Savannah - SHOULD WE STAY OR SHOULD WE GO?

For those of you who have been...any suggestions on what is a "must see"?   We're going over Labor Day and our kiddos are 4 and 9.  We don't want to spend a lot of money.  We do have plans to go to the UGA Aquarium (yes... I know Kelly, but we're taking your suggestion ;) ) and the Fort Pulaski National Monument.   We are considering the Tybee Island Lighthouse, but not sure as it's pretty pricey ($32 for us to walk up the lighthouse...also includes a small museum, but that may be tough to enjoy with our little ones).

Love to hear any feedback! We're staying at Skidaway Island State Park.

Tybee Island was my favorite part of our trip to Savannah, mainly because of our dinner at The Crab Shack "where the elite eat in their bare feet". Mrs TN22 would probably say the history walks downtown were her favorite, and our kids favorite were visiting all the candy shops in the downtown square area. This has been several years ago but we look forward to going back soon.

Haven't been in years but a carriage ride around the historic district might be I nice way to see some of the squares and stuff without wearing the kids or yall out with to much walking. Probably not high on the list of things to do with the kids but there are several pretty cemeteries to stroll though. It's been years since I was there so can't really name anything. We did a lot of window shopping though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

They have a small train and city museum, next door to each other, that aren't very expensive. There is also a visitors center in the city museum. We parked there for free and walked around the city but they also have a free bus service for tourists that you can use to get around the historic area. From the bus stops it is only a block or two down to  River St and other places. If you are into micro-brews the Moon River Brewery has a decent selection of beers and the food wasn't too bad either. Need to run but I will look up the names of a couple of other places we saw last time we were down there.

19 hours ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

I'd think climbing the lighthouse might be too much for your little one.  Whenever I go to Savannah I always visit River Street.

The only thing I would NOT recommend is eating the buffet at Paul Deen's restaurant (The Lady and Sons).

Good thought on the stairs, thank you.

18 hours ago, TN22.....Brady said:

Tybee Island was my favorite part of our trip to Savannah, mainly because of our dinner at The Crab Shack "where the elite eat in their bare feet". Mrs TN22 would probably say the history walks downtown were her favorite, and our kids favorite were visiting all the candy shops in the downtown square area. This has been several years ago but we look forward to going back soon.

Thanks Brady!  How the heck are you?  Any plans for y'all to come back to Stone Mountain??  We have a few more reservations slated there for this year :) 

17 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Haven't been in years but a carriage ride around the historic district might be I nice way to see some of the squares and stuff without wearing the kids or yall out with to much walking. Probably not high on the list of things to do with the kids but there are several pretty cemeteries to stroll though. It's been years since I was there so can't really name anything. We did a lot of window shopping though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Carriage ride is a neat idea!

15 hours ago, keith_h said:

They have a small train and city museum, next door to each other, that aren't very expensive. There is also a visitors center in the city museum. We parked there for free and walked around the city but they also have a free bus service for tourists that you can use to get around the historic area. From the bus stops it is only a block or two down to  River St and other places. If you are into micro-brews the Moon River Brewery has a decent selection of beers and the food wasn't too bad either. Need to run but I will look up the names of a couple of other places we saw last time we were down there.

Awesome, thanks!

Okay... so, not appreciating the storm coming in :wacko:

Original plans were to leave our house tomorrow by 6a, which should get us to the CG between 10a-11a.  Now it looks like that travel time will put us in the middle of a ton of rain and wind.  

We could leave tonight around 6p, which would put us in Savannah around 11p... which means we will be at a CG for the rain and wind.

So, opinions on if we should leave tonight or tomorrow morning??

I wouldn't want to be in a TT which is situated in the direct path of this storm.  Several years ago we were at Ocean Lakes when a tropical storm came in.  We were camped in the beachfront section, and they had us move a couple of blocks back.  It was still scary, and this storm is stronger than that one was.

It's always a tough call deciding whether or not to alter plans because a storm is churning out in the Gulf.

The only thing that we know for sure is that the "experts" are wrong more than they're right.

I was in Miami on Saturday morning and watched a live broadcast of a genius from the Weather Channel standing on Miami Beach telling me that a huge storm would soon be coming ashore.

It didn't.

Last night, I watched another Weather Channel genius standing on the coast at Cedar Key, just up the coast from me, telling me that the storm would be hitting there within the next few hours.

It didn't.

That storm is big and could get bigger.  And, it's going to hit land somewhere.  Nobody knows exactly where or when, or what will happen when it does.

What I do know is that RV's are not designed to offer any kind of protection from tropical storm force weather.

Why risk it?

TCD

58 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Sigh.... 14 years I've been trying to get to Savannah....

If you were going and staying in a hotel, I would probably say go for it, depending on any last minute path changes.

So far the wind predictions aren't very high, and they should die out a little at landfall, but I think you would be miserable camping this weekend.

We had plans on going to WDW this weekend, daughter is coming in from MN and wanted to see the Electric Parade.

But we are holding off booking rooms until we see where/when the storm is going.  It was supposed to hit the coast today so we figured maybe by Saturday Orlando would be clearing, but now with it hitting tomorrow, who knows.

This is the most current information on the Weather Channel's site:

hermine_zpsqlkm4ngy.jpg

Savannah is right in the area where there are Tropical Storm warnings.

It would be very foolish for anyone to intentionally travel into an area where there are storm warnings.

If you're safe where you are, stay there.

I hope these predictions are wrong, but if they're not, this storm is going to kill people.

TCD

9 minutes ago, parrothead7368 aka Norm said:

I'm headed to Myrtle Beach tomorrow morning and Darlington for the race on Sunday. I'll be driving right into the rain in the afternoon. Its supposed to be out of SC Saturday morning.

Be safe.

1 hour ago, Beckers said:

If you aren't loosing money on not going, I think I'd skip it. We have a rental at the jersey shore this weekend and we are going come hell or high water because it's non refundable lol.

We may or may not loose money (my guess is they might allow us to push the reservation or allow us to cancel w/o a fee because of the storm).

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

This is the most current information on the Weather Channel's site:

hermine_zpsqlkm4ngy.jpg

Savannah is right in the area where there are Tropical Storm warnings.

It would be very foolish for anyone to intentionally travel into an area where there are storm warnings.

If you're safe where you are, stay there.

I hope these predictions are wrong, but if they're not, this storm is going to kill people.

TCD

Yes, praying that is weakens not for us (we just want to go camping), but for those who live in the area.

We've pushed our departure to Saturday.  Unless the storm stalls, it should pass by late tomorrow (Friday).  

I don't know the exact timing for Savannah but we are supposed to see the storm come in tomorrow afternoon and it should clear out Saturday morning. Along our coast they are predicting 6-8 inches of rain and that is with us on the weaker side of the storm. I've also just seen that the governor has declared a state of emergency for the area and they are expecting flooding in Savannah and Tybey Island. With as low as a lot of that area it might take a while to dry out. If it were us we would probably postpone our trip for another time.

3 minutes ago, keith_h said:

I don't know the exact timing for Savannah but we are supposed to see the storm come in tomorrow afternoon and it should clear out Saturday morning. Along our coast they are predicting 6-8 inches of rain and that is with us on the weaker side of the storm. I've also just seen that the governor has declared a state of emergency for the area and they are expecting flooding in Savannah and Tybey Island. With as low as a lot of that area it might take a while to dry out. If it were us we would probably postpone our trip for another time.

Thank you... good info.

Here is an address for a couple of cams from a tree where Great Horned Owls nested in the Savanah area.

A branch broke off and the second camera is swaying in the wind.  There are two cams, from cam 1,  you can see the broken branch with the 2nd cam on it swinging in the breeze.  From cam 2 you could get sea sick.

http://cams.allaboutbirds.org/channel/46/Great_Horned_Owls/

2 hours ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Here is an address for a couple of cams from a tree where Great Horned Owls nested in the Savanah area.

A branch broke off and the second camera is swaying in the wind.  There are two cams, from cam 1,  you can see the broken branch with the 2nd cam on it swinging in the breeze.  From cam 2 you could get sea sick.

http://cams.allaboutbirds.org/channel/46/Great_Horned_Owls/

Yeah... I just got off the phone with Skidaway State Park about an hour ago and they said the park was open, but a mess (and there was still another couple of hours of high wind coming their way).  I'm on the phone right now with the reservations desk, trying to push our reservations to October.

2 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Yeah... I just got off the phone with Skidaway State Park about an hour ago and they said the park was open, but a mess (and there was still another couple of hours of high wind coming their way).  I'm on the phone right now with the reservations desk, trying to push our reservations to October.

Hoped that worked Nacole.

1 hour ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Hoped that worked Nacole.

Thank you.  Yes, it did.  They were able to push our reservations to October.... I called probably 15 places in TN, all were booked.  I then tried Topsail off Destin in FL and they had a spot.  I called the office and was told that the storm missed their CG and beach completely so.. yay!  At least we'll be camping this weekend :)

19 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Thank you.  Yes, it did.  They were able to push our reservations to October.... I called probably 15 places in TN, all were booked.  I then tried Topsail off Destin in FL and they had a spot.  I called the office and was told that the storm missed their CG and beach completely so.. yay!  At least we'll be camping this weekend :)

Good for you!  Wonderful that CG was spared.

1 hour ago, parrothead7368 aka Norm said:

Made it to Myrtle Beach, it wasn't a bad ride actually, must have been more inland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to hear! Enjoy your vacation. We are holding off until tomorrow morning and deciding then when we will go to ocean city. It sucks to have a rental sitting there and not use it the whole time but being caught in a storm doesn't sound fun either.