We are heading to the fort in just under 2 weeks. We have gotten a small 13 lb dog since we made the reservation.  We plan to leave the dog with family but we are all starting to regret not switching our reservation to a pet friendly loop. Is there any way to make it work to take her with us? No flaming necessary.  We don't want to break any rules, but we really would like to take our little Lilo with us.

Thanks! 

7 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Take the puppy.  Unless there have been major changes pets have been put on every loop. When you arrive just tell them you have the dog. 

Have fun.

Seriously?  I thought there were only 2 pet friendly loops! We are new to camping with a dog.   I would hate to get there and there be an issue.

4 minutes ago, Travisma said:

A lot of people that camp with dogs in PUPs recommend using a crate/cage when you are away from the site for an extended time just to ensure the dog doesn't try to go thru the canvas or do any other damage.

Yes.  We used one camping this summer.  We were really amazed that it worked so well traveling with a dog!

4 hours ago, VFLnSFD said:

Seriously?  I thought there were only 2 pet friendly loops! We are new to camping with a dog.   I would hate to get there and there be an issue.

Actually the reverse is true these days - most loops are "pet friendly" and as PP noted, in a pinch they'll put dogs in just about any loop.

4 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Actually the reverse is true these days - most loops are "pet friendly" and as PP noted, in a pinch they'll put dogs in just about any loop.

This is great news! Such a relief, too, because we are all heartbroken to not bring her with us!

Thanks for all the reassurance, everyone! 

9 minutes ago, caveat lector said:

Why not just call reservation desk and tell them you are bringing a pup?

I will if we decide to bring her! I was under the impression that pets weren't allowed at all levels and loops. I was really trying to learn if that was accurate/enforced. Now that I know I was wrong, I will bring our sweet girl out of the shadows!  Haha! 

Pets are welcome at the Fort and definitely tell them you have her with you. They will have you sign a pet release form and may or may not charge you 5.00 extra per day, but it is worth it. I have had them call to let us know that our trailer was making a strange noise, that it could be the ac and they were calling because we had a pet. If it had been the ac it would have been a lifesaver that they knew the dog was there and called. (Luckily it was only the exhaust fan)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 9:38 AM, VFLnSFD said:

And we are in a pop up but with AC.

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 9:39 AM, Katman1356...Jason said:

As long as there is AC in the Pop-up they allow them. 

This is a rule that keeps on changing.

The official rules used to say that it was OK to have a pet in any air conditioned camping unit.

But, the only currently published official rules currently clearly say pets are not allowed in pop-up campers or tents.

Q. How can I ensure a pet-friendly loop for my campsite at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort?
A. When booking your campsite, you may request a pet-friendly loop for an additional $5.00 per night.

If you make your reservations online, select the “Add” button in the “Room and Amenity Requests” section. You will then be able to request a pet-friendly loop.

Please note: Pets are not allowed in pop-up trailers or tents.

Learn more about The Campsites at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/rooms-packages/camping-pet-friendly/

That said, I've camped at the Fort in my pop-up camper with my dog many times.  I don't hide him, and it has never been questioned.  However, one of these days they could decided to enforce their rule, and I would have a problem.  For me, it's not a huge deal.  If I had to, I could run my dog back home or board him at the kennel. Those are not great options for someone traveling a long way or staying for longer than a weekend.

Just this past Memorial Day weekend, I was camped next to people that had a big dog in a tent on the 2000 loop- which as far as I can tell is not a pet loop.

I'll bet if you call the Fort front desk they will tell you that you can't have a dog in a pop-up camper.

But, I'll bet if you showed up with him, the Castmember in the check-in lane won't question it.

What a way to run a business.

TCD

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

This is a rule that keeps on changing.

The official rules used to say that it was OK to have a pet in any air conditioned camping unit.

But, the only currently published official rules currently clearly say pets are not allowed in pop-up campers or tents.

Q. How can I ensure a pet-friendly loop for my campsite at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort?
A. When booking your campsite, you may request a pet-friendly loop for an additional $5.00 per night.

If you make your reservations online, select the “Add” button in the “Room and Amenity Requests” section. You will then be able to request a pet-friendly loop.

Please note: Pets are not allowed in pop-up trailers or tents.

Learn more about The Campsites at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/rooms-packages/camping-pet-friendly/

That said, I've camped at the Fort in my pop-up camper with my dog many times.  I don't hide him, and it has never been questioned.  However, one of these days they could decided to enforce their rule, and I would have a problem.  For me, it's not a huge deal.  If I had to, I could run my dog back home or board him at the kennel. Those are not great options for someone traveling a long way or staying for longer than a weekend.

Just this past Memorial Day weekend, I was camped next to people that had a big dog in a tent on the 2000 loop- which as far as I can tell is not a pet loop.

I'll bet if you call the Fort front desk they will tell you that you can't have a dog in a pop-up camper.

But, I'll bet if you showed up with him, the Castmember in the check-in lane won't question it.

What a way to run a business.

TCD

Yup, I've seen dogs in tents and PUPs numerous times.

A lawyer definitely wrote up the majority of Disney's rules and regulations paperwork, they left so much in the gray areas and contradict about 90% of everything written.

• 1 month later...

I started going to Disney in 1972 and the Fort since 74, they are all "pet loops". If you ever went inside the old kennel at the Fort, your pet stayed in a pet crate and you were responsible for walking them. They had a couple of pet run options but they kept them for large dogs. So most everyone kept their pet hidden at their site (including me). For bathroom breaks I would put them in my car and drive out to the Outpost and walk them.

My friend left her very much a princess puppy, Charley, at Best Friends Kennel and Charley had a great time there.  She would leave her there again and I would not hesitate to leave my new fur baby there any time.  I found the place very clean and the staff very friendly and wonderful with the animals that stayed there.

16 hours ago, caveat lector said:

Has everybody had good experience with Best Friends Kennel?  While my little furry family members do well staying in the RV, I'm thinking it might be an exciting adventure for a day or 2 visit.

We have only used them once- and the TCD dog, Rocky, was only there for a few hours while we attended the Hoop Dee Doo Revue.  I was impressed by everything about Best Friends, and Rocky liked it too.

A couple of things to know: 

1. They encourage you to make a reservation.  Since they are the only operating kennel on property, it's possible that they could be full and not able to accommodate you without a reservation.

2. They require proof of vaccinations, in writing, before they will board your pet.  I don't recall which one it was, but one of the things they require is not something that our veterinarian thinks is necessary, so we had to get that taken care of before we arrived.  So, even if you think you are up to date on shots, you may not have all the vaccinations that Best Friends requires:

We require proof of vaccinations for all of our dog and cat guests. Dogs must also have a negative fecal. Dogs must be current on Rabies, DHPPv/DA2PPv (distemper, hepatitis, parainfluenza, parvovirus) and Bordetella. Cats must be current on Rabies and FVRCP (Feline Rhinotracheitis Virus, Calicivirus, Panleukopenia).

http://www.bestfriendspetcare.com/waltdisneyworldresort/services-rates/boarding/

TCD

26 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

2. They require proof of vaccinations, in writing, before they will board your pet.  I don't recall which one it was, but one of the things they require is not something that our veterinarian thinks is necessary, so we had to get that taken care of before we arrived. 

My guess would be the Bordatella - aka Kennel Cough.  It's not something your dog typically needs unless he's around a bunch of other random dogs. It's not unusual for a boarding kennels to require it.

25 minutes ago, southernview -- Ray said:

Can someone tell me why the $5.00 charge?  Is that $5.00 per dog? 

It's $5 per campsite per night- for all the pets at the campsite.  Not per pet.

I'm sure that the rationalization for the charge is to cover the cost of poop bags and extra clean-up,  But, let's be real- it's a money grab.  If half of the sites at the Fort have pets, that's another $2000 a night of revenue that they rake in.  That little $5 a night charge could easily bring in $700K a year in extra revenue.  They could buy designer poop bags and still laugh all the way to the bank.

Disney always wins.

TCD