I heard a rumor that there is work going on in the old River Country area today.  Specifically removal or filling of the old pool that collects stagnant water.  This work is not related to anything new being built there, but to take away mosquito breeding areas in light of the current Zika virus scare.

Do we have any Fiends on the scene who can corroborate?

TCD

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't for the life of me imagine a scenario where they would ever reuse that pool.   They're never going to reopen a water park there, and if they ever build a DVC resort, that pool is so outdated i

Confirmation photo via the ForgottenDisneyWorld Instagram account.     Cody

Who needs Captain Awesome when we have The Phantom of Florida on the job? This Phantom guy has a new Instagram account, and a new drone, and he captured and posted these images: In

23 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I heard a rumor that there is work going on in the old River Country area today.  Specifically removal or filling of the old pool that collects stagnant water.  This work is not related to anything new being built there, but to take away mosquito breeding areas in light of the current Zika virus scare.

Do we have any Fiends on the scene who can corroborate?

TCD

Where's the drone blogger when you need him!

We rode the boat past River Country yesterday.  I did notice a couple of boats docked there and some people walking around.  It was enough activity to make me wonder if something was happening.  We extended our stay at the Fort until Saturday, so if I get a chance, I'll try to take a look.

6 hours ago, Beckers said:

Interesting. It would make sense to do. I don't understand why they'd ever leave stuff that could encourage mosquitos to breed. 

Well they built the Bat house so they wouldn't have to worry about it.

Keeping  my Fingers Crossed they are breathing life back into Fort Wilderness Junction!!

Fort Wilderness Junction

Fort Wilderness Junction (also referred to as the Buffalo Junction Resort) was to be a 600-room hotel at the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida between Fort Wilderness and Disney's Wilderness Lodge.[1]

Plans for the hotel were announced by the Walt Disney Company as part of the "Disney Decade," an ambitious plan by the company to significantly expand and develop its theme park and resort properties in the 1990s. The hotel would have been similar to the Boardwalk area near Epcot, but themed to the Old West, with horses on sawdust-strewn streets, and would have a copy of the Buffalo Bill Wild West Show from Disneyland Paris.

In response to a national economic recession in 1992, Fort Wilderness Junction and several other "Disney Decade" projects were postponed indefinitely.

1 hour ago, bdm said:

Keeping  my Fingers Crossed they are breathing life back into Fort Wilderness Junction!!

Fort Wilderness Junction

Fort Wilderness Junction (also referred to as the Buffalo Junction Resort) was to be a 600-room hotel at the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida between Fort Wilderness and Disney's Wilderness Lodge.[1]

Plans for the hotel were announced by the Walt Disney Company as part of the "Disney Decade," an ambitious plan by the company to significantly expand and develop its theme park and resort properties in the 1990s. The hotel would have been similar to the Boardwalk area near Epcot, but themed to the Old West, with horses on sawdust-strewn streets, and would have a copy of the Buffalo Bill Wild West Show from Disneyland Paris.

In response to a national economic recession in 1992, Fort Wilderness Junction and several other "Disney Decade" projects were postponed indefinitely.

20 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

Well they built the Bat house so they wouldn't have to worry about it.

?

I've never understood why it sat there in the first place...glad to see that (maybe) something good will come from that yucky virus.  Sad that it takes tragic (or potentially tragic) for Disney to act in certain cases.  

18 hours ago, Beckers said:

Silly me, how could I forget about that.

we actually considered building a bat house but once I started looking into how picky bats are I said forget it. 

What are they picky about??

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-disney-world-river-country-20160825-story.html

From today's Orlando Sentinel. "Disney said it has no immediate plans to tear down any other remaining parts of the park, some of which can be seen from Bay Lake. Disney said the work had been planned for a while now."

Cody

10 hours ago, FunFinder265....Cody said:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-disney-world-river-country-20160825-story.html

From today's Orlando Sentinel. "Disney said it has no immediate plans to tear down any other remaining parts of the park, some of which can be seen from Bay Lake. Disney said the work had been planned for a while now."

Cody

Yup, this story is making the rounds around the usual places.

It was reported on this blog: http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/08/disney-fill-abandoned-river-country-pool/

But I still haven't seen any photos of the actual work being done.

Like I said, if I was there, I'd go and see for myself.

And post some photos.

It looks like that's what's going to have to happen.

TCD

6 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Yup, this story is making the rounds around the usual places.

It was reported on this blog: http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/08/disney-fill-abandoned-river-country-pool/

But I still haven't seen any photos of the actual work being done.

Like I said, if I was there, I'd go and see for myself.

And post some photos.

TCD

You're not on the road yet?......:lol:

38 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

... if I was there, I'd go and see for myself.

And post some photos.

TCD

30 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

You're not on the road yet?......:lol:

I pictured TCD fidgeting in his chair in front of the computer with his car keys in his hand.  ;)

3 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I know.

I have a preexisting commitment to visit with DD#1 in Miami this weekend, Zika and Tropical Storm and all.

But if no one posts photos of the bulldozed pool, I'll get there next weekend and take care of it.

TCD

And that's why we know we can always count on you!  http://www.clipartbest.com/cliparts/MiL/qEA/MiLqEAMia.gif

17 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

What are they picky about??

Too much sun, too much shade, sun at the wrong time, not close enough to water, too many branches, too hot, to close to this, too close too that, wrong materials, seriously they are some picky little buggers!

1 hour ago, Beckers said:

Too much sun, too much shade, sun at the wrong time, not close enough to water, too many branches, too hot, to close to this, too close too that, wrong materials, seriously they are some picky little buggers!

Wow!  Had no idea...

3 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I pictured TCD fidgeting in his chair in front of the computer with his car keys in his hand.  ;)

And that's why we know we can always count on you!  http://www.clipartbest.com/cliparts/MiL/qEA/MiLqEAMia.gif

We need a "TCD" Bat-signal to shine in the skies over the Fort whenever he is needed..... :ph34r:

(A Big-A** Bat Signal! Awesome!  I think I just tied 3 different threads together  LOL! )

We need a "TCD" Bat-signal to shine in the skies over the Fort whenever he is needed..... [emoji185]

(A Big-A** Bat Signal! Awesome!  I think I just tied 3 different threads together  LOL! )

Could mount the TCD B.A.B.S. on top of the BABH

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk