This thread has really started some good discussions..  

As i posted in another thread my wife has told me its time to start looking at a new camper something with bunk room for the family.  All of my research has showed that most bunk rooms 5ers are going to be 2500lbs+ hitch weight.  More than what my current truck is comfortable loading.  So the talk is do we replace our 2012 RAM with 130,000 miles on it with a new truck.  I've been looking and I'm not 100% sold on a new diesel truck.  Most of our travel is north and south on 75, year there are some mountains in Southern Ky and Tenn but a gasser will climb them just find, I've seen it done.  

As for the idea of a sub 3 liter motor towing 10k lbs...  In my world theirs no replacement for displacement.

1 hour ago, bdm said:

This thread has really started some good discussions..  

As i posted in another thread my wife has told me its time to start looking at a new camper something with bunk room for the family.  All of my research has showed that most bunk rooms 5ers are going to be 2500lbs+ hitch weight.  More than what my current truck is comfortable loading.  So the talk is do we replace our 2012 RAM with 130,000 miles on it with a new truck.  I've been looking and I'm not 100% sold on a new diesel truck.  Most of our travel is north and south on 75, year there are some mountains in Southern Ky and Tenn but a gasser will climb them just find, I've seen it done.  

As for the idea of a sub 3 liter motor towing 10k lbs...  In my world theirs no replacement for displacement.

My 2016 ram 3500 srw 4x4 mega cab diesel  (that was a mouth full) has a payload capacity just over 4000 pounds. My 2012 f350 was 3200 pounds.

The 2017 superduty sounds impressive but I really like having a mega cab. I really wanted ford to make a version of one, but they didn't so I bought a ram. I have a 08 f350 with a v10 for a work truck and I do pull heavy loads with it, but it doesn't çompare to my personal truck with a diesel.

13 hours ago, bdm said:

The 2.7L is not rated for towing 10K lbs. The highest weight for all models based on the Ford towing guide would be 8500 lbs with heavy duty towing and payload packages. Of course the realistic max tow capacity is less than this for most people. If someone were to want to tow that much weight with an F-150 they would have to move up to the 5.0L V8 (max just over 10K lbs) or higher rated 3.5L EcoBoost.