Hello all Fort Fiends. I am sure my question has been asked a thousand times and that the answers are as many as the people answering and it is all personal opinion anyway, but here goes. My wife and I and our dog will be traveling to FW in September, 2017, arriving after Labor Day. What is the best preferred site for a 38 foot class A with three slides and with satellite exposure to the South. All opinions will be appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

What TCD said. We were in 327 with a 26' TT in July 2015 and it was super tight. Your rig is considerably larger than mine. We actually stayed there before the new yellow lines were painted to "widen" the road and we were still cramped for space. If you can, I recommend upgrading to a premium site and requesting the 600 loop. The 600 loop is really the only loop that would allow good satellite exposure.

This is precisely why the 3000 loop exists.

15 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

You would have a lot more options in a premium site. With a preferred site and a dog, you only have one loop-300 to work with. And the sites on that loop are notoriously tight.

TCD  

Agree 100%.  I've seen people with rigs this size make a few attempts to get in to a preferred loop site and after a few tries at orienting the camper in the site (or even backing into an inside site), give up and make the switch to premium. 

I would make the change.  The premium sites will give you a much better experience. 

Or, as stated above, contact ftwildernessguy for a spot in the 3000 loop. Apparently, very exclusive.:lol:

To help you visualize what it might be like on the 300 loop, here are a couple of photos I took earlier this month.

Note that management painted yellow stripes at the front of the 300 loop campsites to try to encourage guests to park back in their sites so there is more room to maneuver around the loop.  But, that yellow paint is only a suggestion, and management doesn't make folks move.  So you end up with stuff like this:

8%2013%2016%20066_zpspae2mhtf.jpg

8%2013%2016%20067_zpsoploqgbr.jpg

Imagine that you were assigned one of the sites along the part of the loop shown in that second photo, and you had to back into a site with all of those obstructions in your way.

Could you do it?

Maybe.

Would you want to deal with that hassle?

TCD

Welcome Downeyr!

We generally stay in 300 and what others have said is pretty much on the money.  There are some sites in 300 that you'll technically fit into - generally along the outside starting around site 335-ish - but it's getting into them that can be a challenge in this loop, even when there aren't cars parked all over the place, and on a weekend (especially a holiday weekend) there often are.  We've seen people do it, and we've seen people squash trash cans and not be able to put their awnings out.

There are videos of all the camping loops (incl 300) and the Fort Fiends app has pics, measurements and specs of all sites that may help.  You can find links to both here...

We tried to book a premium (2 sites) but no availability. We went with a preferred so we wouldn't have to rent a golf cart (Dad can't walk all the way back to 1800, our loop of choice). We are bringing our furbaby so it looks like 300 is our only option. Are we making a mistake?? 

Rig 1 - 38' Fifth Wheel with 10' patio off the back, 2 slides, Sierra 2500 HD
Rig 2 - 38' Class A, 3 slides

The sites in the 300 loop are 45 - 50 feet deep for the most part, and 15 feet wide.  The fifth wheel with the deck will really be tight with little to no room for the truck.  If the slides are on both sides of the camper, you may be a bit tight on the width.  As you can see in the pictures posted above, the biggest issue is maneuvering through the loops.  The premium loops are much better suited to big rigs.  I would say that even the full hook up loops are easier to navigate than the preferred loops as the turns are not as sharp and the loops bigger.  The only advantage to the preferred loops (which I like) is location. 

20 hours ago, djsamuel said:

The sites in the 300 loop are 45 - 50 feet deep for the most part, and 15 feet wide.  ...As you can see in the pictures posted above, the biggest issue is maneuvering through the loops.  ... I would say that even the full hook up loops are easier to navigate than the preferred loops as the turns are not as sharp and the loops bigger.  The only advantage to the preferred loops (which I like) is location. 

Stick to the outside sites in 300 - the inside ones tend to be a good bit shorter.  If you can manage to snag something between about 335 and 350-ish, they're along the straighter part of the loop and tend to be decent-sized and a bit easier to maneuver... when there aren't cars parked all over the place.

13 hours ago, katethegreat24 said:

Thanks djsamuel ! I guess I'll just put hubby's and dad's parking skills to the test. Maybe we'll have a contest - anyone want to be a judge? :P 

I'll bring the popcorn!  LOL

Good luck!  We've seen some pretty fancy maneuvering in that loop.  Practice up and bring your patience and persistence.  ;)

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Downeyr said:

My bad; I really did mean to put "premium" site. Thanks a lot for the responses so far.

D'oh.

That makes a big difference.

There are 430 premium sites, and well over 50% of them are pet friendly.

Will you have a golf cart?  Do you plan on visiting the dog park often?   Those are two of many factors that could influence your loop choice.

TCD