Disney's latest attempt at Zika prevention

Disney is now giving out Cutter mosquito spray to hotel guests at check in as part of their mosquito prevention program. They also have stations set up at Disney Springs and the parks for guests to give themselves a spray. I wonder if we will get the same treatment upon check in at The Fort?

Station set up at Disney Springs

8e64b567c6eab70a9770337d87fd0a97.jpg

Package handed out at the resorts.

96a1ebf3700165d68c0947ad08393ffe.jpg

Photo credit: The World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy page on Facebook

Cody

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Disney is now giving out Cutter mosquito spray to hotel guests at check in as part of their mosquito prevention program. They also have stations set up at Disney Springs and the parks for guests to gi

Well now that everyone is armed with their free can of bug spray, problem solved!  I've heard reports (unsubstantiated) of people cancelling trips because of fears over Zika.  This makes me wonde

Good to know, thanks for the update. We will be sure and pack plenty of our own for the trip in Oct. Our youngest daughter is a mosquito magnet (more so than me) and at any given time can have 15 -

They probably figure why spend the money as campers already have all that stuff with them.

I believe those are Cutter's DEET based sprays which I don't like. I prefer Picaridin which isn't greasy and from my experience does a better job of repelling ticks. I've had ticks walk across DEET treated areas of my legs but have yet to see one since I've started using Picaridin.

41 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Interesting.

I recall a time, about 15 or more years ago, when they temporarily stopped the nightly campfire at the Fort because of concerns over the spread of the West Nile Virus.

I wonder if we will eventually get to that point with Zika?

TCD

Well now that everyone is armed with their free can of bug spray, problem solved!  ;)

I've heard reports (unsubstantiated) of people cancelling trips because of fears over Zika.  This makes me wonder if there was some truth to them and Disney is trying to stem the tide of cancellations.

I wonder how quickly the sponsorship with Cutter came together?  Hmm... is Cutter a publicly traded company? (runs off to buy stock)

If I was pregnant I think I'd really have to think about going. I know it hasn't been in Orlando, yet, but I think my nerves would be shot if I was pregnant and got bit in FL. 

Someone was was saying they wonder if the storms/depressions churning in the Atlantic could end up pushing the mosquitos one way or the another.

8 minutes ago, Beckers said:

If I was pregnant I think I'd really have to think about going. I know it hasn't be in Orlando, yet, but I think my nerves would be shot if I was pregnant and got bit in FL. 

I can see that being a real concern.

8 minutes ago, Beckers said:

Someone was was saying they wonder if the storms/depressions churning in the Atlantic could end up pushing the mosquitos one way or the another.

Unfortunately if those storms bring a lot of rain, that alone may make things worse.  I'd imagine Disney is going to be even more on top of pumping out extra standing water at the Fort than they usually are.

I saw a picture floating around earlier tonight of a can of OFF! brand spray next to that information card. I assume there is some kind of business/sponsorship deal going on, unless this was an over night decision and they went to the local Costco/BJs/SAMs and bought the inventory. We'll be there September 22nd, so I'll see if we get one.

Cody

28 minutes ago, Beckers said:

I know it hasn't be in Orlando, yet,

Yet is the operative word.

It's been found in the county where I live, which is about 250 miles northwest of Miami, and about 80 miles due west of WDW.

All it takes is a mosquito hitchhiking in a car from and infected area.  Or for an infected person to visit.

It's only a matter of time.

TCD

I remember visiting Marty several years ago when she had her kids camping at the fort.  The mosquitos at her campsite were awful.  It must have been a rainy time of year.  Wonder what WDW will do to prevent that problem.  And if they are able to prevent it now, it will be much nicer camping in the future for everyone.

7 hours ago, Beckers said:

If I was pregnant I think I'd really have to think about going. I know it hasn't been in Orlando, yet, but I think my nerves would be shot if I was pregnant and got bit in FL. 

I have a friend that is pregnant whose husband won a trip to Miami from his employer.  They said, thanks, but no.  Her doctor also told her that men carry Zika for two years and that if they were planning to have any other children in the next two years, he should not go either.

17 hours ago, BigTom said:

Why would anyone want to go to Miami anyway, we try to stay aeay from that area if we can.

There are parts of Miami that are very nice.

I was just there visiting my oldest DD this past weekend.  We went to dinner at a place in the Wynwood district, which is one of the areas where they have found the Zika virus.  The Zika scare sure wasn't keeping folks away from there.

TCD

An update posted just today by WDW News Today of areas in the parks where Guests can also get their hands on some bug spray...

Mosquito prevention kiosk with complimentary repellent

I found two of the complimentary bug repellent locations during my rainy night visit to Epcot. This first one is on the bridge from China to the Refreshment Outpost.

Another was spotted near the Agent P sign-up kiosk between Future World and World Showcase.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/08/photo-report-epcot-83116-haunted-mansion-mosquito-prevention-new-stairs-etc/

Gotta say as much as I get eaten alive when I'm in FL (it's like they know I'm coming), I don't think I've ever been bitten by a mosquito inside the parks. 

On 8/29/2016 at 10:09 AM, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Well now that everyone is armed with their free can of bug spray, problem solved!  ;)

I've heard reports (unsubstantiated) of people cancelling trips because of fears over Zika.  This makes me wonder if there was some truth to them and Disney is trying to stem the tide of cancellations.

I wonder how quickly the sponsorship with Cutter came together?  Hmm... is Cutter a publicly traded company? (runs off to buy stock)

The wife and I have put on hold a DCL cruse out of the Bahamas and decided not to go down to FL for our 10year anniversary celebration since we have not made the final decision on closing up the baby bakery.

We too have postponed cruising and Disney World trips, because we'll be having a new baby in January! 

I read an article today about how it looks like Zika is not the cause of the microcephaly in Brazil, it pointed to a couple studies going on, but on the flip side there are tons of stories about how its just going to get worse.  At this point who knows what to trust.

My personal opinion is if I can avoid the potential risk I'm going to avoid it.  It's not worth taking a chance.

Are there concerns with Zika and infants?  I've had trouble finding that information. 

WBI

Congrats Nick!!

One of the scariest things about Zika is how new information seems to keep dribbling out in bits and pieces.  It doesn't seem like we have a complete understanding of all that's involved yet, or what all the risks and complications are. I can definitely understand not taking a chance if what we do know so far might apply to your family plans.