Saw some chatter on a different FB site last night about getting a refund because of the bad weather during last nights MNSSHP party,

The poster was telling people that if they went to Guest Service, they would be offered an admission to a different night, a full refund, or admission to the MK.

Anyone else see this, or have ever been offered something like this?

I saw a few pictures of soaked people before and during the party (guess they had heavy rains starting in the afternoon), and one person posted they waited until 9:30 before heading over. They said the crowds were low and the soaked streets made interesting photos.

It seems like there are reports like this after every rainy hard ticket party.

The tickets for the Halloween and Christmas party specifically say that they're non-refundable, but Disney does offer comp tickets to another party or a one-day MK admission when the weather results in most of the special entertainment for the party being cancelled.  The key to this seems to be that guests must ask at Guest Relations in City Hall before leaving the park.  The unfortunate thing about that is that there are often very long lines there, and many guests probably don't bother to wait and ask.

Disney always wins.

TCD

I'm kind of torn on this. It sucks to pay for something and the weather ruin it but that's the risk of buying ahead and doing outdoor things. we rented a shore house and sat/sun/mon (Tuesday we were allowed in up to our knees) the beaches were closed to swimming but there is no refunds, it's the risk you take booking an outdoor vacation. 

When I worked at six flags very seldom would they offer refund due to the weather but in order to get them you had to leave the park and got a big black x put on your hand so you couldn't try to re enter. 

34 minutes ago, Beckers said:

I'm kind of torn on this. It sucks to pay for something and the weather ruin it but that's the risk of buying ahead and doing outdoor things. we rented a shore house and sat/sun/mon (Tuesday we were allowed in up to our knees) the beaches were closed to swimming but there is no refunds, it's the risk you take booking an outdoor vacation. 

When I worked at six flags very seldom would they offer refund due to the weather but in order to get them you had to leave the park and got a big black x put on your hand so you couldn't try to re enter. 

As much as I criticize Disney for their greediness, I wouldn't fault them for taking a hard line approach to requests for refunds, especially for rainy September Halloween parties.  The September party dates are significantly cheaper than the October dates.  The reason for the discounts is to entice guests to come on the hotter and less desirable nights.  For each party night, Disney has to prepare and staff the party, and they are ready to deliver all of the party elements.  Disney doesn't save any money if it rains- all of those people still have to be paid. I, the guest, know that I'm taking a chance when I by a non-refundable ticket that my experience might be ruined by the weather.  If I want to reduce the risk, weather statistics clearly state that there is less chance of rain in October than in September.

It is extremely generous to give guests a ticket to another party, or for MK entrance- those tickets are more expensive than the discounted tickets the guest bought for the party.

TCD

21 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

As much as I criticize Disney for their greediness, I wouldn't fault them for taking a hard line approach to requests for refunds, especially for rainy September Halloween parties.  The September party dates are significantly cheaper than the October dates.  The reason for the discounts is to entice guests to come on the hotter and less desirable nights.  For each party night, Disney has to prepare and staff the party, and they are ready to deliver all of the party elements.  Disney doesn't save any money if it rains- all of those people still have to be paid. I, the guest, know that I'm taking a chance when I by a non-refundable ticket that my experience might be ruined by the weather.  If I want to reduce the risk, weather statistics clearly state that there is less chance of rain in October than in September.

It is extremely generous to give guests a ticket to another party, or for MK entrance- those tickets are more expensive than the discounted tickets the guest bought for the party.

TCD

Does anyone know if they really did offer a refund, or is it just a good rumor?

6 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Does anyone know if they really did offer a refund, or is it just a good rumor?

If you mean a refund- like giving the guest his money back and not a comp ticket, then no, I haven't heard a credible report of that happening.

I will add that I did get a complete refund to my credit card for the infamous Villains Unleashed special event that took place at DHS in 2014, so it is not unheard of for Disney to actually issue refunds to guests for nonrefundable tickets.

TCD

3 minutes ago, Travisma said:

I just meant any type of refund/ comp for the weather last night.  I know the tickets are sold rain or shine.  I could see them issuing something if they closed the park, but if it was open and crappy weather they have no obligations.

I can't address last night, but I can tell you that I have heard first hand, credible, reports from people I know who received refunds at past Halloween parties where the weather was particularly bad.  Last night's storm included heavy rain and lightning, which resulted in the first parade being cancelled and attractions and meet and greets being shut down for a few hours.  That's the kind of weather that typically will result in offers of comp tickets but not actual refunds.

TCD

So what makes the parties so special that they would have this policy? It pours rain/thunders when I'm in the parks and all the outdoor rides are closed and the parades and nighttime spectaculars I've looked forward to seeing are cancelled.  It rains after I've been at the waterpark only two hours and I'd planned to spend the entire day floating in the lazy river and plunging down a 500 ft waterslide. Those park admissions were removed from my Magic Band and I wasn't able to do what I'd planned because of the weather.  I flew all the way there from Timbuktu for three days and spent my last dollar from my vacation budget for 10 years.  At least with MNSSHP one can stuff oneself with "free" candy in disappointment. 

15 minutes ago, Seals said:

So what makes the parties so special that they would have this policy? It pours rain/thunders when I'm in the parks and all the outdoor rides are closed and the parades and nighttime spectaculars I've looked forward to seeing are cancelled.  It rains after I've been at the waterpark only two hours and I'd planned to spend the entire day floating in the lazy river and plunging down a 500 ft waterslide. Those park admissions were removed from my Magic Band and I wasn't able to do what I'd planned because of the weather.  I flew all the way there from Timbuktu for three days and spent my last dollar from my vacation budget for 10 years.  At least with MNSSHP one can stuff oneself with "free" candy in disappointment. 

Good point.

I know that there used to be a rain check policy at the waterparks.  Here's a photo of a sign that was posted at Typhoon Lagoon.  I'm not sure if the policy still exists, because I couldn't find it anywhere on an official Disney site:

weather%20policy_zpsrq7g2dql.jpg

From my perspective, the only things I really want to see or do at the parties is the parade, fireworks and stage shows.  My kids like some of the meet and greets, although this year's options were a disappointment.  If most of that special stuff can't be enjoyed, then it is a very nice gesture on Disney's part to offer a comp ticket of some kind to the guests.

TCD

49 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Good point.

I know that there used to be a rain check policy at the waterparks.  Here's a photo of a sign that was posted at Typhoon Lagoon.  I'm not sure if the policy still exists, because I couldn't find it anywhere on an official Disney site:

weather%20policy_zpsrq7g2dql.jpg

From my perspective, the only things I really want to see or do at the parties is the parade, fireworks and stage shows.  My kids like some of the meet and greets, although this year's options were a disappointment.  If most of that special stuff can't be enjoyed, then it is a very nice gesture on Disney's part to offer a comp ticket of some kind to the guests.

TCD

I guess I missed the waterpark sign. We spent 3.5 hours at Blizzard Beach before the weather started to turn but we were done anyway. 

We have attended the Halloween Party in some pretty awful weather with much of the "special" entertainment being abbreviated or cancelled and have never thought to ask for a refund.  From my point of view, the ticket says non-refundable, so we made the best of what we could do, including eating way too much candy.  I do have friends that were given a cash refund for the party when their child was knocked down by some exuberant attendees while waiting for a wristband.  His arm was broken and, clearly, the family had received no value for the ticket.  For me that is a valid reason for requesting a refund.  

In 2014 my family and my daughters in-law family (total of 11 tickets) went to the last night of MVMCP.  One of my children lost something , can't remember what it was and was sent to Guest Services to see if it had been turned in there and to file a report in case it was found. That night it rained  and both parades were cancelled. While standing in line I heard the many complaints about not seeing the parade and wanting compensation for it. Guest Services with no hesitation offered tickets to the MK for the day that the parade was just like the party's. While inquiring about our lost item the guest service girl offered us tickets to the MK due to the rain. Only hitch was we would not be able to get the tickets from will call till after noon. My family has annual passes I made to offer to the other family but they were fine not returning. Guest services didn't even think twice about giving 11 tickets to the MK during the busy time. 

It would not surprise me if they didn't offer something to those who went and complained. 

A side to note to the night we went to the Christmas party when we were entering there was a couple with two children that insisted that they were told the party was included on their tickets. In the end they were given access without paying. 

This story doesn't apply to MNSSHP, but I thought I would share...

My daughter was at the park last weekend with three of her friends from college. The four of them ended up being stuck on Pirates of Caribbean for two hours. Once they shut off all the power to the ride, a cast member jumped down into the water to pull their boat backwards to another "room" of the ride so that they could disembark and walk through backstage to return to the park. As they exited into Adventureland, they were given fast passes and a Mickey bar. " The cast member said, "Hey, you guys are getting a free tour of backstage!" It was late in the evening without enough time left in the day to use the fast passes and being stuck sitting on the ride for all that time was a less than magical end to their day. My daughter decided to go to Guest Services to explain that useless fast passes and a Mickey bar wasn't sufficient. She stayed calm and explained that she felt losing so much of the one day they had planned in the parks was unacceptable. After lengthy discussion, she and her friends were each given a one day park hopper ticket with no expiration date and their taxi ride to return to their hotel was paid for by the Mouse. She had requested a full or partial refund, but the cast member explained that since it was so late in the day, there was no way to provide a refund. She had to be persistent, but I was impressed that WDW did so much to make them satisfied.

3 hours ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

That's good news.  Bet this made a difference too...."She stayed calm and explained ".... in how she was treated.

Yes! That is key. She did the college program at Disneyland a couple of years ago and she noticed that the cast member she was talking with was a college program member too. It is important to remember that the cast members are there because they want to be part of making your experience at WDW a magical one; they usually are as much a fan of all things Disney as you are! 

6 hours ago, Friend of a Fiend ... Pam said:

Yes! That is key. She did the college program at Disneyland a couple of years ago and she noticed that the cast member she was talking with was a college program member too. It is important to remember that the cast members are there because they want to be part of making your experience at WDW a magical one; they usually are as much a fan of all things Disney as you are! 

Is she going to use it at Christmas?