We are coming down to the Fort with another fulltime family in October. We have camped together a few times and prefer sites where we can park so that our doors face each other vs. the usual "neighboring" sites.

I know the Fort doesn't have any back-in/pull-in buddy sites where your doors face each other. And frankly, we use our truck often enough that I wouldn't want to pull in and have it trapped (plus,

I don't like my sewer being in the shared yard).

What we did in NJ was that we got 2 sites that backed up to each other and then we just utilized the space between the rear of the campers and bad a nice long "yard".

Are there any premium loops that but back against another loop close enough to do the same? Or (and I think this is the case), would it be like walking through unkept woods to get to each other?

The irony here is that I love the wooded/separation of sites at the Fort and now I'm asking for the exact opposite!

You might get lucky but... October is pretty busy for The Fort, which means it will (probably) be full.  Best bet is to probably link your reservations in hopes of being next to one another.  If it wasn't full, then you could probably drive around and try and find two sites that do this (when we stayed in the 700 loop in April, the loop behind us (900 I think?) would have worked well for a "yard" between the two sites.

I'm guessing a wiser Fiend will be along soon, to offer better advise :)

I hope you get a good fit though!  Have a great time!!! 

21 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

You might get lucky but... October is pretty busy for The Fort, which means it will (probably) be full.  Best bet is to probably link your reservations in hopes of being next to one another.  If it wasn't full, then you could probably drive around and try and find two sites that do this (when we stayed in the 700 loop in April, the loop behind us (900 I think?)

It is the 800 loop that has some sites that back up to sites on the 700 loop.  I've camped on 811- and it backs up to the old train tracks, and sites 702 and 704 would be ideal buddy sites for 811 and 813.

Here's a photo taken from the back of 811- those trailers you see behind the bushes are in sites 702 and 704- that area in between could by your "yard.":

113014017_zps07f377e7.jpg

The "secret" notebook they have at the check in lanes actually lists some sites as good buddy sites.

The premium sites they list are:

402 and 404

517, 521 and 525

849 and 852

930 and 1005

932 and 1004

1311 and 1314

1312 and 1313

1404 and 1448

1424 and 1455

1424, 1425 and 1454

1445 and 1461

And one more suggestion- I'm not sure if you know, but they recently pulled all of the cabins off of the 2100 loop and made those sites into full hook-up campsites.  Several of the 2100 loop sites back up to premium sites on the 1100 loop.  The sites on 1100 would be 1116, 1117, 1119 and 1120.  I can't give you the site #'s on 2100, as they renumbered the sites and I don't have those numbers handy, but those would be another option.

TCD

14 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

It is the 800 loop that has some sites that back up to sites on the 700 loop.  I've camped on 811- and it backs up to the old train tracks, and sites 702 and 704 would be ideal buddy sites for 811 and 813.

Here's a photo taken from the back of 811- those trailers you see behind the bushes are in sites 702 and 704- that area in between could by your "yard.":

113014017_zps07f377e7.jpg

Yep...704 was our site in April so 811 or 813 must have been what we were looking at :)  

16 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

402/404 won't work since 404 has a long term occupant.

Good point.  And she isn't going anywhere soon. 

It's a tricky request.

16 hours ago, ependydad...Doug said:

Good stuff all around. TCD, you always amaze me with having so many pictures handy!

I'm happy to help.

It will be interesting to see what happens if you make this request.  Please let us know.

14 hours ago, Beckers said:

Seriously! I want to hire TCD to organize my pictures from every day life. 

First I have several boxes of negatives and print photos that I've put off digitizing.  I really need to get to those.  We took a lot of photos back in those pre-digital camera days, and they are not very well organized.

TCD

56 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

First I have several boxes of negatives and print photos that I've put off digitizing.  I really need to get to those.  We took a lot of photos back in those pre-digital camera days, and they are not very well organized.

TCD

A quick OT question:

I have the same problem, boxes and boxes of negatives, prints, and even trays of different size slides....

I have a nice flatbed Epson scanner that will do the job, but it will be slow work.  I have also seen some photo digitizers on Amazon that would be quicker, but all of them seem to be glorified cameras that take pictures of your pictures.

Have you decided what your method will be, and is there a solution that will give good results while also being faster/easier than a manual scanner?

21 minutes ago, Avatab.... Steve said:

A quick OT question:

I have the same problem, boxes and boxes of negatives, prints, and even trays of different size slides....

I have a nice flatbed Epson scanner that will do the job, but it will be slow work.  I have also seen some photo digitizers on Amazon that would be quicker, but all of them seem to be glorified cameras that take pictures of your pictures.

Have you decided what your method will be, and is there a solution that will give good results while also being faster/easier than a manual scanner?

No.  I've looked into it before, but everything I've seen looks like it will take me forever.

I recall that DIT once recommended a scanner to me that he said was quick and easy to use.  I saved that information somewhere, but it still seemed like a lot of work.

I also looked into places that offer to scan and digitize boxfuls of stuff at a time.  Those places sound too good to be true, and would add up to a lot of money.

It's not a high priority for me, but it is something I'd like to get done. 

TCD

A quick OT question:

We have an Epson scanner that does all the slides, negatives, pictures and such. It was a very time consuming feat to scan 12 slide reels, plus several boxes and a briefcase full but finally got them done. I can't off hand remember the model of the scanner but it can be loaded with 4-6 pics depending on size at a time and once you get the spacing down it will scan them as separate pictures instead of one page. What we did and I plan to do when I start scanning pictures again is to set it up on a rolling cart with a laptop and take it out to the living room so they can be scanned while watching tv in the evening. Our pictures are a jumbled mess so I just downloaded them to one folder (unless they are in an album) then sort them later into years or events. I also like to keep them backed up on 2 portable hard drives, one that staying in our go box for evacuation or to grab in an emergency and another for general use.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Derek,

You may want to add a couple of more drives to your plan and check on them frequently.  I had two Western Digital external drives that I saved all of the pictures on.  I last checked on them right before Christmas of last  year and they were fine.  I drug them back out last month to put more pics on and neither were accessible by any computer in my house or any of my work laptops.  I have one more option of breaking the enclosures they are in and then placing the drives in my hard drive dock but I'm afraid to find out that won't work either and I've lost everything.

I also back up my pictures to an external hard drive.  But I also back everything up online to Carbonite.  It's only around $59 a year and is great insurance.  I've had to retrieve all my files from them once when I had a hard drive failure.

On 9/13/2016 at 0:14 PM, Tri-Circle-D said:

No.  I've looked into it before, but everything I've seen looks like it will take me forever.

I recall that DIT once recommended a scanner to me that he said was quick and easy to use.  I saved that information somewhere, but it still seemed like a lot of work.

I also looked into places that offer to scan and digitize boxfuls of stuff at a time.  Those places sound too good to be true, and would add up to a lot of money.

It's not a high priority for me, but it is something I'd like to get done. 

TCD

I've been promising myself for the last five winters that I would tackle this.....

I think the trick is to find a quick but accurate scanner, maybe with some kind of auto-feed. Or failing that to get one of the "scanners" that are really cameras that have good ratings, are fast and will take all sizes of film and prints.

If DIT or anyone else knows of a good one of either kind I would like to hear about it.     B) 

On 9/13/2016 at 0:54 PM, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

We have an Epson scanner that does all the slides, negatives, pictures and such. It was a very time consuming feat to scan 12 slide reels, plus several boxes and a briefcase full but finally got them done. I can't off hand remember the model of the scanner but it can be loaded with 4-6 pics depending on size at a time and once you get the spacing down it will scan them as separate pictures instead of one page. What we did and I plan to do when I start scanning pictures again is to set it up on a rolling cart with a laptop and take it out to the living room so they can be scanned while watching tv in the evening. Our pictures are a jumbled mess so I just downloaded them to one folder (unless they are in an album) then sort them later into years or events. I also like to keep them backed up on 2 portable hard drives, one that staying in our go box for evacuation or to grab in an emergency and another for general use.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks Derek, that's the type of scanner I have, an Epson V500. It's great for small jobs but I am hoping to avoid having to use it for the tubs and tubs and tubs of family memories I have.  I must have 10-15 or more plastic tubs of negatives, prints, and also boxes and boxes of slides that my parents took way back when.

I even have stacks of CDs loaded with pictures from the first gen digital cameras I had, and I have no idea what to do with those either....  LOL!

Now, instead of CDs, I am collecting ziploc bags of CF and SD cards full of pics.

I agree with TCD, I wish I could send all this off to be done for me, but it would cost a fortune  :blink:

That is a really good idea about the rolling cart and watching TV, I may end up doing just that, thanks.

Apologies to Doug for the sidetrack  ;)

• 1 month later...

I ended up not asking for a back to back spot and put this request in via Jason:

"We also need to put in a request. The (friends) want to be on loop 400. So we need our request to be side by side sites on 400 that will fit two 40' fifth wheels with slides on both sides.

If we can't get onto 400, I'd prefer to try out one of the secret "buddy" sites. Loops 600, 700, 800 would be nice for proximity to the marina."

We are on the 1300 loop. Fortunately, I'm easy when it comes to sites AND it was super easy to park. But Disney really missed the mark with the request. I assume they had a reason for it and we are side by side, so that's good.