it in the same ballpark.

Just now, keith_h said:

I wonder if it will be something along the lines of the Harry Potter rides at Universal or closer to an updated Space Mountain?

Good question!  If it's inside a building and themed to the movie, I'm inclined to guess more like Harry Potter - actual ride + VR parts.

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

A story is typically 10 feet.