Castaway Cay

This was just released on ChipCo.com

http://www.chipandco.com/castaway-cay-re-open-little-no-damage-250537/

Apparently there was very little damage and they are open for business once again.  All the staff have returned and it is business as usual.

Castaway-Cay-700x466.jpg

photo credit Chipandco.com

I'm glad to hear this, but I'm also very surprised.

All I saw and heard last weekend was how the Bahamas were getting absolutely pulverized by Hurricane Matthew and that Florida would be next.

The structures on Castaway Cay are not very substantial.  If the storm was as strong as reported, I don't see how all of those private cabanas would still be standing.

In Florida, they went to the extreme measures of evacuating Port Canaveral, closing schools, and issuing hurricane warnings as far inland as Orlando.

Did the media exaggerate the severity of Hurricane Matthew, and if so, why?

TCD

1 hour ago, DaveInTN said:

I don't think anyone in the Carolinas would answer yes to that question.  

10 minutes ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

That's what I was thinking.

I know it was a big storm, and that there were valid concerns, and that the flooding in the Carolinas is horrendous.

But, how did a storm with 100+ MPH winds not level everything on Castaway Cay when it was parked over the Bahamas for a day?

TCD

I agree with TCD, the buildings look like old shacks, must be built better than they look. I thought a good wind of hurricane force would level most of them. The designers did a real good job of making them just look old and falling in, but with a solid build. 

6 hours ago, BigTom said:

I agree with TCD, the buildings look like old shacks, must be built better than they look. I thought a good wind of hurricane force would level most of them. The designers did a real good job of making them just look old and falling in, but with a solid build. 

The little cabanas they built on the beach are just wood frames and plywood. 

All reports I've seen is that there is NO visible damage on the island.  Nothing.  Not even a palm frond blown down.

We visited Castaway Cay in 2004 and 2005 after the busy hurricane seasons those two years, and there was a lot of damage to the island and dead vegetation everywhere.

I just can't understand how a Category 4 hurricane which passed right over the island didn't cause ANY damage.

Something is not adding up here.

TCD

13 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Or maybe it wasn't a Category 4, and the media exaggerated the severity of the storm for some reason?

TCD

Don`t know, it messed up Haiti and Saint Augustine real good, a well as North Carolina. We didn`t get much here though.

On 10/13/2016 at 10:18 AM, DaveInTN said:

it wont let me clear a quote from before. It could be the island may have been in a lull area of the storm. I was watching this thing like crazy. A i did have customers who might be affected not to mention friends in the path. And b I studied meteorology as a hobby years and years ago and tracking and predicting storms is a hobby for me. This truly was as powerful as it was made out to be but with any storms there are ebbs and flows not to mention wind direction can play a strong roll as well. It may be that when it passed through this particular area there was an ebb in that part of the storm. 

It may also be that after the earlier storms TCD mentioned Disney tooks steps to reinforce the structures in unobtrusive ways and have worked to cut down on potentially damaging trees. Also with the Dream cruise cancelled it was a pretty decent amount of time between Castaway Cay stops. Perhaps what did come down got cleaned up. 

5 minutes ago, BigTom said:

Don`t know, it messed up Haiti and Saint Augustine real good, a well as North Carolina. We didn`t get much here though.

No question that it was strong when it hit Haiti.

It seems like the damage to St. Augustine and the Carolinas is more from water and tides than wind.  More consistent with a tropical storm than a hurricane.

3 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

it wont let me clear a quote from before. It could be the island may have been in a lull area of the storm. I was watching this thing like crazy. A i did have customers who might be affected not to mention friends in the path. And b I studied meteorology as a hobby years and years ago and tracking and predicting storms is a hobby for me. This truly was as powerful as it was made out to be but with any storms there are ebbs and flows not to mention wind direction can play a strong roll as well. It may be that when it passed through this particular area there was an ebb in that part of the storm. 

It may also be that after the earlier storms TCD mentioned Disney tooks steps to reinforce the structures in unobtrusive ways and have worked to cut down on potentially damaging trees. Also with the Dream cruise cancelled it was a pretty decent amount of time between Castaway Cay stops. Perhaps what did come down got cleaned up. 

I watched it very closely myself. I've been through enough hurricanes to know that they are unpredictable, and can and have turned to follow unpredicted paths.

I also had a child in Orlando at the time who was on "Essential Personnel" duty for her university's residence hall, and I was quite alarmed at the reports that there could be hurricane force winds in Orlando.

And here in Florida, our local TV stations go in full hurricane coverage mode when there's a storm approaching.  I watched all of it with great and vested interest.

When the storm was parked over the Bahamas, all I heard on the Weather Channel was that the islands were being ripped apart by 100+ MPH winds.  Nobody said anything about ebbs and flows.

The anecdotal reports I've heard from Castaway Cay is that they had little wind, and the crew left on the island didn't have to take shelter.  The storm was on Thursday/Friday October 6 and 7, and the Dream visited the island early on the 13th- 5 days later.

Anyone who has seen a hurricane in action will tell you that there's no way a wood frame and plywood shack will remain standing after a 100 MPH winds.  Those cabanas weren't on Castaway Cay in 2004 and 2005.  This was the first time they would have been subjected to hurricane force winds.  From what I'm hearing, they didn't even lose a single shingle.

All I'm saying is that I've never heard of a Category 4 Hurricane passing over an area and leaving no damage.

TCD

Maybe they just had  magical day with pixie dust sprinkled on it. Something sure seems a little odd about it, I have been in several hurricanes and never seen one with no damage to the buildings, even the one designed to stand hurricane force winds usually get a little damage.