LSU pre-trip report

When: Nov 17th-21st

Who: Me- Fan of Football- mostly ND but have started to cheer for LSU

Hubby- Pitt fan

Son- 13- reason for the trip- loves LSU. 2nd grade teacher assigned his group the LSU Tigers and it has stuck with him

Adult Friend- lives in Georgia another Pitt fan also cheers for Penn State

Son's friend- Also cheers for LSU thanks to son 

Leaving from Philly to Atlanta

Plan is to meet up with Friends in Atlanta then all drive together to LSU. I started planning this trip in March of 2016. Wanted something special for my son's birthday. This trip will now be even more memorable due to hurricane Matthew. The Florida vs LSU game got cancelled and is now rescheduled for that weekend. We wont have a whole lot of time to explore but its more about the experience for my son and hoping to do some tailgating and seeing the campus. Super excited!!!! 

I knew you would reply (well actually I hoped you would) Yes we are- using Tripadvisor(first time using Tripadvisor- thanks to you)tried trip  at one of the hotels not too far from the stadium and I had purchased tickets back in March for this weekend which was some team I had never heard of but worked with my son's ice hockey schedule. Our very good friend of ours (Huge Gator fan)was going to come with us but backed out which she is now kicking herself for. Her and my son always watch this game together. 

A couple of words of caution. Wear good walking shoes, and I hope you are not afraid of heights. The stadium is steep to say the least, especially if you are in the 600 sections. It was a 1.6 mile walk from the parking area to the stadium. There are no buses but there are vendors that offer bicycle powered buggy rides for $25 per person one way. That is unless you have scored a parking pass. We stayed at a hotel on Seigen Lane. It is a nice part of town with lots of restaurants close. Then you can get to the River Road and come up to the campus from the south side avoiding almost all the traffic to get to the parking area, a very large hay field. Leaving out that way also avoids all the traffic. Perkin's Row shopping and dining area is a nice place during the daytime but should be avoided when the sun sets. Lot's of crime then. Like I said, I will be glad to answer any specific questions you may have.

Work and sports got in the way sorry for the delay. We are staying at the Hampton Inn on I-10. We check in on Friday and are leaving Sunday. Not a very long stay but enough time to watch the game. Any suggestions on where to eat would be greatly appreciated. Also any must see on the campus would be great too. None of have ever been here. Thanks again for any help. 

Zea Rotisserie and Grill near Whole Foods on Corporate BLVD. try the Thai Ribs and the Corn Grits. 

Louisiana Lagniappe on Perkin's Road, a very good cajun/louisiana restaurant.

Sullivan's Steakhouse across the interstate from your hotel. This is a very good place but a bit pricey and has a business casual dress code.

Visit the "Mike the Tiger" enclosure. A bit sad since Mike died a couple of weeks ago, but still nice to see. Be sure and get to the stadium 3-4 hours before the game and just visit the tailgaters. It is almost as good as the "Grove" in Oxford. (Hotty Toddy!)

Thank you Specularius. I had heard about Mike- very sad. My son is so bummed. Will they eventually get another tiger? Are there any bookstores that are better than others. The only campuses I have been to are ND and Penn State. ND has two and are about the same and Penn State has like 5. Penn State has one that is pretty close to the stadium. Does LSU have any close to the stadium? Thanks again for all your help 

I believe there is only one bookstore on campus, a Barnes & Noble. Seems like every university in the country has signed contracts with B&N to operate their bookstores. It is a couple of blocks from the stadium. They are working hard on a new Mike now. I am sure that there will be a new Mike in the future.

52 minutes ago, Specularius said:

I believe there is only one bookstore on campus, a Barnes & Noble. Seems like every university in the country has signed contracts with B&N to operate their bookstores. It is a couple of blocks from the stadium. They are working hard on a new Mike now. I am sure that there will be a new Mike in the future.

A woman I work with boyfriend has been on the crew that does the conversions.  He owned the company sold it, retired for a while then went back doing it.  I think this is the 4th or 5th year he's been doing it.  He's gone for months at a time on some jobs.

• 4 weeks later...