Late October Trip to Great Smokey Mountains Tn

This will be my first ever trip report, and it may be a bit heavy on pictures so sorry...

My sister and her family lives in the Knoxville area so we decided to do a relaxing trip down to Great Smokey Mountains national park, and visit with the family.  Turns 2 of her 3 girls had a cheer function in Pigonforge that weekend, bonus.

So on Wednesday we packed up the truck hitched up the camper and were on the road heading south on 75 by 9am.  Traffic was light and everyone but me got to nap.  Five hours and a few pitstops later we pulled into Ancor Down RV park

IMG_5514.jpg

Great place super friendly and very quite after dark..

Camp was set up quickly and dinner was started, Hmmmm chili

Cody made great use of the abundance of stones for his many, many, MANY tractors we had to pack..

20161020_182835.jpg

After dinner, it was warm, around 80f or so.  The decision was made to head down to the pool and splash around a bit, Only one small problem. DAD forgot to pack codys swim trunks.  So we got to swim in a swim diaper and t-shirt..  He's 2 he didn't care, Mom was a bit annoyed.

IMG_20161019_182001.jpg

As it got later, and the sun started to set we decided to head back to the camper, get showered up and try to get the boy to sleep.  We had big plans for Thursday.  Go into Gatlinburg, and then head into the mountains for some hiking!!

Day 2 posted tomorrow.  

I've driven through that campground and would like to stay there sometime, but would like to stay in cold weather.  Lack of trees but beautiful fireplaces and/or firepits at the sites makes me think I'd enjoy a Thanksgiving stay there sometime....or at least early November.  Summer would be great if you are into water sports on the lake.  

One thing that concerned me was the distance to GBurg from there.  How long did that drive take?  Did you go through PF or take a back route?

We love the smokies almost more than Disney. I'm always looking for new and interesting campgrounds even though we love smoky bear campground. I got on the anchor down website and looked at the photos. It floors me how places claim to be luxurious when there is hardly a tree on the property. I mean the fire pits look nice and all but the aerial shots look like an RV dealership.  I know each their own, but camping to me is being in the woods with some space between campers. It looks like a very clean place and with the lake, I'm sure it has a lot of activities. I would think you would have at least an 45 min to an hour drive to Gatlinburg depending where on the lake this campground is. Look forward to reading more. 

On 11/6/2016 at 7:35 AM, DaveInTN said:

I've driven through that campground and would like to stay there sometime, but would like to stay in cold weather.  Lack of trees but beautiful fireplaces and/or firepits at the sites makes me think I'd enjoy a Thanksgiving stay there sometime....or at least early November.  Summer would be great if you are into water sports on the lake.  

One thing that concerned me was the distance to GBurg from there.  How long did that drive take?  Did you go through PF or take a back route?

If you intend to do a trip in cooler weather be sure and check their website, they are not open year round.

Halloween weekend it was just under 2 hours to get from that campground to the aquarium in Gatlinburg. That was avoiding the parkway as much as possible. Traffic was bad....real bad.

Anchor Down is a wonderful hidden gem out of the hustle an bustle of the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg Parkway.  We have stayed their many times and I can tell you that they do it right from the sights, landscape, views, amenities and treatment from the staff.  We do not go into Gatlinburg, but occasionally do go to Dollywood.  You can take the back way to Dollywood and it is about a 35 minute drive from the campground. The best thing is when you checkout you do night have to fight the parkway traffic to get back to the interstate.  A quick 3.9 mile trip and you are back to the interstate!

While they may not have many tall trees they make up for it with everything else and they are continually investing in the property year after year.  It is an ideal place in Spring and Fall before it gets too hot, but we have been there in the middle of summer as well.  Just try to get on the upper level or a sight where your patio is facing the morning sunrise.  This way you will have evening shade. If you are interested in staying there book well in advance as they are usually full and holidays are booked a year + in advance.

17 hours ago, weekender said:

Anchor Down is a wonderful hidden gem out of the hustle an bustle of the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg Parkway.  We have stayed their many times and I can tell you that they do it right from the sights, landscape, views, amenities and treatment from the staff.  We do not go into Gatlinburg, but occasionally do go to Dollywood.  You can take the back way to Dollywood and it is about a 35 minute drive from the campground. The best thing is when you checkout you do night have to fight the parkway traffic to get back to the interstate.  A quick 3.9 mile trip and you are back to the interstate!

While they may not have many tall trees they make up for it with everything else and they are continually investing in the property year after year.  It is an ideal place in Spring and Fall before it gets too hot, but we have been there in the middle of summer as well.  Just try to get on the upper level or a sight where your patio is facing the morning sunrise.  This way you will have evening shade. If you are interested in staying there book well in advance as they are usually full and holidays are booked a year + in advance.

Agree that it is a great CG with great staff and noticeable reinvestment in the amenities. We have stayed several times as well, both in the middle tier and up on the ridge where the tree line is. It is our opinion that mid June to the end of August is a no go for us, as it is HOT. With all of the asphalt absorbing the heat during the day, evenings are still very warm. This is a spring or fall destination for us.

It is also an upper end resort, as they do not allow Pop-up campers or hybrids, no tents. Basically anything with fabric is not allowed, solid walls only. If you read their "rules" section it is quite extensive. Not trying to be a downer on this at all, just trying to point out PROS and CONS for everyone.

Sorry for the massive delay in posting, The morning after posting this I was struck with the flu and just started to move around the house.

So day 2 (Thursday) we woke up and it was a beautiful day another 78+ temp and not a cloud to be seen.   The plan was to go into GSM National Park and do some hiking, then do lunch in Gatlinburg and shop the craft fair.

20161021_102601.jpg

My wife loves to take nature photos so we stopped a several overlooks and snapped pictures of the trees changing color.  It was really beautiful.

We stopped at the visitors center and it was a mad house, so we checked out the museum for a few minutes then headed to the nature trail right out back.  It splits off and heads over to a waterfall and that was our destination for this hike.  I was in charge of keeping an eye on the boy and my wife was charged with navigation.  We ended up about 2/3 of a mile down the wrong trail and had to back track and so the boy was started to show signs of fatigue. 

IMG_20161020_101209.jpg

We finally made it to was was described as a "Majestic waterfall"   I'm sure with enough rain its beautiful, but at the time we arrived it was far less majestic than expected. 

IMG_20161020_103335.jpg

So we turned around and headed back down to trail to basecamp and to the truck to head into Gatlinburg for lunch.  Not with out Cody requiring several stops to export the wilds of Tenn.

IMG_20161020_103902.jpg

We finally made it to the truck headed into Gatlinburg Parking in the first parking lot next to the parking garage for convienance.  Some reason neither my wife nor I have photos from Gatlinburg, mostly due to the boy sleeping most of it after his adventurous morning.

So after some shopping we headed back to the camper to make dinner and relax in what was expected to be the final night of warm weather.  After dinner there was some mountain climbing.

20161020_182835.jpg

Some rock sliding, turns out its better than a real slide.

20161020_183430.jpg

20161020_183954.jpg

Then some gentle banter about what candidate would in the upcoming elections    Then off to bed, long cold day tomorrow!

22 hours ago, keith_h said:

Our hope is to make it out that way in the next year or two for a fall trip. Most waterfalls need to be seen in the spring and while they are nice to see we would rather go for the fall colors. 

Plan for a long stay.  The trees don't like to work on a schedule from what I've been told.

I'm in!  What a cute boy you have, love that you do hikes with him at his young age.  This camp site looks very nice with the fire pit.

I took a week trip to VA in the middle of October,  planning to enjoy cool weather and pretty leaves.  What a surprise, the sides of the Blue Ridge were still green. Though I was lucky enough to see quite a few tees that were in the process of turning colors. 

12 hours ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

I'm in!  What a cute boy you have, love that you do hikes with him at his young age.  This camp site looks very nice with the fire pit.

I took a week trip to VA in the middle of October,  planning to enjoy cool weather and pretty leaves.  What a surprise, the sides of the Blue Ridge were still green. Though I was lucky enough to see quite a few tees that were in the process of turning colors. 

He's an amazing 25 month old Boy that's for sure.  He loves hiking, as long as he can start out on foot and move to the backpack once he gets tired.

7 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I just got a chance to read your report.  Great job so far! 

I LOL'd at Cody's mountain climbing.  Very funny.

Please keep posting.

TCD

Thx for the positive feedback!  

Ok its Friday and the cold weather moved in overnight I believe it was in the mid 40s when we got up but Dad did something right for a change and made sure the heat was on so it was warm and toasty in the camper.   Mommy isn't much of an morning person, and well Cody just wants to play in the morning and sometimes this causes conflicts. 

IMG_20161020_131603.jpg

As I was making breakfast I kept hearing Cody say bumpy.  I went back to inspect what was going on and found the tractor trying to scoop Mommy's head from Cody's Pluto pillow.  I was amused, Mommy wasn't.

Well after a big hardy breakfast cooked over open, propane fire it was time to bundle up and head out for today's adventure, where we would meet up with Gaga, and one of the three cousins for a great day.

As we were loading up I noticed this beauty that somehow slipped in like a ninja in the night.

IMG_20161021_081014.jpg

Turns out this person, and several others 7 figure RV were all headed to Bristle motor speedway Sunday for the race and camping near us for 2 nights before going to the race.  Peasants... 

IMG_20161021_115348.jpg

BAM didn't see Dollywood coming, did you?  It's my wife's first ever trip and of, course my sons first ever trip.  I interrupted his jumping in puddles to snap this quick selfy and it put a damper in his mood.  But shortly after the selfy Gagga and cousin 3 showed up and EVERYTHING turned magical.

After entering the park it was time to eat as it was nearing 12:00 and Daddy gets crabby if Cody doesn't eat on time so we headed to Backstate Restaurant.  This place has HANDS DOWN the best meatloaf, out side my wives, I've ever had. (sorry no pictures was hungry and fending off a 2 year old who was trying to bogart my lunch instead of eating his soup),

Then it was time to ride some rides, If you've ever been with me to a thrill park in the past (20 years ago) you know the rule ride the big ones early and often.

IMG_20161021_133557.jpg

So off to county fair land to ride Sideshow Spin.  Somehow daddy got sidelined to hold the bags while Mommy took Cody, and Gagga took Cousin 3 on the mega coaster.  

Well several other rides were enjoyed and it started to get damn and the train was due to pull out of the station and there was no way I was missing a ride on the Dollywood Express so I suggested we "slow things down" and enjoy a ride through the mountains.  If you've never ridden the Dollywood Express let me tell you something, you are missing out on an Amazing bit of American history thats being perfectly preserved and operated.  The Locomotive thats at the heart of the Dollywood Express is named Cinderella.  It was built in 1938 and used to move troops and goods along the White Pass Road Road in Alaska before and During World War 2.  I love all of Disneys steam trains but they are replicas burning diesel or propane.  Cinderella burns Coal, weighs in at 235,000 lbs  empty.  When it moves, anything within 20 feet feels its power.

IMG_20161021_140336.jpg

So gagga, cousin 3, mommy, cody and I took our place and headed up the mountain on Cinderella, the world war 2 vet still working hard today.

IMG_20161021_140346.jpg

The views along the way are nice, but feeling the power of this train pull all these people up a 6% grade and hearing the Chug Chug is breath taking.

IMG_20161021_140710.jpg

At the top of the track is a huge loop where you get the see the train, and they do a massive whistle blow that I have video of but can't get it to post.  Never the less you turn around come back down they hill, around another big loop and back into the station.  Everytime i've had the privilage to ride White Pass #70 Cinderella its been a treat.

It was getting late, and we were due to have dinner with Cousins 1&2 and Aunt Amy so only time for one more ride, if my favorite land at Dollywood. 

20161021_161904.jpg

Cody driving me on The Rocking Roadsters.  Upon beginning our journey it was beginning to sprinkle, by the time we disembarked, it was a full on monsoon.  So up went the umbrellas and to the cars we went.

No pictures from dinner due to far too much going on, and Cody being exhausted and wanting to be held by Daddy, and let's face it Daddy can't say no to a reasonable request.  The others were all staying at the Island in Pigeon Forge so we met there and had dinner at Timberwood Grill where cody and I split a really great chicken pot pie.  Then it was back to the camper, and direct to bed, it was after 8 and tomorrow was another long day of adventures. 

So Saturday started and it was our final full day camping.  I woke up early 5:45 and the rest of the house was still fast asleep.  I stealthily snuck out of the camper and went for a long walk around the camp ground.  Several of the larger bus style campers were breaking camp and headed do Bristle for the race.  I was lucky enough to get a guided tour of one of them, and it was fantastic.  But heated marble floors really just are not my cup of tea.  

By the end of my walk around 7:45 most of the early risers were up and about and lot of campers breaking camp and headed out.  I strolled back to the camper to find mommy and Cody attempting to take a shower.  Most of the bathroom was washed down and a small, wet and naked boy was on the lose.  After getting him dry and dressed we got the camp cooking stuff out and started making breakfast, Pancakes and sausage hmmmm.

20161022_094845.jpg

Funny story with keeping him in the pack n play.  He can climb out and did one evening while wife and I were outside.  He locked the door, and began flushing the toilet.  Wife panicked I simply knocked on the door and waited for him to open it.  Lesson learned, always have keys with you.

We then made the decision to travel around to some other camp grounds and get a fell for them and their location.  We loved Anchor down, but its a bit of a drive into the mountains and next spring we are thinking of coming back and staying in the mountains.  

At lunch time we met up with the rest of the family and had lunch then shopping at the outlets, because why not.

Hours later it was time to go see cousin 1 and 2 preform in the cheer competition.  

20161022_163129.jpg

Thankfully there were thousands of kids around to keep him occupied and allow me time do just sit and do some good relaxing, something I didn't get enough of on the trip and never seem to get enough of.

After the competition, we headed back to the camper, cleaned up had an amazing dinner and sat watching the stars for a few hours as the cold really set in.  Sunday was going to be a relaxing travel day.  Our drive home was 4 1/2 hours + any stops and with how little sleep the boy was getting I knew he would sleep most of the way home.

Sunday morning came at 6:45 when the boy decided it was time to wake up.  The wife and boy headed off to find some donuts while I packed up the camper.  I was also going to winterized the camper before we took off so I didn't have to do it at home.  By 9am we had finished packing had everything ready to go and had gone to the comfort station to get our showers and ready for the drive home.  By 9:30 we were on 40 west and everyone but me was fast asleep.  Successful vacation.  

Okay... all caught up :)

First, your little man is too stinkin' cute!  I love, love that age.  When they're so interested in everything, but still have their sweet, squishy baby rolls.  Oh... this mama's heart!  I will say, the rocks at the campground always make me so nervous.  Our little man turns 5 this weekend and I'm still holding his hand when he climbs on those things.  Of course, he runs into walls and trips over his own two feet often so, maybe I have reason to worry...haha :)

We went to Dollywood in September and enjoyed it as well.  It's a really nice park and the scenery is so pretty.

What camper do y'all have?

On 11/16/2016 at 8:29 AM, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Okay... all caught up :)

First, your little man is too stinkin' cute!  I love, love that age.  When they're so interested in everything, but still have their sweet, squishy baby rolls.  Oh... this mama's heart!  I will say, the rocks at the campground always make me so nervous.  Our little man turns 5 this weekend and I'm still holding his hand when he climbs on those things.  Of course, he runs into walls and trips over his own two feet often so, maybe I have reason to worry...haha :)

We went to Dollywood in September and enjoyed it as well.  It's a really nice park and the scenery is so pretty.

What camper do y'all have?

The boy does make me nervous but hes not really a daredevil so he calls for help long before I get nervous about what hes doing.

We are currently camping in a 2015 Keystone Cougar 333mks.  My wife has been hinting at the idea to get a mid bunk 5er