We were having lunch at Captain Cooks Saturday when my daughter found this post about a new "secret" dessert being offered at Whispering Canyon. It's not on the menu yet, so you have to ask for it.

The 10 Gallon Challenge.  It's akin to the kitchen sink but it's only $27.  It comes in a clear upside down cowboy hat.

It has the following:

scoops of vanilla, strawberry, chocolate, and mint chocolate chip ice creams, we substituted an extra chocolate for the strawberry

pineapple, strawberry, and caramel sauces

whole slice of apple pie

1 chocolate and 1 vanilla cupcake

layer of whipped cream

2 huge brownies

2 Mickey shaped sugar cookies with chocolate dipped ears

one banana cut in half

2 oreos

4 toasted marshmallows on a stick

2 pieces of dark chocolate covered BACON!

cherries

So Sunday I got us a late lunch reservation at Whispering Canyon after verifying that they indeed had this treat available.

After lunch we ordered it, and 4 adults and 2 kids devoured this.  It was great!

Pictures will be posted in our mini trip report.

27 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Wow.  I hadn't heard of this yet.

GDF's reference to an article got me looking, though.

Here's a post about it, including photos, from the Disney Food Blog: http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2016/09/01/review-10-gallon-challenge-at-whispering-canyon-cafe-in-disneys-wilderness-lodge/

TCD

That's the article my daughter saw that got us started on the quest to get one.

It wasn't easy, I wanted to find out if they were still offering it, since it was "secret" and a test, and I also wanted to see if it was offered for both lunch and dinner. 

So Sunday morning I tried finding a phone # for Whispering Canyon.  The one listed took me to the regular Disney Dining reservation service.  I explained what I was trying to do, and the CM gave me a direct # to WC.  SCORE!  But when i called, it was a disconnected  #.

We were heading to Epcot, so I decided to take a detour to WL and get first hand info.

I asked about the "secret desert" at the WC check in.  They said it wasn't so secret, and they were offering it at both lunch and dinner.  I was able to get us a late (2:05) lunch reservation.

I will try to get pictures posted in the next day or two.

58 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Did you eat lunch first, or just have the 10 Gallon Challenge?

TCD

When I booked the time, I was planning on just doing the 10 gallon since we all had breakfast buffet at the hotel where we stayed.

But everyone else was starving by 1:00 so we ended up having lunch first.

I had the quesadilla appetizer and split it with a daughter who got the fancy grilled cheese sandwich that we also split.  The other daughter and wife got turkey sandwiches, one granddaughter got the kids grilled cheese dippers, and the other got the kids salmon.

One server came over while we were waiting for them to bring out the 10 gallon, and said that a group of 9 the day before couldn't finish it.

We put them to shame...

• 1 month later...